I have my insecurities

It can't be someone else, it has to be you.

Woo Young continued to her hair while lovingly stared at Se Young’s sleeping face, comfortably tucked in his embrace. His mind drifts away to their first encounter at the filming location of We Got Married, how extremely awkward it was. He felt like banging his head to the wall when he watch himself on that first episode. He remembers how he lived through the months after, waiting anxiously for the next filming schedule. Did a lot of typing and deleting before sending her a simple text message, feeling excited waiting for her reply and smiling like a fool even over the most trivial things she wrote in her text.

 

He smiled to himself while remembering the sleepless nights he spent searching her on the net, downloading videos and pictures of her on his laptop. He rushed to finish his work at the studio just to make enough time to catch up on her drama. Love makes you do silly things indeed. The rest is history, he fell for her, hard. Deciding to have her in his life was not easy, it has been a constant battle between his personal and idol life. He hated how his career complicate things sometimes, although it opened many doors for him too. It’s like what she said, having a girl by his side means putting her under one huge, if not gigantic, microscope. Many questions sprung in his mind, is she worth it? Do I have the capability of protecting her? Can we survive the constant hiding and secrets? And if they decided to go public, can they survive the constant public scrutiny? the constant judgments? In the end, two things helped him decide; the choices we make in life determine to a large extent our happiness or our unhappiness and the right person probably won’t come twice.       

His thougts were interrupted by a sudden vibration coming from the direction of the nightstand, the one on her side. It must be her phone, he can’t reach it without the risk of waking her up. He wanted to turn it off, but the caller seems persistent, it kept on vibrating for another full minute. He threw his glance over the digital clock on the nighstand, it’s 8 o’clock already. Time surely flies fast when you’re enjoying yourself. He placed a kiss on her forehead, hoping that it would wake her up. She frowned and blink her eyes for a few times before being fully awake.

Jwy: are you awake?
Psy: what time is it now? (yawning)

Jwy: it’s 8 o’clock

Psy: (stares in disbelief) already? How long was I asleep?

Jwy: (shrugged his shoulder) around 2 to 3 hours perhaps?

Psy: wow, I must be really tired. (rose up to sit and stretched her body a little) wait, if I was asleep for 2 to 3 hours, what were you doing?

Jwy: nothing. Just did some thinking. It must have been really comfortable using my chest as your pillow, huh?

Psy: well, that’s weird, I don’t recall sleeping on your chest.. wait, you didn’t do anything funny while I was sleeping, did you?

Jwy: (push her head jokingly) if I’m gonna do anything, it wouldn’t be something funny and I would want you to be fully awake while I’m doing it.

Psy: (eyes widened and smiles sheepishly)

Jwy: by the way, your phone vibrated for a full minute just now, someone was really persistent, I wonder who it is?
Psy: probably my mom or Seo eonni, let me check. (reached over to the nightstand to grab her phone).

Jwy: who is it?

Psy: hmm.. 3 calls from Hwan oppa, 2 calls from Seo eonni, and 2 calls from my mom. I haven’t gone that long though, I wonder..

Jwy: just call your mom first

Psy: I think I should..

Hello? Mom, I’m sorry for not answering, I was busy with something. What is it?

Jwy: (trying hard to suppress his laugh over her excuse for not answering her mom’s calls)

SY’s Mom (Mom): se young-ah, are you okay?

Psy: I’m fine, why are you asking? (pinches his arm)

Jwy: aaaakkkk!!

Mom: I’m just worried, is that woo young?
Psy: (glares at him) yes, I’m with him right now. What is it? You’re making me nervous mom..

Mom: try calling your manager, I’m not so sure either. Be home soon if you can, you still have filming schedule for tomorrow, don’t you?
Psy: okay, I’ll try calling Hwan oppa. I’ll hang up now, see you at home.

Jwy: what is it?
Psy: I don’t know yet, she told me to call Hwan oppa. Wait a second..

Hello? Oppa.. why were you calling me?

Hwan: se young-ah, where were you? I’ve been calling you at least three times.

Psy: I’m sorry, I was sleeping. What is it? I tried to ask my mom but she told me to call you instead.

Hwan: you’re schedule on 29th and 30th of August cannot be canceled. I’ve spoke to the Director but he said he can’t give you permission. Your next filming schedule is with Lee Sang Woo-ssi, it would be difficult to arrange another schedule with him if you cancel this one.
Psy: can’t you do something, oppa?

Hwan: I’m sorry se young-ah, my hands are tied. I even tried to speak with Lee Sang Woo-ssi’s manager, and he wasn’t the most understanding person I’ve met. He said it was difficult for him too since you’re asking permission for personal reasons.

