I'll leave you no room for doubt

It can't be someone else, it has to be you.

*August 27th, 2014. Last filming of WGM*


They are done with the filming for today, the last episode of Woo Young and Se Young’s virtual marriage. Assistants and filming crew are busy packing up, some of them are having small talks while saying their thank yous to each other. In the middle of the filming set, Woo Young and his root manager can be seen talking to the Director along with several crew. Judging from the look on their faces, they’re talking over something serious. While in one corner of the cafe, Se Young is languidly sitting with a blank expression on her face. Yuan Seo, her asisstant, occupies herself by tidying up Se Young’s belongings, getting ready to head out.

Se Young threw her glance over to where Woo Young is standing, absorbing his whole image with her eyes. It might be a while until they can spend the whole day together out and about just like they did today, basically like what they have been experiencing since they joined the show. She has this strange feelings she can’t quite explain. Her brain’s processing the whole event occuring today simply as a completion of a project, but her heart’s processing it differently. Droplets of tears involuntarily escape her eyes. Being unaware of her surroundings, she didn’t even realize that Yuan Seo was watching her for quite some time now.   
Ys: se young-ah.. is something bothering you?

 

She didn’t get a reply. Se Young instantly turned her sad eyes toward the window, half embarassed half afraid for getting caught crying.

Ys: do you want us to head out now?

Still no reply. She suddenly stood up and turned around to lean on the window threshold, gazing absently out the window and wondered what the future will bring. She helplessly covered her face with both hands. Nobody realizes that she was crying, everybody were busy wrapping up. Yuan Seo stood in silence, mulling over her options. Earlier on, she heard in passing while some of the filming crew talked about the bittersweet ending. One of the female crew even went to the extent of saying that it was like being hypnotized, watching the two, how it was beyond her expectations. She whispered to Yuri.

Ys: yuri-ah, you stay here and make sure nobody comes close to Se Young, just give her something to drink. Oh, and grab some tissue while you’re at it. I’ll be right back in a minute.
Y: okay, eonni.

Yuan Seo went to approach Amy, Woo Young’s personal asisstant, who at that moment was standing not too far from Woo Young and his manager.
Ys: amy-ah..

Amy: oh, what’s up eonni?
Ys: can I talk to you for a second?

Amy: sure, what is it? It’s finally over, huh? I’m gonna be missing you a lot eonni.

Ys: yeah, me too. But that’s not what I want to talk about. Besides, we still got each other’s contact number. I need your help with something (suddenly talks in a low voice)

Amy: what is it?

Ys: (throwing her glances between Amy and Woo Young) what are they discussing?

Amy: (shrugged her shoulder) who knows? Maybe I’ll get an update later.

Ys: can I interrupt him for a moment?

Amy: is it urgent?

Ys: kind of.. it’s Se Young..

Amy: did something happen?

Ys: I need to talk to him first, I’ll give you the complete version later. Now, will you help?

Amy: sure. Wait a second.

Amy walked a few steps over to where Woo Young is standing and talked to him in whispers. Yuan Seo can feel his changed expression all too well because he immediately turned and looked at her direction. It didn’t take long for him to round off his conversation with the Director and walked toward her.
Jwy: noona.. what happened? Where’s seyoung-ie?

Ys: I’m sorry for interrupting your conversation with the Director, it looks important..

Jwy: it’s okay, we’re done talking. What is it? (shooting a concerned look)

Ys: seyoung-ie.. (raises her hand to point at the direction of the window at the corner, where Se Young is leaning with her back to everyone)

Jwy: (his gaze follows where Yuan Seo’s finger is pointing)

Ys: something is bothering Se Young, I think you should talk to her, the sooner the better. We need to..  

Woo Young didn’t even bother to wait until she’s done talking, he walked hastily toward Se Young, creating a little commotion on his way. People started to notice and stared at him curiously. He stood by her side and casually put his arm around her shoulder, completely detached from his surroundings. She was startled at the sudden touch, but she could tell without looking that it’s him.
Jwy: se young-ah, is something bothering you?

Psy: ......

Jwy: do you need me to get you anything?


She slowly put down her hands and uncovered her face. He can finally see the stream of tears she was hiding. He turns her to face him, wrapped his hands around her and held her tight, lovingly her hair.  She holds him back, not wanting to let go even for a second. She buried her face in his chest and he could feel her warm tears on his shirt. He tighten the hug and let her cry. The Director who was still in shock over their last scene stood still and stared in disbelief at the two. She was not the only one, there were crews and cameramen still hanging back at the location to finish with the wrapping up, witness to their virtual marriage for the last eight months.  
Jwy: se young-ah, why are you crying? Please tell me..

Psy: can you take me somewhere else? I don’t want to be here..

