The One with the Second Chance

Cinderella
Episode 8

 

 

“Just give me a chance!”

 

She had already stepped out but stopped when she heard his plea. She barely turned her head to him but kept her gaze down on the floor as she softly spoke up. “I’ll see you on Friday.”

 

Finally disappearing out of his sight, Yongguk dropped his head as he breathed out, giving up on going after her. Going back to his desk, he packed up his things and walked out of the classroom and out of the building towards his parked car. As he was about to reach his vehicle, he recognized Jieun’s bike that was still there and turned around, wondering if she was still on campus.

 

Hesitating on what to do, he decided to simply climb inside his car and go back home knowing that even if he wanted to give it another try to convince her, he’d still find himself in the same spot.

 

Shaking off the idea, he the engine and drove away, putting his focus back on where it should be: a scholarship for college.

 

As for Jieun, she left the classroom towards the drama club where she knew she would find her three other friends busy with the preparation for the musical.

 

“Hey guys~”

 

“Jieun? I thought you were tutoring after class?”

 

“Oh, yea… I gave the kid some homework so I’m free for now.”

 

“Who’s the student?” With Hyosung looking up at her friend in curiosity, Jieun tried to walk across the classroom towards the group without making her answer seem like it was a big deal. “Yongguk.”

 

“Whoa! Really?”

 

“Mhmm.”

 

“Did you guys… talk?”

 

“Yea but I don’t believe what he said.”

 

“What did he say?”

 

Sitting down, she told everything that had happened and in the process, it left her to have glimpses appearing inside her mind as it put its focus on the way he was looking at her, as if she had really hurt him. Once she was done, she was looking down at her lap letting her fingers play with the fabric of her pants while she had three pairs of eyes looking at her in worry.

 

“Jieun?”

 

“Yea?”

 

Sunhwa took the lead as she went by her friend’s side and sat down next to her. “He was really worried about you when you weren’t there last week. He even came to me begging me to see if we could tell you to talk to him. He looked… desperate to talk to you.”

 

“I was starting to really like the guy and then this happened and its just…”

 

“It just what? So you had a bad experience, it happens to most girls our age with our first time. Don’t let it bring you down sweetie, maybe it was suppose to happen the way it did.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“It’s clear that the guy has a crush on you and you just said it yourself: you like him. Maybe you two hooking up wasn’t a bad thing after all…”

 

“Sunhwa is right, you should give Yongguk a chance…”

 

Looking up at Hannah, Jieun let out a sigh as she was rethinking things through. “I-I don’t know what to do… I’m afraid that if I give him a second chance that things will get screwed up again. I’m still believing that he tricked me into sleeping with him.”

 

“Jieun, you got this impression because he’s the popular cocky kid. I mean he looks the part but from what I saw, he was genuinely concerned about you.”

 

“I’ll think about it… We have another session at the end of the week anyways. Can we change the subject now? I need a distraction.”

 

“Which brings me to this! We lost our male lead.”

 

“What?!”

 


 

The rest of the week flew by without Yongguk and Jieun speaking a word to each other. Once it was time for chemistry, they still ignored each other despite how hard it was for both of them. At the sound of the bell ringing, Yongguk quickly took out a stack of papers as he slid them over to Jieun’s side and packed up his things before leaving, still without a word.

 

She watched him go as he followed the wave of students that were getting out before her eyes landed on what he handed her.

 

She bitterly huffed out at her sight as she picked the papers up, recognizing the practice tests from the chemistry book. Sitting back down on the chair, she looked over the test and skimmed through his answers. She frowned as confusion struck her; shaking her head, she packed up her things, left the classroom and searched for him until she spotted him by his locker. Tapping on his shoulder, he turned around, taken aback but looked puzzled by the glare she was giving him.

 

“Give me your chemistry book.” He quickly took it out of his locker and gave it to her as she shoved papers against his chest. “Take this test. I want it done by Friday.”

 

He looked down at the content and quickly shot his head back up. “But I already did it!”

 

“Yea! By using your book as a reference!” She hastily waved his old practice test in front of him as she talked back. “Those aren’t your answers, they are word for word taken from the manual. If you really want to stay in the team, you better make an effort.”

 

“Sorry…”

 

His mumbled apology left her speechless. Standing still with her eyes slightly wider, she stuttered an ‘okay’ before lightly nodding her head and walking away, giving him her back to stare at before disappearing in the crowd. He shifted his eyes back to the paper and quickly shoved it inside his bag before walking out to his car, driving back home.

 

He decided to skip out on football practice just so he could spend the evening doing this test and prove to her that he really wanted to improve. Parking his car in the driveway, he jumped out and rushed his way inside his empty house and straight into his messy bedroom, locking the door behind him.

