Life is full of surprises

It can't be someone else, it has to be you.

“Park Se Young-ssi?”

 

Se Young was quite startled to hear her name being called out, even though the voice sounded familiar. She lifted her head and blinked a few times.

Psy: aaah.. sunbaenim..

 

Se Young stood up abruptly and bowed at him.

Lsw: what are you doing here all alone? Aren’t you coming up to Woori’s?

 

Every cell in her brain worked hard to find an excuse, meeting someone from the drama cast was the last thing she expected at that moment.
Psy: I don’t feel good suddenly, maybe it was something I ate. I think it’s better for me to go home.

Lsw: have you told Woori?

Psy: I have, I called her just now. I thought you were already there, sunbaenim.

Lsw: oh, I had to do some errands before coming here. I spotted you immediately when I enter this building. I was not sure but then I recognized the dress you’re wearing.
Psy: aaahh..

 

They both sat down on the sofa. Se Young felt extremely uncomfortable, she prayed hard that she wouldn’t have to wait long until Soo Jin arrive.

Lsw: you look pale se young-ssi, are you okay? How are you going home?

 

Lee Sang Woo slightly put his hand on Se Young’s back, but pulled it back almost instantaneously because he realized that it was not appropriate for him to do that, they’re not close.

Psy: I’m waiting someone to pick me up

Lsw: how long do you have to wait? You’re complexion doesn’t look good, seriously..

Psy: I don’t feel that bad, really.

Lsw: well, I was driving my own car, would you like me to take you home?

 

Lee Sang Woo was expressing his genuine concern over Se Young’s condition, hence the offer to take her home personally.

Psy: it’s okay sunbaenim, I think they’re close.

Lsw: they? Who’s picking you up? Your staff?

Psy: yes.

Lsw: okay then, I’ll wait with you until they get here.

Psy: you don’t have to. I bet the others are waiting for you.

Lsw: nah, it’s okay. They can wait a little longer.

They didn’t talk much. Eventhough they play as a couple on their current drama but they’re not close in real life. Thankfully, Se Young’s phone buzzed after 10 minutes. 
Psy: hello..

Jsj: se young-ah, I’m at the front, do I need to park my car?

Psy: no, don’t. I’m coming out.

Jsy: okay, I’m waiting near the security post.

Psy: okay.

Se Young stood up immediately.

Psy: sunbaenim, thank you for waiting here with me, send my regards to the others. I’m going now.. 
Lsw: okay se young-ssi, be safe and get well soon.

Se Young bowed and walked straight toward the entrance, eager to meet Soo Jin. Neither Lee Sang Woo or Se Young were paying attention to someone hiding in one corner of the lobby, taking pictures of their brief moment together. Se Young  spotted Soo Jin’s white sedan near the security post. She was about to sprint but then she remembered that she was supposed to be sick. She walked casually and stepped in Soo Jin’s car.

Jsj: hey, are you okay? (gave her a brief but warm hug)

Psy: yeah, i’m fine. Can we go now?

Jsj: why are you in a hurry?

Psy: I don’t want to be here, not a minute longer. Please, Soo Jin-ah.

Jsj: okay.. okay.. where should we go?

Psy: let’s find some private restaurant or cafe, I’m starving.

Jsj: hmm.. let’s go to my friend’s restaurant, it’s located in Gangnam area.

Psy: that’s good.

 

Soo Jin stepped on the gas pedal and drove away from the apartment building.
Psy: Soo Jin-ah, thank you for coming here on such a short notice

Jsj: well.. you seemed rather anxious and I was near. Besides, it has been a while since we spend time talking to each other, I kinda miss you. You’re so busy! What with your current drama and your marriage.

Psy: (let out a deep sigh)

Jsj: hey, what is it?
Psy: let’s just talk about it later at the cafe, shall we?

Jsj: okay.. you have to tell me everything though, down to the last detail.


They arrived in the restaurant in less than 25 minutes. Having a friend who owns a restaurant does have its advantages, they were directly ushered to a private room.  
Jsj: so, wanna tell me what happened?

 

Eventhough they didn’t meet up as much as they wanted to, Soo Jin pretty much knew about Se Young and Woo Young. Se Young told her about the argument she had with Woo Young over Kim Semi’s short messages, and finally the incident that occured just less than an hour before.
Jsj: wow, that was insane. What’s wrong with that woman? Tsk!

Psy: I could only gather so much patience to deal with her.

Jsj: ugh! Thank God you didn’t cry.. you didn’t, right?