Psy: okay, thank you oppa. I’ll call you again later.

Hwan: I’ll text your schedule for tomorrow, okay? Don’t stay out late, you need to get some rest, I’ll pick you up at 5 am tomorrow morning.

She hangs up feeling disappointed. She hides it well though, she don’t want him to start asking questions. Not now.

Jwy: what is it?

Psy: I have to go home now

Jwy: why? Something happened?

Psy: no, but we have filming schedule tomorrow, don’t you remember?

Jwy: I do. You can sleep here and we can go together to the filming location.

Psy: are you drunk?

Jwy: i’m just kidding. What were you talking about on the phone with your manager?

Psy: just the usual, filming schedule and stuff. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Jwy: really? You sounded serious.

Psy: it’s nothing really, I always sounded serious when I talk about work.

Jwy: is there something you’re not telling me?

Psy: woo young-ah, you’re being suspicious over nothing. I really have to go home now.

 

She scrambled out of bed and walked towards his wardrobe, opening it without the slightest hesitation.

Jwy: omo, you’re opening my wardrobe like it was nothing. Who are you? My wife?

Psy: we got married already (occupied herself by browsing through his stack of clothes)

Jwy: (stealthily got out of bed and walked towards her, wrapped his hands around her waist and hug her from behind, resting his chin on her shoulder)

Psy: (trying hard to ignore him) hmm.. what should I wear? I’m gonna need something with a hoodie..

Jwy: grab that red one

Psy: red? Don’t you think it would be too flashy?

Jwy: it would look good on you though

Psy: that’s not the point (pulled out the red sweatshirt anyway)

Jwy: grab me the white one please

Psy: this one? Okay.

 

He grabbed her shoulders and turns her to face him, looking her straight in the eyes.

Jwy: I want you to know that you can share anything with me. Now, tell me what you were talking with your manager on the phone. Is it related to what happened this morning at the company? Those pictures you found online and the nasty comments?

Psy: I told you already, no.

Jwy: I will handle it, you don’t have to worry.

Psy: I don’t know why you’re being so stubborn about this. How many times do I have to tell you, we talked about work.

 

She prefers not to hide things from him, she only have to find a more suitable time to do some explaining. She wouldn’t want to ruin his mood, they have filming schedule for tomorrow. She sneakily put her arms around his waist, resting her head on his chest. In truth, she’s doing this to avoid eye contact.

Psy: woo young-ah..

Jwy: hmm..

Psy: give me just five minutes, okay?

Jwy: what for?

Psy: let’s stay like this for another five minutes..

Jwy: (wrapped his arms around her shoulders and hugged her tight) I know what you’re up to, but I’m going to let it slide this time.    

Psy: my man is really the best

Jwy: don’t overdo it park se young-ie (they both laugh at his remarks) 
 
She finally wriggled free after he started to her back with an up and down movement, sending shivers all over her body. She shoved the red sweatshirt to him and casually asked him to put it on for her. He happily obliged. He asked her to do the same thing in return. She walked towards the shelf placed next to the nightstand, picking up his perfume and sprayed it on her wrist.

Jwy: why are you wearing my perfume?

Psy: I like the smell

Jwy: really? Is it that good?

Psy: I don’t hate it. Plus, I can sleep tight tonight while sniffing on my wrist.

Jwy: I told you not to overdo it, didn’t I?

 

She laugh it off and walked towards the sofa to grab her bag and shoes while he’s busy picking out which hat to wear.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*in Woo Young’s car, en route to Se Young's house*
 

Jwy: do you keep track of the number of episodes we have done so far? I don’t really remember but I think our contract is ending soon.

 

Talking about the end of their time in WGM makes her feel nervous all of a sudden. She knows it’s coming, but her mind always make ways not to think about it, she has been putting it off unintentionally. She can’t bring herself to think of them not being together, albeit only for the show. She doesn’t realize either, that at some point she can’t imagine her life without him in it. It scares her sometimes, how she unconsciously started to rely on him more.