 

The moment he sat down at his desk, he fished out a pencil with the practice exam and quickly started.

 

It lasted all evening.

 

He wasn’t even halfway through.

 

He was screwed.

 

He cursed out loud, throwing his pencil and ran his fingers through his hair, completely desperate. “Tomorrow is Friday… I can just fess up and ask her for help…”

 

Nodding his head to convince himself. He left everything as it was and got up from his seat as he grabbed onto his jacket and walked out of his bedroom. Running into his mother, she asked him where he was going to which he had only replied with a monotone voice without giving her a second glance.

 

“I’m going out. I need a break.”

 


 

Waiting in the empty classroom, Yongguk was starting to get impatient since Jieun was running late. Thinking that he got stood up, he was ready to leave when he heard the door open to reveal a panting Jieun. “Sorry I’m late… Drama club stuff…”

 

“Is everything okay?”

 

“Not really but it’s alright.” Walking to take a seat next to him, she gave him back his textbook in exchange for his practice test. “This isn’t even done…”

 

“I know… I skipped practice for that and hmm, I thought I could do it but yea… Can you help me, please?”

 

The anxious expression on his face got her to softly smile at him. “Of course Yongguk. Are you willing to put an effort?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Then let’s start.”

 

“Okay but before we do… Why were you late?”

 

“There’s just some problem with the musical that’s all. Now focus on chemistry, okay? I k-kind of have to go back after this.”

 

“Oh, okay.”

 

And just like they were suppose to, Jieun spent the next hour tutoring her student with his weakness. There was no presence of any kind of awkwardness at all, which pleased Yongguk a lot since he felt like he could finally be more comfortable around her and loosen up the tension that he has been feeling by being physically close to her. Jieun could feel her heart beat rise in from the way he would glance at her when she would explain something to him. She remembered how similar that gaze was from the party two weeks ago and it got her to feel suddenly nervous. She focused the best she could on what she was saying and whenever he would do an exercise from the book, she would glance at him and enjoy how concentrated he was even though he was still lost about the subject.

 

“Yongguk?”

 

“Hmm?” From the book, he turned his head to her, noticing the frown on her face as she was facing the surface of her desk, trying to come up with something to say. “What’s up?”

 

“Were you sincere about… what you said?”

 

“It depends on what it’s about.”

 

“That I hurt your feelings?”

 

“From the moment I stepped into that detention class, I’ve only spoken the truth to you, including the fact that I still want to hear you sing~” She lets out a light chuckle at his attempt to lighten up the mood around them. It got him to timidly smile before fully widening his grin when she looked at him, finally having that soft and warm gaze he’s been waiting to look at since that night. “Finally I get to see a smile on your face! Does that mean I’m granted with a second chance?”

 

She was about to answer when they got interrupted with Hyosung barging in, calling out to Jieun with a hurry. “What’s wrong?”

 

“We need you, like now.”

 

“O-oh, okay, I’m on my way.” Once she was gone, Jieun turned back to the boy with an apologetic look on her face. “It looks like they need me, I’m sorry. We can pick this up on Monday if you want.”

 

“Hmm, yea sure, no problem.”

 

She ran out and left him by himself as he quietly watched her go. Getting curious, he decided to follow her and see what was all the commotion for the musical about. Making his way to the auditorium, he silently stepped inside and caught Jieun with her friends on stage trying to catch a glimpse of what they were saying.

 

“I thought we had already found a male lead?”

 

“He bailed out. It’s the second one! If this continues, we’ll have to cancel the play.”

 

“Do we even know how the hell we lost three guys in the span of two freaking weeks?!”

 

“They just quit without a good explanation except for the original one…”

 

“I bet you Bong Cha has something to do with his. Ugh! I hate that !”

 

“We all do sweetie.”

 

“We should just post up an audition sign up sheet, try to bribe them by saying it will give extra credits for those who need it.”

 

“You think it would work?”

 

“Hopefully…”

 

Back to the quarterback, he slipped out of the auditorium with a smug smile on his face as a sudden idea popped out of his head.

 

“If they need a male lead for the play, I got no problem being Prince Charming~”

 



 

A/N: Okay! It may be unecessary but I still feel the need to let you guys know about this. So just to make things clear about the timeline, right now, it's September. I did some reasearch about the school system in SK and found that 'senior year' they have two semesters, where the second one starts from September until February. As for the year, it is up to you; either its 2014 or the actual year when they were in their last year of high school (since both of them are the same age).

 

Back to the story, hmm, okay yea, I hope you guys are enjoying the story so far :3 It's a romcom/fluff story so there's barely going to be any drama besides the typical high school drama we hear about hehe :P

 

There's a looooot more to come and you will soon see if Jieun will ever forgive our dear Guk \^o^/

 

Lots of love, xo