Psy: I did not.

Jsj: good! Did you tell woo young-ssi?

Psy: I haven’t, I reckon it would be best to tell him personally. I don’t want him to get emotional over the phone.

Jsj: you’re right. Take your time and tell him, slowly. And remember, you don’t have to be angry, it’s not his fault.
Psy: I know.

Jsj: oh, one more thing. Don’t go all nosy and asking him about his past, that will do you no good. If he’s willing to tell you about it, that’s another story. Some stories are better kept untold. I’m sure he knows what he’s doing.
Psy: I can’t agree more.

Jsj: you love who he is, not who he was. Let his past belongs to him only, and his present and future be yours. 
Psy: Soo Jin-ah, thank you. I think I made the right call when I decided to contact you earlier.

Jsj: you are one lucky girl.

Psy: I am. I’m lucky to have you and Eun Hye. By the way, how is she doing? I remember texting her but she didn’t reply. The nerve of that girl!

Jsj: you don’t remember?

Psy: what?

Jsj: she went overseas to promote her drama.

Psy: oh, that’s right (slapping her own forehead)

Jsj: your head is filled with Jang Woo Young, obviously!

Psy: no, it’s not!

Jsj:  yeah right! How are things between you guys?

Psy: now you’re being nosy..

Jsj: iiiissshh.. hurry, finish your food, it’s 9 pm already!

Psy: huh? Indeed, time flies so fast when you’re enjoying.

Jsj: I know, right? When will we meet up again?

Psy: we’ll make time

The two of them finished their meal and talked some more. It was mostly Se Young, updating Soo Jin on how things are going on between her and Woo Young.


 Se Young called Woo Young to check up on him. 

Jwy: hello..
Psy: woo young-ah.. where are you?
Jwy: I’m still with the boys. We only had snacks after the photo shoot, so we were starving. We decided to stop for a meal on our way back. 
Psy: what time are you gonna be home?
Jwy: we were just ordering, I’m going home as soon as we’re done with our meal. Where are you?

Psy: on the way home

Jwy: how was the barbecue party?

Psy: it was fun actually, but I didn’t stay long, I’m too exhausted from today’s filming.
Jwy: you should get some rest.

Psy: I’ll call you again once I reached home, okay? Don’t stay out too long, you should get some rest too.

Jwy: yes ma’am.
 

She didn’t tell him that she changed her mind about the barbecue party, because then she would have to explain the reason why she didn’t go. She thinks that it’s best to tell him in person about what happened, about her encounter with Kim Semi. As soon as she arrived, she was overwhelmed by exhaustion, she tied her hair back and decided to take a quick shower. Minutes later, she was standing in front of the wardrobe, pondering what to wear. She suddenly remembers Woo Young’s blue sweatshirt she was wearing the night before. She walked toward the bed and grabbed her bag. She took out the sweatshirt and stared at it affectionately. I must be crazy, it’s only a sweatshirt, a thought ran through her mind. She actually intended to give it back today. Might as well wear it again, she thinks to herself, it’s comfortable anyway.


Chansung drove Woo Young home at around 10.30 pm, right after their meal.

Jwy: you’re not coming over?

Chan: no, thanks. I have this weird feeling..

Jwy: what do you mean?

Chan: what if Se Young noona is there?

Jwy: you’re crazy! I told you, she went to a barbecue party with her friends and went home.

Chan: I was just joking. I feel pretty exhausted, I’m going home for my beauty sleep.

Jwy: hahaha.. suit yourself. Thanks for driving me Chansung-ah!

Chan: don’t mention it. I’m going.

Jwy: okay, take care! 

On his way up, Woo Young checked his phone. There’s no call from Se Young. Did she reach home and fell asleep right away? But she said that she’s going to call me when she arrived. He decided to call her but gave in after a few attempts, Se Young didn’t pick up. Maybe she’s asleep, it’s almost 11 pm, he thinks to himself. He stopped in front of his door to text her, just to notify that he’s already home. He walked right into his apartment and went straight to the fridge, grabbed a bottled water and took a big gulp. He decided to bring the bottle with him, so he didn’t have to go back in case he’s thirsty. He purposefully didn’t switch the lights on even though it was quite dark, he’s going to take a quick shower and hit the bed anyway.

