Tale of Two's Heart-2

Kryber Stories
 

As king Liu was in a meeting with king and queen Jung to go over the kingdoms’ economical standings and political marriage, the servants accompanied 5 years old princess Krystal as she toured the palace. The twins were having their lessons and were not yet told of the Jungs arrival.

 

Donghae stifled his laughter when he saw Amber slowly leaned forward, her head slipped off her hand, waking her up in the process. She tried blinking the drowsiness away and refocusing back on her book but it was just too boring for her. She was not one to be locked away in a room when there was such a vast and beautiful world outside these palace walls. They offer so much more to her than these old dusty books ever could.

 

“’scuse me!” Amber’s hand shot up, cutting their teachers monologue.

 

“Yes, what can I do for you, prince Donghae?”

 

Amber and Donghae ignored the teacher’s mistake, pretty much used to it already. They never bothered correcting anyone so far so why start now? “Bathroom,” she didn’t wait for his reply and left in a hurry.

 

Donghae chuckled softly, knowing perfectly well that Amber wasn’t coming back before refocusing back on the book and lesson at hand.

 

As Amber strolled through the hallways of the palace feeling freer than ever, she was happily whistling a tune she made up, enjoying the sun that kissed her skin and the soft breeze that caressed her face. She tapped her chin as she tried to think up of something to do by herself. Having an idea she started running down the hall, couldn’t help but have a megawatt grin on her face.

 

Krystal was bored. She was lonely, she was tired, and she had hoped that being away in a faraway kingdom where no one knows her, she’ll be able to make at least a friend. However, luck was not on her side. She’s been walking around the palace for a long, long time and she hadn’t spotted a single child. She didn’t know what was worse, being home with lots of kids where you know they don’t want to play with you or being here where you know no one will play with you because there were none to begin with. The little girl let out a sigh, giving up on her search for a friend.

 

“What’s wrong, princess?” one of the servants asked her in worry, not for the princess but for the fact that they might get punish for upsetting a royal princess.

 

She didn’t answer. She knows full well that the reason why the servants back at home, the kids back at home, the people back at home, even these servants here, kept their distance from her was because she always came across as unfriendly, uncaring, emotionless. Her strong voice surely doesn’t help, much less her sharp, cold eyes. Ignoring the servants following her, she spun back around and made her way back the way that she came.

 

Amber took off her red prince jacket and black pants, folding them into a neat pile and leaving them on the shore. This left her only in her loose white undershirt and white trouser. She rolled the trouser up until her shin before stepping into the palace’s pond. Listening intently and keenly watching for movement, she waddled through the shallow parts of the pound, hoping to catch some frogs so she could use them later the day for a prank.

 

“Gotcha!” She beamed a smile as she finally caught her first frog. Holding the green frog in both hands, worried that it might slip away with only one, she waddled back to shore. Now the question was: where is she going to put it? Amber glanced around like a lost kid before biting her lips and dashing away to get a container to put it in.

 

She grinned as she ran through the palace, excitement buzzing through her entire body. As she rounded the corner she suddenly hit a wall that she knew was never there before. This caused her to fall back, her hold on the frog loosened allowing the frog to slip out. “Ooomph!” she landed harshly, air getting knocked out of her. Amber grabbed onto her aching head as she shook it, getting rid of the stars that she was beginning to see.

 

Krystal suddenly felt a strong impact as she turned the corner. She was caught off guard and fell on her . “Ah!” she squealed when the air was knocked out of her. Feeling something wet and slimy on the crook of her neck, she tried to glance at it. However, having caught sight of something green from the corner of her eyes she panicked and tried to wipe it off, making whatever it was fall on her beautiful white dress. She steadied her thumping heart but when she fully caught sight of the green thing, a frog, she let out a high pitch screech.

 

“Princess!” the servants hurried to help Krystal up, having not yet made the connection with Amber due to how she was dressed.

 

Amber groaned in pain before her eyes shot open after hearing a loud screech coming from in front of her. Seeing her green frog jumping away, trying to make an escape, she crawled on all fours after it. “Haha! I gotchu!” she shouted and held it above her head like a trophy, smiling widely. She turned her attention back to the group though as she heard sniffles and sobbing. “Errr…”

 

“Prince Donghae??” the servants looked Amber up and down before hurrying to help the prince up. “Are you okay? Are you injured anywhere?”

 

“I’m fine,” she then motioned with her head to the sobbing girl, “who is that?” she would have pointed but with the frog in her hand she couldn’t.

 

“Princess Krystal. She is a visitor and will be staying in the palace till tomorrow, young prince.”

