The Eighteenth

While You Were Kidnapped

            “Boss, I think you’d better take a look at this.”

            Taemin’s assistant nicknamed “Key” handed him a manila folder. Inside of it were pictures of you eating lunch and walking around with…

            Kai.

            Taemin’s eyes widened. “How the hell did they meet?”

            Key shrugged. “We have no idea, boss. But we can tell you that it wasn’t on purpose. Kai had been following his usual routine. Nothing out of the ordinary. They just kinda…met.”

            “This can’t happen,” Taemin said. “We need to take action. Hyemi can’t go back to him. I need her to stay.”

            “Her or her money?” Key questioned.

            “I do love Hyemi,” Taemin proclaimed. “I really do.” He stared back at the photos of you and Kai, you laughing and smiling so genuinely. It frustrated him.

 

 

 

            I was going through the invite list for my great 18th birthday bash, seeing if I was missing anyone. It was going to be exclusive, no doubt. I was more than satisfied with the lake house venue, in addition to the balloon bouquets and flower arrangements that I had ordered for the event.

            As I came across the last sheet of my guest list, I found my thoughts drifting back to Jongin. My gut told me to invite him, also. He and I were somewhat friends, right? There should be no harm in inviting him.

            I wanted to personally invite him to my birthday party and hand him the invitation myself, out of politeness. And maybe because I had the strange urge to see him again. I had no idea what it was that made me feel so attracted to him.

            I didn’t know where he lived, so I decided to just wait for him at the mental hospital. He saw me when he came in through the doors, and I began to notice the expression that he had whenever he saw me: one of surprise, softness.

            “Hey,” I said.

            “What are you doing here?” He always seemed to ask me that.

            I handed him the gold envelope that I had in my hands. “An invitation to my 18th birthday party,” I clarified.

            “You’re inviting me?”

            “Of course.”

            “But why?”

            “Why not?” I asked. “We’re friends, aren’t we? Or, at least, acquaintances. It’s at a lake house.”

            Jongin raised a brow. “Really. A lake house?”

            “Is there something wrong with a lake house?”

            He gave me a look, one I couldn’t exactly decipher, before looking back at the gold envelope in his hands. Then shook his head as he gave it back to me. “I don’t think it’ll be a good idea for me to come,” he said. “I’m sorry.”

            He was always so distant with me. Every time I tried to come closer, I found him pulling away. Did he have some sort of hatred towards me?

            Jongin must’ve noticed the expression on my face because he then added. “It’s not because I hate you or anything, it’s just…I just think it’s better if I don’t go.”

            “What could happen?” I asked, and I found it odd how much I wanted him to go. With anybody else I’d be fine if they declined and told me they couldn’t make it. But with Jongin, I truly did want him to come.

            “Lots of things…,” I heard him mumble.

            “Please come,” I pleaded ridiculously. “It’ll be my birthday.”

            Jongin bit his lip, then quietly slipped the invitation into his pocket. “I’ll think about it,” he said softly before leaving.

 

 

            It was supposed to be the night of my dreams.

            The balloon bouquets turned out perfectly, the food was plentiful and delicious, and everyone was having a good time on the dance floor and the patio overlooking the lake. I was with Taemin, trying to mingle and dance along with him but my mind continued to wander, wondering if Jongin was going to show up at all.

            “Hyemi,” Taemin said to me, grabbing my arm softly. “Are you alright? You seem distracted.”

            “Huh?” I asked. “Oh, it’s nothing.”

            “Ayyyyeee Taemin!” a friend named Jonghyun suddenly said, coming over to us. He was slightly buzzed. “Whoa, what are you doing here? And so quick! I swear I just saw you outside!!”

            “What?” Taemin asked, confused.

            “I saw you!!” Jonghyun was saying/yelling now. “I really did see you! You looked darker though, and maybe even a bit taller? But damn. You were wearing poor- clothes.”

            Taemin’s eyebrows furrowed. He let go of my arm and sweetly said, “Excuse me for a sec,” before leaving the banquet hall.

 

 

            Taemin grabbed Kai by the collar. “What the hell are you doing here?” he snarled. “I can make your life miserable, don’t you remember?”

