Only Trying to Help

While You Were Kidnapped

            Saturday, debutante. It has been 13 days.

            Kai showed up at the venue at around 5 PM, as scheduled. I’ve got to admit, he was being surprisingly cooperative and I was really appreciating it.

            I was in the middle of getting my hair and makeup done when he arrived.

            “There you are,” I said. I noticed that he was carrying his tux in his hands with the plastic carefully wrapped around it and grinned, satisfied. “You brought the tux.”

            “I’m practically your slave until this thing ends.”

            “Put on your tux and check in with hair and makeup,” I said. “The other guys are getting ready too.”

            “I actually have to get my hair done?”          

            “YES,” I said. “It’s a must! Now hurry up! It’s going to get crowded soon and you want it done asap.” I left Kai to fend for himself and went back to hair and makeup.

 

 

            “All girls line up in order!” Hyoyeon bellowed.

            We all obeyed and I ended up standing behind Naeun. She turned around and gave me a kind smile. “Good luck out there,” she said.

            “Thanks,” I replied. “You, too.”

            The names started getting called. My heart pounded against my chest as I waited for my turn. I straightened my back, shoulders poised.

            “Moon Hyemi, escorted by Kim Jongin.”

            I stepped onto the stage while Kai entered through the other end. I watched as he walked towards me, and I grew into a state of awe.

            His tux fit him perfectly. With his shirt tucked into his pants, I realized how long his legs really were, how he now seemed to tower over me with that height of his. His hair was styled, his entire attire itself looking so impeccable that I admit that I found it insanely attractive. I wasn’t seeing Taemin at the moment. I was seeing Kai.

            He smirked at me as he held out his arm for me to link. I happily accepted and found myself smiling at him. The two of us walked down the runway with all eyes on us and descended down the stairs below onto the floor along with the other couples.

            “I can’t believe I let you have them use my real name,” Kai mumbled.

            I grinned. “It is my debutante after all.”

            All couples were on the floor and the dance was starting. Kai held out a hand and I took it. The two of us went along with what we’d rehearsed, as did the other couples.

            I noticed that Kai kept glancing over at Myungsoo and Naeun. More specifically, Naeun. I wondered what was up.

            After the dance, we were all applauded and it was time for the dinner. Kai and I sat at our designated tables. I was having fun talking to Wendy, although Kai seemed lost in his thoughts.

            I nudged him. “You alright?”

            He seemed to consider this. “No,” he finally said. “I’m not. Can we talk?”

            Something was definitely wrong. I put down my napkin and nodded. “Sure.”

            Kai and I excused ourselves and went outside where we could talk in private.

            “What’s going on?” I asked.

            “Have you and Taemin slept together before?” Kai asked bluntly.

            “Um…” This was rather personal but I replied anyways. “Yes, we did. It was on the night we said we loved each other.”

            “You told him you loved him,” Kai stated. “Really.”

            “Of course,” I said.

            “Do you even know what love is?” Kai asked, strangely growing angry.

            “I know more than you,” I retorted. “And who are you to tell me about the validity of my love for my own boyfriend?”

            “I’m just saying that maybe Taemin isn’t who you think he is,” Kai said.

            I shook my head. “That’s impossible. I know him inside out.”

            “No,” Kai said. “You don’t.”

            Now I was starting to get angry. “You don’t even know him so how can you say that? How can you be so rude and obnoxious? Why the heck are you even bringing Taemin up? Do you know how much it hurts when I—“

            “—I do,” Kai said. “I do know. And that’s why I’m telling you this, so you can stop hurting because you deserve better.”

            I was getting confused. “What the hell are you talking about?”

            “When I was getting my hair done I heard Myungsoo and the other guys talking in the waiting room,” Kai said, looking straight into my eyes. “He’d forced Naeun into bed with him, and she’d reluctantly complied. Hyemi, Taemin cheated on you.”

            “N-No,” I said shakily, not wanting to hear any of this. “He wouldn’t.”

            “He’d obviously cheated on you so why are you still being so ignorant about it?”

            “Because,” I retorted, “because he’s all I have, don’t you understand? Without him I don’t have my sanity. Who am I without him? I don’t care if he cheated on me or whatever because I know that he still loves me. He has to!” By now I was crying and I already knew it. I wiped the tears off of my cheeks, my makeup clearly running. “Thanks a lot. Thanks for ruining my night with this.”

            “I was only trying to help.”

            “Well you did nothing!” I shrieked at him. “All you did was turn me into this insane, miserable wreck! How the hell am I supposed to face the people in there now when I can’t stop crying?! I knew I shouldn’t have chosen you. I knew I was making a mistake.”

            “Well you chose me in the end anyways,” Kai said. “And I know you can still walk in there, okay? You look better without all of that makeup on your face anyways.”

            I rolled my eyes. “Bull.”

            “It’s true.”

            All I did was ignore his response as I brushed past him to get to the hair and makeup room through the back door. I sat there and tried my best to compose myself as I redid my makeup to my best ability. My nose was still horribly red, but my eyes were alright, so I went back outside.

            Kai was nowhere in sight. I would’ve wondered where he was, although now I hardly cared. He’d ruined my night, and to think I had faith in him.

            “Hyemi!” my mother says as she runs up to me. “Everyone was really impressed with your performance today. You certainly made a grand impression! That Kai boy as well, everyone loved him!”

            “Really,” I said.

            “Yup!” my mother beamed. “I admit, I did have my doubts about him, but he ended freshening up quite nicely and outshined all of the other escorts. I am so proud of you for choosing him.”

            I guess one good thing came out of today. My reputation in the social circle has now been raised from ‘Lee Taemin’s unfortunate girlfriend’ to something admirable.

            I sighed. I suppose tonight wasn’t all bad, although I would have to take some time to think about my situation with Kai. In the meantime, I felt like I should thank Jiyeon for practically setting him up as my . I spotted her across the room

            I tapped her on the shoulder. “Hey, Jiyeon,” I said. “Thanks for telling Kai about me and the whole thing. He turned out better than I planned.”

            “What are you talking about?” Jiyeon asked. “I didn’t say a word to him.”

            My eyes widened. “You didn’t?”

            Jiyeon shook her head. “Nope. I haven’t talked to him since I introduced myself at the dance off.”

 

 

A/N: Yooooo so if you guys haven't seen it yet, here's the trailer :) Subscribe and comment! Love you all and I will be updating more from now on :)