 

Her mind went back to the first time she received the mission card. Along with it, there are clues on her future virtual husband, animal farm and walnut. She couldn’t help but being curious, but the clues were not helping at all. She remembers feeling relieved, right from the moment she poked her head to see the strike of blond hair. He was not a complete stranger, although she didn’t know him personally. They came off with an awkward start, mostly due to his nervousness. Hell, she was nervous too, how could she not? Jang Woo Young, the member of 2PM is sitting in front of her, looking dapper with his suit. She can’t remember exactly when, but she started to have an emotional attachment with her phone, checking it every now and then between filming break. She let the phone rang at least three times whenever he called, usually at night, trying hard not to sound too eager when she finally answered. The rest is history, she fell head over heels for him. Truth be told, she’s not the type of person who easily opens up her heart to others, but once she does, she will give her undying affection and love. Before she made up her mind to go to his side, she thought about all the consequences. Career-wise, it will be better to keep their relationship private. It has only been three years since she got back to the entertainment industry after finishing her school, dating scandal is surely one thing she should avoid. Keeping secrets from people around them, especially fans, will be hard on their relationship, but it will be better than being under constant public scrutiny and constant judgment.             
Psy: the end of August is near, isnt’ it?

Jwy: it is

Psy: hmm.. it’s just that there’s no clue whatsoever from the Director

Jwy: what clue?

Psy: about our last filming

Jwy: I don’t really care. It’s the end of the show, not the end of us.

Psy: (sighing heavily) I do care, though..

Jwy: why? It won’t make any difference.

Psy: it will

Jwy: (startled by her answer) I don’t see how.

Psy: listen to me. As far as the public know, we are an on-screen married couple. To me, it's almost like a cover.

Jwy: I totally get that. What are you trying to imply?

Psy: don’t be naive. When the show’s over, everything will change.

Jwy: nothing will change, we’ll stay exactly like we are now. You’re not bailing out on me, aren’t you?

Psy: (stares at him in disbelief) I don’t know why you even think that. It’s just.. it’s gonna be almost impossible for us to meet each other.

Jwy: the only problem I’m thinking is how to make this, us, stay in private.

Psy: that too, and you’ll be busy with 2PM comeback.

Jwy: I bet you’ll be busy too, you have a movie coming out in November, right?

Psy: I genuinely hope we can survive

Jwy: se young-ah, don’t you believe in me?

Psy: I do
Jwy: what seems to be the problem then?

Psy: when it ends without us knowing.. I don’t know, I’m just not sure..

Jwy: about what?

Psy: I can't put it in words, yet.

Jwy: are you afraid?

Psy: maybe, a little.

Jwy: (reached for her hand and was about to say something but decided to held back)

Psy: I'm just curious of what's to come after we're finished with the show.

Jwy: I still don't get it

Psy: you do know that once the show is over, we can no longer enjoy the privilege of seen in public together without arising suspicion. Even this necklace you gave me, I don’t think I can wear it anymore without thinking that somebody might realize that I’m still wearing the necklace given by my fake husband.  

 

She finally let it out, her insecurities about their relationship. He is beyond startled, it never occured to him even once that she's having these kind of thoughts.
Jwy: well.. we still have time to prepare ourselves..

 

Se Young looked down on their intertwined fingers, she doesn't know where this feeling is coming from. She thought about it several times, but she managed to brush it off by telling herself that they still have time. Do they really? A part of her, although little, still thinks that maybe, just maybe, this thing going on between them is only a temporary feeling that grows because they were put on a show as a married couple. When the show ends, everything becomes real. Not that they were faking it, at least not for the last several months.

Jwy: trust me, we can go through this together. I might not always be there when you need me, but even when I’m away on tour we can talk everyday on the phone.

Psy: who ever said about me needing you?

Jwy: are you being serious now?

Psy: need you? No. Want you? Always.

 

This girl never fails to amaze him. She’s like a boxer throwing jabs and hooks, hitting at the right spot all the time, making him speechless and unable to provide a proper response other than a blank face. They spend the next 15 minutes in silence, Se Young is floating off with her own thoughts, drowning in her own insecurities. He spend the rest of the drive with one hand holding hers, in an attempt to give her some kind of assurance. They finally arrive at her house, he cut the ignition and immediately turns to her.

Jwy: okay, we’re here. I’ll be stopping by the dorm shortly, I’ll call you after I get back. Hmm.. do I need to see you inside?

Psy: i’m fine, it’s already late anyway. Don’t stay out too long and be safe, okay?

Jwy: see you tomorrow at the filming location

Psy: my manager will come and pick me up at 5 am tomorrow

Jwy: I can pick you up if you want (he said this jokingly)

Psy: and reveal our relationship to everyone? (not in the mood for a joke)

Jwy: you don’t want to?

Psy: it’s not the right time

Jwy: you don’t believe in me, do you?
Psy: can we have this discussion some other time? I’m tired.

 

She reached her hand to unbuckle her seatbelt but he beat her to it. She said thanks, opened the door and stepped out of the car, leaving him staring at her back until it disappeared behind the front gate.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------