Heated Pool with a Waterfall

While You Were Kidnapped

            I came to school the following day excited and a bit anxious.

            On the night at the hospital, Kai had told me that he would never leave me, and things between me and him had gotten so much more intimate than how we usually were.I wondered if he would go back on his word. I wondered if my sudden outbreak had been too much for him, if it’d scared him away. Because I’d let him know about my dream and why I’d run off to find him like that, I had also let him know that I cared. I just hoped that he cared enough about me, too.

            I was so busy thinking about these things that I hadn’t even noticed that Kai had come to school. He spotted me and smirked.

            “What are you doing in front of the school?” he asked. “Were you waiting for me?”

            “W-Waiting?” I asked with a scoff. “In your dreams.”

            Kai seemed amused. “You can admit it, you know.”

            “Admit what?

“That you like me.”

            “HUH?!” I exclaimed, trying to hide the fact that I was blushing like crazy. “What makes you say that?!”

            He leaned in closer, his eyes searching for mine. I nervously inched away, but at the same time I wanted to stay there, to be so close to him like that. “Because,” he said softly. “You can’t look at me in the eye.”

            RINNNNNGGGGG!

            Kai backed away and started laughing. Months ago I would’ve found his laugh annoying, a voice that I would want to banish to the sea witch in an instant.

            But now, as I watched him walk away to first period with his hands in his pockets, I couldn’t help but smile. He truly is one of a kind.

           

 

            We were going over the final part of King Arthur in class. Kai and I sat next to each other, with me trying my best to jot down notes as fast as possible.

            “…and class remember, for extra credit you can watch Excalibur and turn in a one-page report about it.”

            My head shot up. Extra credit?! But I wouldn’t want to watch the movie by myself…

            My eyes then turned over to Kai, who had his focus turned to the front.

            I sighed. How the heck was I supposed to ask him if he wanted to see a movie with me? I’d never been in such a position in my entire life. Plus, would it be considered a date or not?

            Class came to an end and I still hadn’t been able to muster the courage to ask Kai if he wanted to do the extra credit together.

            “Kai!” this girl in our class named Kim Yura said. She was awfully flirtatious and I felt my guard come on. “Wanna watch the movie together? You can come to my place. And after we watch the movie we can swim in my heated pool. We just installed a new waterfall, it’s gorgeous! You should come!”

            Kai looked at me, as if he was waiting for me to say something. “Um,” he started, “well…”

            “He can’t,” I blurted out.

            “Why not?” Yura asked, equally stubborn to have Kai watch the movie with her.

            “B-Because,” I said, feeling Kai’s eyes on me, “because he and I are going to watch it together. Sorry.” Not really.

            Yura crossed her arms with a huff. “Oppa, are you really watching it with Hyemi?”

            “Uhhh.”

            I stepped on his toe.

            “OW—uh, I mean, yeah. I am.”

            “But my house has a waterfall.”

            Kai shrugged. “I don’t really like swimming.”

            “Fine,” Yura snarled, turning on her heels and walking away. I bit my lip to try to hide the smile growing on my face.

            Kai looked at me expectantly. “Huh. Never knew we had a date.”

            “I couldn’t just let you go watch it with Kim Yura!” I exclaimed. “You’d be annoyed, seriously. I was saving you the pain.”

            He seemed to be genuinely happy that I was getting so worked up. “What?” I growled. “You like seeing me angry?”

            “No,” Kai said, shaking his head. “I like seeing you jealous.” He held out a hand to me. “C’mon let’s go. We’ll be late for class.”

            His hand was right in front of me, waiting for me. Looking away so that he couldn’t see how goofily I was smiling, I took it. He pulled me up and the two of us headed to class. People gave us looks in the hallways, but I hardly noticed as I held onto his hand tight. It was so warm, so soft. I could’ve held onto it forever.