Tale of Two's Heart-1

Kryber Stories

 

 

 

 

Two kingdoms have been at war for centuries and when two new kings were appointed the first thing they did was stop the on-going war. The two kings signed a peace treaty that called for the release of any and all prisoners of war, calling their troops home, establishing trades, and the opening of their boarders. Of course what sealed the deal was the arrange marriage between their children (which no one knew about except the kings for safety reasons), hoping and praying that a political marriage would forge an unbreakable bond between the two kingdoms, stopping any attempts of war from breaking out.

 

Liu Kingdom

 

“How is she? How’s my queen?” King Liu stopped his pacing and asked when he saw the nurse exiting the queen’s quarter.

 

“I’m sorry to inform, your majesty…the queen has passed.” The nurse bowed apologetically, holding back her own tears. The queen was like a mother to her, one who helped her in her medical studies, one who she could go to talk about anything and everything with, one who would come and care for her whenever she fell ill. The queen was the mother she never had.

 

The king’s sorrowful cry was heard echoing throughout the palace, breaking the hearts of his people.

 

“W-what about t-the child?” he manages to squeeze out, not really having the strength anymore.

 

“I’m pleased to tell you they both are in perfect health, your majesty.”

 

“T-they?” he asked, confused, not understanding the nurse’s hidden message.

 

“Yes, your majesty. They. The queen gave birth to twins, a prince and a princess.” she informed, a small smile tugged on her lips. This was the only good that came out of the bad.

 

The king burst through the queen’s bedroom door, making with haste to the queen’s bedside before taking her already cold hands into his, softly caressing it all the while.

 

“My queen…Why? Why did you leave us?.” He asked as he held her hand, brushing his face against it. “How could you possibly think that we can live without you…hmmm?” He questioned softly but no reply came, a reply will never come. His tears plopped onto the queen’s hand before slowly rolling down and falling onto the floor. “I’ll look after our Donghae and Amber. You just rest now, okay? You’ve worked hard enough, my queen.” King Liu smiled a small sad one through his tears before leaning down and giving one last kiss to his one and only queen.

 

(2 years later)

 

Jung Kingdom

 

“Thank you, my queen, for giving me such a beautiful daughter.” King Jung leaned in and kissed his queen gently on her temple, not minding the sweat at all.

 

“You’re welcome, my king,” queen Jung smiled tiredly. She had been in labor the past 7 hours and she was now spent. “I’m tired. May I go to sleep?”

 

“Of course, of course. You’ve worked hard, my queen. Have a good rest. I’ll bring our Krystal to visit when you awake.” King Jung tucked his wife into bed before getting up and leaving, his guards following closely behind.

 

Throughout the palace the servants could be heard and seen celebrating this joyous occasion. Their queen had safely delivered a lovely princess who would one day lead their kingdom to a time of peace just like her father, the king.

 

Liu Kingdom

 

“Come to daddy. Come to daddy, Hae,” king Liu cooed, trying to get little prince Donghae to crawl to him but wasn’t getting anywhere. Compared to his sister who can already crawl, he was a late bloomer. Having a struck of genius, he ordered a servant to bring Donghae’s favorite toy, which just so happens to be a blue soft-fur dino. He read that by placing the baby’s favorite thing a distance away, it’ll motivate them to crawl.

 

King Liu crossed his fingers as he placed the dino a good distance away from little Hae. He watched with expectant eyes and was buzzing with excitement to finally get to see his little prince crawl. However, after waiting and waiting and waiting his excitement died. Donghae had not moved an inch from his spot. Pouting, he ordered the servants to bring every last one of Hae’s toys, thinking that there’s got to be one that was his favorite amongst them. But very much like the first, Hae didn’t budge, at all, just watching his father with big round eyes while drooling everywhere.

 

Just when he was going to give up, little Amber crawled by before stopping a distance in front of Donghae and tilting her head to the side, giggling. Probably making of you, Hae. King Liu chuckled at his thought. His eyes widen and he beamed before jumping around like a happy kid. “He crawled! He crawled!” he shouted as he ran to the servants and shook their hands excitedly. Now he knows. Donghae’s favorite thing wasn’t any worldly processions but his sister.

 

(5 years later)

 

“Nana!” 7 year old Amber shouted as she ran up to the her favorite nurse—the exact same one that had delivered her and Donghae—with a self-made flower crown.

 

Nurse Nana spun around and smiled when she saw princess Amber running up to her. Don’t ask how she knew it was the princess and not the prince because somehow, some way, she just did.