 

He stepped out of the bathroom after 15 minutes, wearing his favorite sweatpants and sleveless shirt, ready for bed. He suddenly realizes that something seemed peculiar. It was dark and he took off his contact lenses just before he stepped into the shower, so he had to squinted his eyes only to found someone sleeping on his bed. He took a closer look and shuddered, the mysterious person was covered in blanket. With the minimal lighting, he could only see the hair, even though it was too dark to identify the color. He approached the bed in light steps because the mysterious person seemed to be sound asleep.

Psy: surprise!! (bolted awake)

Jwy: (jumped back a little) yaaah! You scared the hell out of me!!

Psy: that was purely intentional.

Jwy: what are you doing here? (casually sitting on the bed, right next to her)

Psy: I miss you!

Jwy: (lightly pushed her head) you lied! You said you were going home.

Psy: I did. Wait, why were you scared?

Jwy: what would you do if you come home and find someone sleeping on your bed?

Psy: who did you think it would be? Of course it’s me. Unless you have other girls who knows your key combination..

Jwy: of course I don’t! The only other females who knows are my mom and my sister. Hey, don’t change the subject, you lied to me!

Psy: I did not..

Jwy: yes you did. When you called me earlier you said you were on your way home.

Psy: I was..

Jwy: but how did you end up here? Did you suddenly make a detour?

Psy: well, not really..

Jwy: oh, I get it (looking smug)

Psy: what?

Jwy: you consider my place as your home, right? At this rate, we should just move in together.

Psy: you’re being silly. That’s not what I meant.

Jwy: oh come on, you're being too obvious (still looking smug).

Psy: when I say home, I didn’t refer to this place.

Jwy: okay, you lost me there.

Psy: when I say home, I mean you. You are my home. Because when I’m with you I feel save. I feel loved. Whenever we are apart, I feel like you’re the one I want to return to, the place where I belong.

Jwy: You are forgiven then.

Psy: Huh? For what?

Jwy: For lying to me and for sneaking in. Come here you!

 

Woo Young stretched out his arms and Se Young immediately threw herself in his embrace. They wrapped their arms around each other, holding tightly. Se Young rested her head on Woo Young’s broad chest. She inhaled deeply, relishing the scent of his aftershave. It’s amazing how she feels the most comfortable being wrapped around his arms, she just don’t want to let go. She momentarily put aside her worry of telling him what happened earlier at Woori’s building. This is one of those moments where the only thing she wants is to freeze time. Meanwhile, Woo Young rested her cheek on top of Se Young’s head, sniffing her hair affectionately. If only this is what I’m returning to every time I come home, a crazy thought flashed through his mind, but he immediately shook it off.   
Jwy: I miss you, park se young-ie..

Psy: I miss you too, jang woo young-ie..

Jwy: thank you for being here..

He suddenly realizes something and breaks off from the hug, clutching her shoulders with both hands.

Jwy: wait a minute.. what are you wearing?

Psy: oops..

Jwy: is this my sweatshirt?

Psy: yeah, it is..

Jwy: where did you get this? My wardrobe? (a shot of panic crossed his mind)

Psy: eung.. actually.. I wore this too last night when I sleep here. I was going to give it back to you today because I took it with me this morning.

Jwy: why?

Psy: I don’t know.. I just wanted to.. well, I guess I like having a piece of you with me when you’re away. oh, and because it's blue.

Jwy: (pinched her cheek) you’re too cute

Psy: besides, it’s comfortable, I like it. Can I have it?

Jwy: hmm.. that’s my favorite though.. (felt a bit relieved because she seemed to not notice)

Psy: I’ll give you something in return!

Jwy: really? How about..

 

He didn’t get the chance to finish his words, Se Young lurched forward and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

Psy: there you go, your payment.

Jwy: I’m sorry, miss park se young, but that sweatshirt worth more than that.

 

He pointed at his other cheek, she smiled and landed another kiss.

Psy: are you happy now? Now I can have this sweatshirt for real, right?

Jwy: sure. If you have any other things you might want, just tell me.
Psy: no doubt!

Jwy: I miss you se young-ah

Psy: you said that like two seconds ago

Jwy: I did? Would you be bored if I say it a hundred times?

Psy: no, I won’t.

Jwy: I’m sorry I made you cry, I should’ve called you earlier.

Psy: I second that!

Jwy: I miss you se young-ah..

Psy: okay.. okay.. I get it.

Jwy: I don't think you do..

 

He swooped in for a kiss, a short but soft one. He broke it off and look her in the eyes. He’s not looking for affirmation neither assurance, he only wanted to make sure that she knows how much he misses her.

Psy: oh yes, I do.