 

Amber tilted her head in confusion before remembering the king’s words last night at the dining table. She must be the important guest daddy was talking about.

 

The servants made way for the young prince, letting him through, and standing at a distance.

 

“Hey…don’t cry,” Amber cooed softly. “It’s okay, you’ll see. I miss my daddy too but I get to see him at night,” she said, trying to comfort the sobbing girl, not knowing that the reason Krystal was crying was because of the frog, not because she missed her parents. “Do you want to play with me?”

 

Krystal stopped her sobbing, or at least tried to stop her sobbing when she heard something she had never heard before, “do you want to play with me”. Wiping away the tears with the back of her hand, she looked up to see a messy looking boy. His hair was in disarray, his shirt and pants had mucky greenish brown stains.

 

Not sure if the girl heard her, Amber asked once again, “so…do you want to play?”

 

Did she hear it right? Someone actually asked her to play with them? She must be dreaming? This has never happened before. Krystal was deep in thoughts, debating if she was just hearing things or not.

 

Seeing the girl out of it, Amber shrugged and grabbed a hold of the girl’s hand and tugged her after her. She had transferred the frog to her other hand, holding it tighter than before so it wouldn’t escape. Hearing the servants making to follow after the them, Amber whirled back and commanded, “Don’t follow.”

 

The servants looked at one another, sending signals asking if they should do as they’re told or follow after, but in the end they relented and let the two kids go.

 

“W-where are we g-going?” Krystal muttered quietly, hoping that if she spoke quietly her strong voice wouldn’t come across, scaring off the boy. However, she spoke too quietly. Her voice was carried off by the wind, making the other not hear it. Trying again, a little bit louder this time, she asked, “Where are we going?”

 

Amber glanced back and flashed a megawatt smile. “You’ll see.”

 

Krystal stopped talking and just allowed herself to be pulled along. Everything that she’s experiencing at the moment was new to her. She had never held hands with anyone other than her parents and she had never been asked if she wanted to play with anyone. This made her heart pick up its pace, excitement getting to her.

 

Amber made her way back to the pond and grinned before letting go of the girl’s hand. “Tadah! We’re here.” She opened her arms to show that they were there before jumping into the pound and kicking the water up causing her to chuckle when it splashed onto her face. “Come on!” she whirled back and ushered.

 

Krystal watched the boy play in the pond while fidgeting in her spot. Should she enter? Should she not? But this was the first time someone had asked her to play with them. What if her parents get angry at her for dirtying her dress though?

 

“It’ll be okay. Come in, it’s fun!”

 

Shrugging off the consequences she took off her shoes and socks before dipping her feet in, testing the temperature. She let out a squeal though when the boy took her hand and suddenly pulled her in.

 

“Hahahahaha” Amber threw her head back and laughed at Krystal’s facial expression.

 

Krystal shot a glare at him before a smirk played on her lips. She cupped up some water and splashed it right in his face, his laughter died immediately. “Hahahaha” It was now her turn to laugh at his facial expression.

 

Smirking, knowing that the girl was out of her bubble, Amber let the frog go and used both hands to splash the water. In the end, the two had a water fight causing both to be drenched in water.

 

Exhausted and tired from their play the two sat on the grass, letting the sun dry them. Goosebumps crawled on their skins though as a cool breeze swept through the area, ruffling their messy wet hair. Amber suddenly laid her back on the grass and watched the clouds roll on by, feeling content, before closing her eyes with a smile on her face. This was way better than being in a stuffy, old, boring room.

 

Krystal watched the smiling older boy before following him and laying her back down too. Today was the best day ever. She finally played with someone and she had lots of fun.

 

“Prince Amber!” a shout was heard in the distance.

 

Amber and Krystal snapped their eyes open and got up before glancing back towards the voice.

 

“Finally, I found you. You still need to attend your lessons.”

 

She let out a groan. She had been hoping that she’ll be able to skip all of her lessons today and just play with Krystal. “Okay, okay. I’m coming,” she let out a sigh before standing up and picking up her folded clothes.

 

Krystal lowered her head, a little sad that he was leaving already. She had wanted to continue to play. This day had been the most fun day she’s ever had and she didn’t want it to end so soon.

 

“Krys, I’ve got to go. I’ll play with you later, okay? Bye!” Amber smiled and waved to her before running off to get to her lesson.

 

The younger girl watched the boy’s retreating back dejectedly. Wait, how did he know her name? She hadn’t mentioned it yet. Krystal pushed it to the back and smiled as she repeated his name. Amber. She hopes she gets to play with him later. That’s what he said.