I need you to believe in us

It can't be someone else, it has to be you.

Jwy: se young-ah, don’t you think you’re being too much? Getting upset over this and mad at me when I’m not even involved at all?

Psy: (remains silent)

Jwy: okay, let me send a message to this number if that what it takes to calm you down. 

He started to type in without taking the time to think, he knows what he wants to say.

“Whoever this is, please show some respect, you’re invading my privacy. JWYoung.”
 

He showed her the content of the message he sent, she remains unmoved. They spent five minutes in utter silence until his phone vibrated, an incoming call from the unknown number.
Jwy: great! This crazy person is calling.

He immediately picks up and turns on the speaker mode.

Jwy: who is this? (with an icy tone)

 

They can hear a girl’s voice replying hesitantly. Se Young closed her eyes, trying hard to suppress her anger.

The girl: hmmm.. oppa?

 

Her voice sounded familiar in Woo Young’s ears.

Jwy: do I know you?

 

There was no reply, but the connection was still on.

Jwy: who is this? I don’t have time for fooling around. What do you want?

The girl: oppa, it’s me. Semi.

 

He froze. It has been so long since they talked, he didn’t even save Semi’s number anymore. He slowly recognizes her voice, it’s definitely her. He was grateful that Se Young wasn’t looking at him, hence not noticing his changed expression.

Jwy: Did you really send those messages?

Kim Semi: oppa, let me explain...

Jwy: okay. I’m listening.

KS: it was just a misunderstanding, I didn’t send those.

Jwy: but it was from your number, I don’t understand..

KS: it was my friends, they were just pulling one of their pranks..

Jwy: you’re kidding me, right? That was not funny at all.

KS: it was supposed to be a joke, please don’t be mad.

Jwy: a joke you say? Do you know what trouble your friends have caused? (his anger starts welling up)

KS: It really was a joke, I’m sorry.

Jwy: I’m not buying your story.

KS: Why are you being so rude? I said I was sorry.   

Jwy: do you really think I’m going to believe you just like that? I wasn’t born yesterday, you know..

KS: oppa.. we’ll be in Hongkong in a couple of days, I don’t want any trouble, okay?

Jwy: what do you mean?

KS: I don’t want more rumours floating around, my only wish is for us to held the concert successfully.
Jwy: I don’t get it. I don’t see the connection between our concert and the messages your so-called friends sent earlier.

KS: oh my God this is so frustrating! Can we meet personally? I think I can explain it better when I see you face to face.
 

Se Young opened her eyes, glaring at Woo Young.

Jwy: I don’t have time, just talk on the phone.

KS: oppa, you’ve changed a lot.. since you joined that show.

Jwy: Oh please! What does it have to do with anything?

KS: can you hear yourself right now? The way you talk to me? Is that woman the only one you can think of right now?

Jwy: please have some respect, that woman you addressed carelessly is really important to me.

KS: see.. back in the old days, you wouldn’t talk to me this way. 
Jwy: Semi-ssi, I really don’t have time to reminisce. I’m sorry if I offend you in any way, but you don’t have any right.

KS: Semi-ssi? (she snorted and laugh)

Jwy: I’ll just consider this never happen, your messages and this talk we’re having. That much I can do as a friend. Although a friend certainly wouldn’t do this.
KS: you’ve really changed, huh? You just don’t care anymore, to your friends who stood by your side all this time, your fans, and me.

Jwy: you?

KS: yeah, me.

Woo Young’s mind went blank for several seconds, he’s starting to recall the reason why he and Semi grew apart for the last couple of years. He always consider her a good friend, a younger sister sometimes, because he doesn’t have one. At some point, he can sense that she started to have certain feelings for him. It was just not the right time for him to be involved with someone, particularly someone in the company, so he took a step back. She probably realized what was happening, but she never confronted him. It was inevitable to meet each other because they still work together and sometimes went out with the same group of friends, but he managed to kept it professional. He doesn’t want to appear as an ungrateful person, Semi was a good friend after all, but Se Young is listening to the phone conversation and he doesn’t want to stir any suspicion from her part. Their relationship is new, they’re slowly getting to know each other outside the program. He never feels the necessity of telling Se Young about Semi, nothing ever happened anyway. Now, this thing happened, he better handle it wisely, or else..   
Jwy: Semi-ssi, I really appreciate your concern, but what I do with my life is nobody’s business but me.