            “Calm the down,” Kai spat, prying Taemin’s hands off of him. “I just came to give Hyemi her present.”

            “You’re not giving her anything.”

            “She came to me,” Kai replied, gaining the upper hand as he stood face to face with Taemin. “She was the one who invited me.”

            “Shut the up.”

            “I let things drift away,” Kai said. “I followed your orders, thinking of my mother’s safety and my feelings. I stayed far away from your world. But guess what? It didn’t work. She still found me in the end anyways.”

            “You did something. There’s no way that could’ve happened.”

            Kai scoffed. “Try and test fate.”

            “You want to talk about fate?” Taemin asked. “You wouldn’t even met her if it wasn’t for me.” He smirked. “That’s right. If Suho hadn’t gotten you to work for him, then you would’ve never even met Hyemi. And why did Suho choose you in the first place? Because you resembled me. Face it, Kim Jongin. Everything that has to do with Hyemi, will always come back to me. You can’t escape it. Why do you think she remembers me and not you? So save yourself the pain. If she comes to you, it’s probably only because of pity. Or even because you remind her of me when I’m not around. You two may have ‘found’ each other again, but that doesn’t mean that you two will end up together, will it? Maybe you’re just extremely unfortunate.”

 

 

 

            “That was a great party, Hyemi!”

            “Happy birthday!”

            “See ya at school!”

            I forced a smile as I waved goodbye to the last of my guests. “Drive safely,” I said weakly.

            “Had a good time, babe?” Taemin asked me as he kissed the top of my head.

            “Yeah,” I fibbed. “It was great.”

            But I was feeling somewhat sad. Jongin hadn’t shown up after all. I wondered where he was, what he was doing at this time of the night. It was a little past midnight. Surely, he would be asleep or something.

            Of course he had his own things to attend to. He and I hardly even knew each other. How could I expect him to come?

            I stayed back on the first floor to oversee the clean up, while Taemin headed upstairs. He had a business meeting in the morning and I wanted him to get as much rest as possible.

            I was helping some of the clean up men with their trash bags, unable to stop thinking about that one boy.

            Frustrated as to why I even felt this way about him in the first place, I headed outside to get some fresh air. I then noticed a figure standing by the lake, with his hands in his pockets. I crept closer, my heart beating fast at the thought of seeing him. “Jongin?” I asked. “Is that you?”

            The guy turned around, and under the moonlight I could now see that it, indeed, was him. “Hyemi,” he said, and the way he said my name sent a wave of warmth to my heart. “Hey.”

“Hey,” I replied a bit too happily. “What are you doing out here? I didn’t think you came.”

“Yeah, um…I didn’t,” Jongin said. “I had complications. But I stuck it out because I have your gift.”

            “My gift?”

            Jongin nodded. “It’s your eighteenth, after all.”

            He handed me a small box, wrapped in pearl white ribbon. I looked up at his face, his chocolate brown eyes. I felt like I could’ve stared at them all night.

            “Thank you,” I said, taking it from him. Then, very carefully, I undid the ribbon. Inside was a simple silver necklace with a crescent moon as the charm. It didn’t look expensive, but its simplicity was still so beautiful in my eyes.

            “Oh my gosh,” I said as I held it in my hands.

            “Do you like it?” Jongin asked with a small chuckle.

            “Yes, it’s…it’s beautiful.” I could hardly speak. For some reason I felt like I wanted to cry.

            Jongin shrugged. “Not as great as your other presents I mean, it’s not Tiffany’s or Cartier. But there’s a lady down my street who sells these things and I thought it’d look nice on you.”

            “No,” I said, shaking my head. “It’s…the best one. The best gift.”

            Jongin seemed satisfied as he began to back away from me. No. Please don’t.

            I didn’t know what came over me. I didn’t know why I felt so attracted to him, why I felt so safe and warm around him. Without thinking I took a step forward and wrapped my arms around his waist, pulling him closer to me. “Thank you,” I said softly. “For the best birthday ever.”

            Jongin seemed tense, and I wouldn’t blame him. But he softened quickly as his arms came around my back, his cheek nuzzled right by my ear. “I didn’t even do anything,” he replied honestly.

            “It’s okay,” I said. “You still showed up. That’s all I needed.”