Dating Train

While You Were Kidnapped

            I came to school in a rush.

            I’d woken up late, and traffic had been terrible on the way to school. In a messy bun and sweats, I made it to first period just before the tardy bell rang. I sank into my seat, running out of breath.

            Kai took out an earbud. “Nice outfit.”

            I shot him a glare. “I am in no mood for your comments.”

            “What’s with the sweats anyways?” Kai asked. “And the bun?” He played with the top part of it, flicking it back and forth. “Some look for the most polished girl in school.”

            “I was staying up late last night,” I said. “Finishing up our writing assignment. BY MYSELF.”

            Kai smirked. “Oh yeah. Woops.”

            I pulled out the essay out of my backpack and slammed it onto his desk. “You turn it in,” I ordered. “Because I’m too exhausted to walk up there.” I yawned and rested my head on the desk.

            “Hey, it’s not my fault that I don’t have a computer or internet,” Kai retorted.

            “Whatever. Next time, we’re working on this together in the library. No procrastination,” I demanded.

            Kai rolled his eyes and muttered, “Yes ma’am.” He reluctantly got out of his seat and turned the paper in to our teacher.

            “So, how are you faring?” he asked me when he got back, referring to Taemin.

            I shrugged. “I’m okay. Things like that just don’t happen overnight.”

            “Yeah,” Kai agreed. “The important thing is that things like that do happen, and that it will happen. I’m sure you’ll be much happier when that day comes.”

            Happier.

I never thought that a person like Kai would care, much less consider about my happiness.

I leaned my cheek against my arm, eyeing him.

            “What?” Kai asked.

            I smiled to myself. “Nothing.”

 

 

            “I think it’s safe to say that it’s about time you get back out there.”

            I rolled my eyes. “Jackson, seriously?”

            “You know, being stuck to one person is not healthy,” Jackson was saying. “You need a variety of interests, and now that Taemin is out of the picture, what better time to find you a new man!”

            “I really don’t need a new man right now. Honest.” Getting over Taemin wasn’t easy, but I was bearing with it. The thought of him almost pushing me to the brink of death scared the daylights out of me.

            My mind raced back to the flames in the burning building, how I’d just seemed so willingly to die. In that instant, my eyes flickered over to a lonely figure sitting outside in the courtyard, beanie on and ear buds intact.

            “Hyemi…Hyemi?”

            I snapped out of it. “What?”

            It was Lee Hongbin, a senior. He was a pretty popular guy in his grade also, mostly known for his parent’s money of course. He’s the heir to Vixx Inc.

            Jackson gave me a weird look, but didn’t say anything.

            “Uh, hi,” I said, sensing the strangeness as well. Why was Hongbin suddenly talking to me?

            “Hey, Hyemi,” Hongbin replied with a charming smile. “Word on the street is you’re single now?”

            I shot Jackson a dark look. Of course. Of course my best friend Jackson Wang would blabber to practically the entire school that I was free to take.

            “Something like that,” I mumbled.

            “Great,” Hongbin said, eyes wide and bright. “There’s a new movie coming out this weekend. Would you like to go with me?”

            My eyes widened. “As in on a date?”

            Hongbin smirked, amused. “Yes.”

            I hesitated, and that sent Jackson into frenzy. “What are you waiting for?!” he hissed, nudging my arm. “Go for it!”

            “U-Uh…sure!” I said a bit too excitedly, and I wasn’t even sure if it was real excitement. “That sounds fun.”

            “Awesome! I’ll message you the details, okay?”

            “Sure.”

            “See you then.” With one last charming smile, Hongbin gracefully walked off to his table of popular seniors. He was also a loafer-wearing boy. Must be something in the business department.

            “Awhhhh yeaahhh! Hyemi’s back on the dating train!” Jackson proceeded to dance some embarrassingly horrible dance moves in his seat. “But why’d you hesitate?” he asked. “Hongbin’s a super popular guy. His parents have so much money. He’s just as good as that ex-boyfriend of yours, if not better.”

            My eyes went back to the boy sitting outside, ear buds still on. “I don’t know,” I said aloud, my eyes still focused on that one boy. He looked up and we met eyes. My heart skipped a beat.

 

 

            That Saturday evening as I got ready for my ‘date’ with Hongbin, I couldn’t help but think about how it would feel to get back out there again. I’d been with Taemin for so long that I thought I’d forget how to start anew, even though the experience should be there.

            Hongbin made things very easy for me though. He was a true gentleman, opening doors for me and paying for my popcorn and everything. We laughed a lot during the movie and snickered as we made snarky comments to each other in the dark, amidst the sea of people. All in all, the date wasn’t as bad as I thought it’d be.

            After the movie, Hongbin and I headed off to dinner at an expensive gourmet restaurant. Hongbin paid for everything, claiming that it was “to make up for taking you out on such a cheap movie date. Next time, we’ll do something a whole lot more extravagant.”

            He was already thinking about next time, but I wasn’t complaining. He seemed fun to be around.