 

Nana was one of the three who could tell the twins apart, the others being the king, their father, and the head royal physician. Of course it surely doesn’t help when Amber’s voice and height was the same as the prince. Also, the princess refuses to wear princess's clothes, saying that it gets in her way of playing with her brother, so prince's cothes were tailored for her and she even went as far as chopping off her long hair, making her have the exact same haircut as her brother. The twins, knowing that the others will mistake the two, uses this to their advantage and always play harmless pranks on the servants, causing major headaches for everyone.

 

She squatted to the girl’s level and ruffled her messy hair, laughing when grass, leaf and twigs fell out. “What is it, princess?”

 

“Mou, don’t call me princess, Prince, call me prince!” she demanded cutely. She didn't like being called princess and had ordered everyone to call her prince Amber, which the king had reluctantly allowed.

 

Nana chuckled. "Okay, what is it prince Amber," she stresses out the prince.

 

“Look, I made this for you!” Amber beamed her toothy smile as she extended the self-made flower crown. “Do you like it?” she began fidgeting nervously, scared that Nana might not like it.

 

“No..”

 

Amber’s heart fell, her smile slowly vanishing.

 

“..I love it!” Nana finished quickly, not wanting to make her princess sad.

 

Amber suddenly threw her arms around the woman’s neck and hid her face in the crook. She hated the smell of anesthetics but she loved Nana’s scent, even though it was mixture of anesthetics and some other fragrance she couldn’t tell. For some reason just smelling the scent made Amber felt at ease, comfortable, and safe.

 

“Amber!” Donghae came running up to the two, panting heavily and on his head was a flower crown, similar to the one Nana was now holding. “We have to hurry, our lesson is starting,” he bid a good-bye to Nana before pulling Amber along.

 

Amber waved furiously while beaming a smile as the two ran off in the distance. Nana chuckled and wave back before glancing at the flower crown in her hand. “Thank you, princess,” she muttered softly, a soft gentle smile played on her lips before placing the crown on her head and walking back to her quarters. Nana cherishes everything that princess Amber gives her because the little girl was like a sister to her.

 

Amber parried the blow with her bo staff as it came swinging down on her. Grunting she uses all the force she could muster and pushed off, aiming her staff at Donghae’s midsection only to curse when he evaded it. The two back paddled, creating a distance and got in positon, watching and waiting for the other to make the first move. All was still and quiet before the breeze picked up and the two darted towards one another, clashing in the middle. The two broke off and stopped when they heard clapping.

 

“Well done, you two! That was excellent!” their trainer applauded as he stepped up the kids. He couldn’t be more proud of them, especially the princess. Although the two still needed to work on it, they were possibly the best 7 years old bo users in the whole kingdom.

 

Usually the prince and princess will have different lessons to prepare them for their future role. However, prince Donghae has strongly declined taking lessons without his sister and princess Amber had strongly decline taking any of her princess lessons, saying that they were a great waste of time. This of course made the king have many sleepless nights but in the end he had relented and allowed Amber to take the prince’s lessons alongside Donghae. The king doesn’t know whether the two’s bond was a good thing or a bad thing. Prince Donghae never does anything without his sister and princess Amber never goes anywhere without her brother.

 

As the royal family sat around the large dining table, king Liu announced to the kids that they’ll have important visitors.

 

“Who, daddy?” Amber asked with a mouthful of food.

 

“Amber,” king Liu looked sternly at her. “Don’t talk with your mouthful. Geez, you should follow your brot-”

 

“Can I get more food?” Donghae asked the servants with a mouthful of food, lifting his empty plates in the air.

 

This made the king sigh and shook his head at his kids’ poor table manners. “Donhae, Amber, don’t talk with your mouthful.”

 

Amber opened to ask why but swallowed her food first after her father shot her a warning look. “Why?”

 

“Because it’s rude.”

 

“Okay, I’ll try.”

 

“As I was saying, we’ll have very important guests so you two best be on your best behaviors, got it?”

 

“We will!” the two saluted playfully with a toothy smile.

 

For some reason king Liu was worried. His important guests were the royal family of Jung Kingdom, who should be arriving some time tomorrow and will be staying for two days. The two kings had wanted the two, prince Donghae and princess Krystal, to meet and possibly befriend one another now so that when they’re older the news of their arrange marriage would be better handled. He only hopes that everything goes without a fuss.