KS: I know you from way back, before you’re 2PM’s Jang Woo Young. I was always there for you, don’t you remember that? I care about you, oppa..
Jwy: okay, this is getting nowhere. Listen, I’m just a human being, I have feelings too. I want to express it freely eventhough it’s not possible with me being an idol. You said it yourself, you care about me. Do you honestly think that a person would do what you just did to a person she cared about? Whoever send those messages, whether it was you or your friends, it makes me sick. I don’t need people interfering with my life, I myself is responsible for the choiches I made.

They can hear soft sobs and snivels at the other end of the line, from the corner of his eyes, Woo Young can see Se Young is reaching for her bag. He grabbed her hand tightly to stop her. 
KS: oppa..

Jwy: I’m sorry but this has to end.

 

He hangs up and sighs heavily.  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psy: you’re hurting me

 

He didn’t even realize that he held her hand so tight, he loosen the grip but did not let go.

Jwy: I’m sorry se young-ah, I didn’t mean to.. I think I owe you an explanation..

 

As much as he didn’t want to talk about Kim Semi, he can’t avoid it anymore. The damage has been done, Se Young read those messages. Worse still, she heard Semi poured her heart out on the phone just now. It leaves him with no choice but to tell her about the nature of his relationship with Semi. He held nothing back, she needs to know the whole story.

 

She listened intently without interrupting while he narrated, upset yet curious about the whole situation with this Semi character. He never mentioned Semi even once, but come to think of it, she’s the one who didn’t want to know about his past relationships. Little did she know that the past sometimes can come and haunt the future.

 

Psy: that’s all?

Jwy: that’s all

Psy: huh..

Jwy: I told you everything you need to know about Semi

Psy: everything I need to know. That’s it?

Jwy: that’s it

Psy: so, she's an old friend of yours and she works as a dancer in JYPE. 

Jwy: yeah, I even helped her to join the company. She's more like a younger sister to me.

Psy: assuming you’re telling the truth..

Jwy: yaaa!! What do you mean by assuming? I am telling you the truth

Psy: let me finish. What I was trying to say is, if you’re telling the truth, then what? She still have feelings for you? Until now?

Jwy: you heard her on the phone, she said she cares about me, I’m sure in a friendly way.

Psy: hmm.. I don’t think so. She ended her text message with “Oppa, I love you.”, don’t you ever forget that.

Jwy: well.. I can’t take responsibility for her feelings, can I?

Psy: yeah, I guess you’re right. (something doesn’t sit right with her, but she decided to put it at the back of her mind, at least for now)

 

He rubbed her hand with his thumb, as if to tell her that everything’s going to be okay, there is nothing to worry about. He was fully aware of what he was doing. Yes, he probably hurt someone with his choice, but you can’t please everybody. He was grateful to be given the opportunity to meet her and to know her better. He deserves to be happy and he’s willing to do almost anything to keep it that way. Out of the blue..

Jwy: come with me to Hongkong

Psy: I don’t think that would be a good idea

Jwy: why? Because Semi is going too?

Psy: don’t you think it would be super awkward?

Jwy: just pretend like nothing happened

Psy: I can’t do that

Jwy: se young-ah, we can’t always look out for other people’s feelings, we don’t have control over that. If we’re always trying to please everybody around us, what would that make us? How about our own happiness?

Psy: aren’t we happy when people around us are happy?

Jwy: it’s reasonable to want that, but you must know that it’s also tiring, especially when the “around” you meant takes the form of a huge circle of people. And for your information, Kim Semi is not in my circle. I hope I’m in your circle though.. 

Psy: of course you are, don’t you dare question that.