Jwy: okay, we’ll go, I can take you wherever you want, but please stop crying. 

It took her a moment to gain control of herself, the tears finally stopped. Yuri, who’s standing no too far from them, instinctively approached her and hand over a pack of tissue and a bottled water. She inaudibly thanked her, downing the water and used the tissue to dry her eyes. He held her hand and waved at his manager, signaling him to come close.

Jong: what is it?

Jwy: hyung, I’m going now, I’ll take my car.

Jong: are you sure it’s gonna be safe?

Jwy: damn it! I forgot we’re in Hongdae. What do you suggest I should do?

Jong: hmm.. it’s going to be a bit troublesome, but I think we can do it. How about this..

 

His manager laid out an exit plan for both of them. They can’t be seen leaving the cafe together, let alone entering one car, Woo Young’s car to be exact. The price of being an idol, where every step is carefully planned and every action is meticulously thought of. The exit plan requires Woo Young to leave the premises without Se Young, but only with his manager in the Company’s van. They’ll go and circle the block for several minutes before dropping Woo Young to his own car, safely parked in a more private location. Se Young will follow later on, with the exact same scenario. Woo Young was about to leave the cafe when Se Young’s manager approached them.

Hwan: se young-ah, are you okay?

Psy: (nods)

 

Woo Young carefully explained the exit plan to Hwan, he couldn’t be grateful enough because Hwan is more than willing to help them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Around 30 minutes later, Hwan dropped Se Young off in a private location where Woo Young’s car is parked. Woo Young is waiting restlessly inside the car, couldn’t wait to get away. He felt a shot of relieve when he finally see Se Young’s van on his rear-view mirror. She immediately got off from the van and rushed into Woo Young’s car. He opened the passenger window to speak to Hwan.

Jwy: hyung, I’m going to take her home.

Hwan: be careful you two, there are prying eyes everywhere. We can’t afford to have scandals right now, I’m sure you understand. Don’t worry se young-ah, just go home safely, okay? I’ll take care of everything.      
Jwy: I’m fully aware of that. We’re going now, thanks a lot hyung.

Psy: thank you oppa

 

Woo Young drove his car just below the maximum speed, eager to leave the Hongdae area.
Jwy: where should we go?

Psy: I just want to go home

Jwy: your house?

Psy: hmm..

Jwy: okay, then. To your house it is.
 

They spend the drive in utter silence. Woo young is focused with his driving, his goal is to bring her as quickly as possible to the comfort of her house. Meanwhile, she stared blankly into the night sky with her incoherent thoughts. He’s fully aware of her condition, he can see it clearly on her face, he decided to let her be. Twenty minutes later, they arrived at her front gate, he turned off the ignition.
Jwy: we’re here. Do you want me to take you inside?

Psy: yeobo-ya..


He was startled, hearing her calling him affectionately outside the show. For the past few months, they used to call each other that while filming. However, when they were alone, it’s back to “woo young-ah” and “se young-ah”. That was agreed upon at the beginning of their virtual marriage and carried on automatically when they decided to be together for real. Letting him called her by name was something meaningful, mostly because she’s older than him, although only by eight months. He just loved the way it sounds, woo young-ah, how trivial that might be. He didn’t even mind when she put his name as Jang Woo Young-ie on her phone, it was actually cute. 
Psy: it’s weird, isn’t it?

Jwy: what is?

Psy: me calling you that outside filming

Jwy: well.. I can get used to it

Psy: (put on an insincere smile)

Jwy: (leans back on his seat) are you okay now?

Psy: kinda

Jwy: I’m listening if you’re ready

Psy: ready for what?

Jwy: wanna shed some light on what was going on back there?

Psy: oh, that..

Jwy: you know how I hate seeing you cry, don’t you?

Psy: you do?

Jwy: I hope it wasn’t because of something I said. I was just following the mission card, to end our virtual marriage.

Psy: I understand, you don’t have to worry. It’s just.. when you said that you would hug me for the last time..

Jwy: on the show! I’d hug you for the last time on the show!

Psy: let me finish! It’s not about the hug or anything you said, I know full well that you need to say that for the show, to keep it interesting. What has been bothering my mind for the last few days is the fact that we can’t see each other as frequently now that the show has ended. Do you know how hard it was for me counting the days to our next filming? How excited I was to see that the circled date on my calendar which says “WGM filming” finally arrived? I know what I’m feeling for you is real, I don’t doubt your feelings for me either, but the prospect of not seeing you as freely is killing me!

 

This is very unlike her, pouring her heart out. She’s not the type that expresses herself that well, but she felt like a giant boulder has come off of her shoulders. People tend to see her as a blunt and strong woman when truth be told, she is extremely sensitive, she hides it very well though. Woo Young sat in silence while organizing his thoughts, this would be the worst time to say the wrong things.    

