She Looks So Perfect

While You Were Kidnapped

            “Are you busy after school today?” I asked Kai after class ended.

            “Probably not,” he replied. “Why?”

            “I have a second dress fitting,” I said. “And you have to be there so we can get your tux.”

            “I have to wear a tux?”

            I put a hand on my hip. “Yes, you do. What the hell did you expect? Pajamas?”

          “Okay, okay,” Kai said, slipping his beanie back on. “Calm down. I’ll meet you at the front gate after school.”

            “Good. And remember, this is serious stuff,” I reminded him.

            All he did was smirk before walking away. This has to be the worst idea on the planet. I really hoped I wasn’t going to regret this one.

            I met up with Jackson at lunch.

            “Holy . Kai’s going to be your ?!” Jackson shrieked.

            “Shush!” I hissed. “Don’t be so loud!”

            Jackson put a hand to his heart. “This is too good to be true. , you guys are going to look so cute.”

            “Can you stop?” I asked, smacking his head. “Ugh I’m so stressed. He seems like the most uncooperative person in the universe. If he makes a fool out of me, it’ll be my own fault because I was the one who chose him.”

            “Don’t worry about it, Hyemi. I’m sure he’ll do fine. He seems like a good guy,” Jackson replied, rubbing his head. “Ow. That hurt.”

            “Are you and Jiyeon in cahoots or something?” I asked. “How can Kai seem like a good guy? He treats me like .”

            “?” Jackson questioned. “He took you home when you were drunk.”

            “Yeah but he was going to leave. He wouldn’t have taken me home if I hadn’t clung onto him,” I argued.

            “Okay well, hadn’t he also offered to be your when no other guy would?”

            “He may have offered,” I said, crossing my arms. “But only because he pitied me, not because he cares or is a nice guy. Plus, who knows how he’ll screw up.”

            Jackson snorted. “You think Kai’s going to screw up?”

            “Oh I don’t think,” I replied. “I know.”

 

 

            “Please be nice to my mother,” I said to him as the two of us entered the boutique. “She’s very excited about this and I don’t want you to be a jerk to her.”

            “You view me way too negatively,” Kai answered.

            I stopped and glared at him. “Well you can never be too careful.”

            “Hyemi!” my mother called out.

            “Hi mom. This is Kai.” He, to my surprise, politely bowed.

            “Nice to meet you, Mrs. Moon,” Kai said.

            “Kai?” my mother asked. “That’s an unusual name.”

            “It’s a nickname,” Kai clarified. “I like to think it suits me.”

            My mother pulled me aside. “Honey, he looks a lot like Taemin.” I could tell she was worried.

            “I know,” I said. “I know he does.”

            “Are you sure you want him as your ? Although, he is rather tall, which is good.”

            I looked back at Kai, who was now looking at the complimentary mints at the register. “He’s fine,” I said. “He’s a work in progress but I need something to keep me busy, I guess.”

            “Well if you say so.” My mother reluctantly ended the conversation and brought me back to Kai.

I knew she was wary about having him as my . But since I’d chosen him, I felt like I had the responsibility to prove to her that I’d made the right decision. Maybe that was why I was so strict on Kai making me look good, despite his lower status and lack of knowledge about the upper class society.

            My mother and I had decided on this white, bridal-like gown for the ball. White was a color that really suited me so I was satisfied, but I hated how it looked like a wedding dress.

            However, I pushed that thought out of my mind as I tried it on. Kai was sitting outside doing who knows what. He’d just gotten his measurements done and was relaxing somewhere.

            I walked out of the fitting room, looking for my mother. Instead, I found myself face to face with Kai.

            “Where’s my mom?” I asked him.

            “…”

            I stared at him, puzzled. “What’s wrong with you?”

            Kai was staring at me from head to toe.

            “Helloooo?” I waved a hand in front of his face. “Anybody in there?”

            Kai snapped out of it. “U-Uh…your mom,” he said, “wanted you to try on this necklace with the dress.”

            I took the necklace from him and stood in front of the mirror, struggling to put it on myself. “Help me put this on would you?”

             “No,” Kai immediately said.

            I put my hands on my hips. “’No’? Are you freaking kidding me?”

            Just then my mom walks and coos, “Hyemi you look gorgeous! You’re definitely going to make a grand entrance at the ball. Oh forget about the necklace, you and your collarbones look so much better without it!”

            “Saved by the bell,” Kai mumbles.

            “What was that?” I asked.

            “Nothing.” Kai gets up and adds, “I should get going.”

            “But you haven’t even tried on your tux yet,” I said.

            “Oh it’s fine dear, I’m sure his tuxedo fits him. What we need to worry about is what you’re going to do with your hair!” my mom said.

            “See you at school?” I said as I Kai grabbed his backpack from the floor.

            He nodded, not meeting my eyes. “Whatever.” Then he left.

 

A/N: yes, title inspired by the 5sos song :)