Jwy: the life we are living, me as an idol and you as an actress is not easy, we both know that. They put our lives under constant scrutiny, putting us on a pedestal. Being a role model for our fans is inevitable, it’s an honor as much as it is a burden. However, I always consider myself blessed, to be able to channel my passion into my work. I’m grateful, money aside, we’re also achieving our self-actualization.

She is hooked, again. The one thing that she truly love about him is his capability in engaging her in deep talks. He can be playful and full of aegyo, but most of the time he is this serious man with his deep thoughts. Up till now, he never fail to amuse her. When she decided to come to his side, she knows what she’s going to face. She thought it wouldn’t be a huge difference with what she’s facing as an actress. But indeed, idols are different. She got the taste of it from the incidents transpired today. She’s not giving up, no she won’t. She just felt tired all of a sudden.   
Psy: being in your circle means I’m putting my life under a huge microscope

Jwy: it’s inevitable, since you’re a part of me now.
Psy: I know that, but it scares me sometimes..
Jwy: you can hold on to me

Psy: don’t get me wrong, it’s not your fans that I’m scared of. Although it makes me wonder, aren’t you afraid of losing your fans?

Jwy: not losing you is what matters now

 

It’s such a relieve to hear those words from him, eventhough she knew it’s just his way of comforting her. She knows how important his fans are. In their line of work, they would be nobody if not for their fans. 

Psy: I’m afraid that I’ll end up being a burden

Jwy: you won’t. Trust me.

Psy: you sounded so sure

Jwy: I am. Do you love me?

Psy: I do

Jwy: but not as much as I do

Psy: no. I love you more, that’s why I’m scared.

Jwy: we both might get hurt. It’s enough for me as long as we have each other’s back.

Psy: I don’t know woo young-ah, I guess I need time to think this through. 

He lets out a heavy sigh. He can see the bitterness in her eyes. He’s at a loss for words to convince her that everything’s gonna be okay. He’s confident with his feelings, this is what he wants, she’s the one that he wants. Is she second-guessing? He hope not.

Jwy: you look tired.. (rubbing her cheek with the back of his hand)

Psy: I’m okay

Jwy: let me get you something to drink

He steps out of the room and heads towards the kitchen, downing a glass of cold water. He turns on the faucet on the sink and splash some water on his face. His mind is in dissaray at the thought of her words, “I guess I need time to think this through”. What does she mean by that? He suddenly felt stuffy. His gaze fell upon the fruit platter sitting on the coffee table, he decided to put it in the fridge and made a glass of hot chocolate for her.

 

Back in the room, he found her lying on her side with both arms supporting one side of her face, she smiled at him.

Jwy: I made you some hot chocolate (walked towards the bed and sat next to her)
Psy: I hope you don’t mind, I feel kinda sleepy.

Jwy: you don’t have to ask for my permission to use this bed. Drink this, will you? Be careful, it’s still hot.

Psy: (sits upright and sips the hot chocolate, he held the glass for her) aaahh! It’s hot!

Jwy: I told you it’s hot. More?

Psy: I’ll have it later when it cools down a bit. Thank you, woo young-ah. 

 

He put the glass on the nightstand while she resumed her position. He imitated her pose and lay on the bed facing her. 

Jwy: you can sleep if you want, this has been an emotionally draining day. (reached over to her hair)
Psy: hmm.. (slowly closing her eyes) 

 

She felt relieved and tired at the same time, life is being funny today. Being faced with almost all of her worries from dating an idol in one day is exceptional; the fans, the constant scrutiny, the secret admirer. She wanted to say, “bring it on, God!”, but that would sound arrogant. She fell asleep almost instantly, with him still her hair.
 

He can sense that she’s already falling asleep, judging from her regular breathing. He pulled her close and slipped his left hand right under her neck, slowly positioned her head on his left chest. He held her close, feeling the warmth of her body on his. He froze when she stir, only to see her left hand lifted and rested on his body to hug him. He automatically smiled and whispered..

Jwy: I love you, park se young-ie.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------