 

It’s her turn to swooped in, she wanted to let him know that she misses him as much as he does. The kiss was soft but deep, it’s not demanding but understanding. They took their time and savored the moment. The kiss was long overdue, the feel of yearning to be in each other’s arms were piling up when they were apart. They broke the kiss after a while, both were leaning on their sides with their arms supporting their head, facing each other.

Jwy: what time did you get here?

Psy: I didn’t really pay attention, maybe around 9.30..

Jwy: I called you on my way up but you didn’t answer.

Psy: I fell asleep for a short while, thank God you texted me, I woke up because of that.

Jwy: wow! I texted you right in front of my door, you were lucky.

Psy: yeah, my surprise would have been a total failure if you didn’t text. Woo young-ah..

Jwy: hmm..

Psy: I’m sorry for sneaking in and sleeping in your bed. I even let myself took a shower.

Jwy: hey, what are you saying?

Psy: I just don’t want to be presumed as.. presumptuous..

Jwy: se young-ah, listen to me. There’s nothing to be sorry about. When I gave you my key combination, I told you that you’re allowed to be here, anytime.

Psy: even when you’re not here?

Jwy: even when I’m not here.

Psy: this is the second time I let myself in without your permission, I don’t want to overstep a boundary..

Jwy: what boundary? I never set any. Se young-ah, are you okay? You’re acting kinda strange.. (touched her forehead with his palm)

Psy: (smiled and grabbed his hand) I don’t know, it’s just.. it doesn’t feel right..

Jwy: it doesn’t feel right yet you did it twice already

Psy: I know, I just can’t help myself..

Jwy: I don’t want to have this conversation ever again. Let me tell you one more time, when I gave you my key combination, I was giving you full access.

Psy: hmm.. talking about full access..

 

Se Young turned to her left and switched on the light on the nightstand, she then reached down to the floor beside the bed and picked up a light blue box with navy blue ribbon wrapped around it. Woo Young’s jaw dropped to the floor.

Jwy: you found it..

Psy: I found it

Jwy: but how?

Psy: I was looking for something to wear in your wardrobe when I spotted this

Jwy: I knew it, I had a weird feeling as soon as I realize you’re wearing my sweatshirt. Did you peek inside?

Psy: I did.

Jwy: aaarrrgghhh!! It was supposed to be a surprise gift for our 200th day.

Psy: it’s your fault, you’re bad at hiding things (poked his nose).

Jwy: this is the second time I fail at giving you a surprise, I’m losing my mojo.

Psy: maybe you are. Relax, you can try again at our 300th day (she winked at him). So, this is mine now..

Jwy: sure.. of course it’s yours.

 

Woo Young scratched his head, feeling a bit perplexed. Did she really peek inside? How can she be extremely cool about it?

Psy: hey, I saw a card.

 

Se Young opened the gift box and reached for the card. She read it out loud, making Woo Young squirmed uncomfortably in his place.

 

“Se Young-ah.. I didn’t mean to fall in love but you made it so easy, it was somewhere between all our laughs, long talks, stupid little fights and lame jokes. I’m looking forward to the day when I am waking up every morning, roll over on my side, and kiss you. Happy 200th day my princess.”

 

Psy: this is very sweet, I loved it. Thank you baby..

 

She reached for his hand and placed a little kiss on his palm.

Jwy: ah, don’t mention it (he touched his ear with his free hand and it felt warm)

 

He didn’t hear it wrong, did he? Se Young called him baby, for the first time ever. He never had any girl kiss his palm too, sending shivers down his spine. How can I not love you se young-ah? You are definitely my weakness. Woo Young is thinking to himself while staring at Se Young who is still busy admiring his writings on the card.

Jwy: if I knew you’d be like this, I’ll ignore your calls more often.

Psy: (pinched his waist)

Jwy: aaaakk.. I’m kidding! I’m kidding!

Psy: don’t push your luck, mister! when did you buy this? And how?

Jwy: I bought it before I went to Hongkong. Our 200th day is coming soon and I will be busy promoting the new album, I thought it would be better to buy the present before I forget.

Psy: you still haven’t answered the how..

Jwy: oh, I bought it online.

Psy: hmm.. (gave him a suspicious look)

Jwy: I did, I really did. Anyway, do you like it?

Psy: well.. I can’t really tell.. not before I try it on..  


Teaser for Chapter 22:

Unfortunately, there will be no teaser for Chapter 22. We're gonna left you hanging, just because we can.. *evil laugh*