Jwy: Park Se Young, listen to me. I’m about to say things that I couldn’t possibly say on national tv. I’m not really good with words either, but I hope you can grasp the meaning anyway. I’m glad to know that you don’t doubt my feelings for you, because you shouldn’t. If it’s not for what I said all this time, at least you can feel it from the way I acted when I’m with you. Se Young-ah, I honestly didn’t plan that kiss. In all seriousness, I don’t think I would do that if I was thinking straight. I went the extra mile to prove something to you. Seeing those tears coming out of your eyes, I just can’t.. I’m stepping over a line, unconsciously spilling my heart out for people to see, people who are irrelevant to us.

 

She stared deep into his eyes, bravely this time, weighing every words he said. She knows that he’s being sincere, she can feel it.

Psy: the road ahead of us is rocky. Although we don’t live in an entirely different world, your status as an idol surely won’t give us as much as free space that we need for this relationship to grow. At least while we’re doing the show we can meet outside regularly, we can kiss that goodbye now that the show has ended. I know that keeping our relationship private is better for both of us, even if we have to be secretive and extra careful all the time. A huge part of me want to be strong enough to endure all that, but there’s this tiny part that’s still scared..

Jwy: scared of what exactly?

Psy: scared that we can’t withstand the test of time and distance. You’re going to be busy with 2PM world tour, I’m gonna be busy with drama filming and promotional activities for the upcoming movie. Even if you’re in Seoul in between your tour, there’s a big possibility that we won’t be able to see each other. It’s going to feel like we’re in a long distance relationship despite the fact that we live in the same city. It big time!  

Jwy: I know it is, but I have faith in us, don’t you?

Psy: I do

Jwy: I can’t promise you the world nor a fairy tale love story, I also can’t guarantee that we won’t be facing difficulties and obstacles along the way. I have my limitations. You should know that I tend to ignore people around me when I’m too focused with my music. I don’t mean to scare you but there will be times that I can’t run to you no matter how much I want to. It will be hard for sure, but I will be patient. I’m willing to endure all of it if it means I can include you in my future plans.

Psy: you’re thinking too far ahead

Jwy: that’s just the way I am, I do things for a reason. I thought about us a thousand times before finally making a decision. Once I set my mind on it, I will do almost anything to make it happen. I’m in it for the long haul.

This guy means business, Se Young thinks to herself, leaving no room for her doubt about them being together.

Jwy: Do you know the reason I said “thank you” earlier?

Psy: well.. not really. Thank you for the last eight months?

Jwy: (signaling with his fingers) number one, thanks for being you. Number two, thanks for being honest. Number three.. well, number three..

Psy: thanks for trusting your heart with me, Jang Woo Young-ie.

Jwy: (pouting) you’re cheating! That was supposed to be my line.

Psy: can I get a hug, please?

Jwy: now?

Psy: if you don’t mind..

 

His face lit up and he immediately pulled her in for a tight hug.      

Jwy: se young-ah, I’m going to say it again. This is not the first time I’m saying it, and I can assure you that it won’t be the last either. I hope you’re not tired of hearing it because if I can scream it to the world you know I would. I love you Park Se Young-ie. God, if I love you more than this I think I might die. 
Psy: I love you too, woo young-ah.


They stay in each other’s embrace for several minutes, savouring every moment.

Jwy: I’m glad we had the chance to go on a public date

Psy: me too, I loved it.

Jwy: you might not realize it but..

Psy: what?

Jwy: you know, when I said that I just want to hold your hand and go on a public date, to show you off to people?

Psy: yeah, I remember what you were saying..

Jwy: I never thought that doing a reality show would be this hard

Psy: I'm missing your point..

Jwy: those things I said? that’s my true feelings slipping out my mouth. Ugh, whatever! I don’t care, nobody would pay attention anyway, right?

Psy: thank you, woo young-ah.

Jwy: what for?

Psy: just.. everything. Thank you for everything.

Jwy: you don’t have to thank me, you silly. Oh, I have a scheduled practice tomorrow in preparation for the concert in Hongkong, I’m going to call you in between breaks. What are you doing tomorrow?

Psy: I have a scheduled filming. If I don’t pick up your calls just text, okay?

Jwy: will do. You should rest now, no more crying, okay?

Psy: no more crying. You should rest too, call me once you reach your apartment.  
Jwy: yes ma’am!

Se Young unbuckled her seatbelt and was about to reach for the door handle when Woo Young tapped her in the shoulder.

Jwy: aren’t you forgetting something? (touching his right cheek with his index finger)

Psy: (smiled) oh, sorry, where are my manners?!


She inches closer and planted a quick kiss on his lips instead, making him froze in his seat.

Psy: fyi, I always like lips better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------