The One with the Cold Shoulder

Cinderella
Episode 22

 

 

As she was walking away from him, she started running back inside the building, going straight for the drama club where she knew she would find her friends working on the musical.

 

Once she barged inside the classroom, only her cries could be heard as the three other heads lifted up at the abrupt interruption and stopped what they were doing as they saw their friend, completely shaken up with tears streaming down her face.

 

No words were said, nor were they needed.

 

She just wanted comfort from her best friends, she needed them the most right now because she didn’t have anybody else.

 

They met half way through the classroom when Jieun jumped right in her friends’ arms, reaching her breaking point as she poured her tears out without being able to stop. They stayed close to each other, trying to soothe her pain though they knew it wasn’t going to work just by gently rubbing her back.

 

The three girls looked at each other with just one glance and knew what they had to do. It wasn’t much though but it was enough to help their friend get her mind off her heart breaking by the boy she was falling in love with.

 

“How about we spend the weekend together at my place, hmm? We all need a little break before the rush of finals and the musical starts. What do you think?”

 

A simple nod on Jieun’s part was all it took to have a satisfied sigh coming out of Sunhwa as she squeezed her friend in her arms for a tighter comforting hug.

 


 

“How… did you find out he cheated?”

 

“Bong Cha… I overheard a phone conversation she was having with one of her friends. She did it on purpose because the door was wide open and she was staring at me from her vanity when she talked about… what ha-happened. She won… She finally gets him back.”

 

“Jieun, don’t say that-”

 

“But it’s true! She tried everything to sabotage our relationship and she succeeded!”

 

Spending the weekend with her friends like they had planned, Jieun was finally venting out the events of the past days, trying to get the weight off her shoulders but even at that she still felt heavy in her heart. “And all of this just because he broke up with her… It’s his fault!”

 

“Sweetie, he broke up with her for you-”

 

“Did he really have to do that though? I never asked him for something like this. He caused this all… I hate him…” Mumbling her last words, she had her eyes down on her crossed legged lap busying herself by tracing random patterns on her legs while the girls were looking at her until Hyosung decided to act up, demanding her friend’s phone.

 

“I don’t have it. Bong Cha stole it from me… and to top it off, she gave it to her mother and that’s when I received that call… I didn’t get through with the audition. I failed… If I knew it from the start then maybe none of this would be happening right now.”

 

“Do you regret breaking up with him?”

 

“I-I don’t know. I love him – I fell in love with him. Knowing that he betrayed me so easily just pisses me off!”

 

“You need to talk to him-”

 

“N-no. It’s over. I shouldn’t even have given him a chance.”

 

“But then you wouldn’t even have had the good times with him and we know how much it meant to you. We’re here for you Jieun. What he did was wrong, this is true, but you have to talk to him. He wanted to give you his side of the story – Bong Cha planned this after all, didn’t she? We’re not asking you to give the guy a chance. Just talk with him and figure things out… If you don’t plan on getting back with him and instead want to move on, at least end things properly.”

 

‘But I didn’t want things to end…’ She was holding in her tears by letting those thoughts wander inside her head, squeezing her heart even more. She was already missing him and she hated herself for feeling like this; she was angry at him, yes, but she still had that longing of wanting him back and erase this whole situation. “I don’t know what to do a-anymore… I’m angry but I miss him so m-uch.” Slowly her soft sobs were choking her words, leaving her to have those tears trickle down her cheeks. She felt Hyosung’s arm wrapped around her and quickly laid her head down on her friend’s shoulder, letting her comfort her pain.

 

“You’ll get through this. We’re here for you sweetie.”

 


 

Back on Monday and things were still sour.

 

Jieun had done everything to avoid Yongguk and this included skipping out on her chemistry class, but it also happened to be something that Yongguk did; instead of walking inside, he skipped out by hiding in the boys’ locker room, venting out his frustration and desperation the best way he could, which was to write them down.

 

As for Jieun, she hid inside the auditorium, rehearsing the songs she had to perform; the musical was just a few weeks away and this also included the finals that were right around the corner.

 

For Yongguk, the boy was still shaken up about the abrupt break up. He knew it was coming though because he knew that one way or the other, she would’ve find out he cheated, but then again, he was hoping that she would forgive him and work things out from there. Or at least start all over again; he wouldn’t have minded that option.

 

He doesn’t remember missing someone as much as he was missing her; his heart was broken and he knew he was the one to blame but he also wanted to be the one to fix things.

 

He wasn’t going to let her go that easily; he wanted to win her back and now, he was starting to think of a way to do it.

 

He had to be quick though. The deadline to graduation is getting closer.

 

When the bell rang, they both walked out of their hiding spot and made their way back into the crowded students in the hallway, walking to their next class.

 

They crossed path with Jieun avoiding eye contact with Yongguk while he was staring at her walking away from him as he had stopped in his steps, watching her leave.

 

He let out a sigh and turned back to his next class. On his way, he was suddenly interrupted with Bong Cha popping up out of nowhere as she jumped on the boy with her arms wrapped around his neck and latching her lips onto his, leaving him startled for a moment before quickly pushing her away, a hiss escaping from him. “What do you think you’re doing?!”

 

“I’m just showing a little bit of love to my boyfriend, is that so wrong?”

 

“I’m not your boyfriend, so back off.”

 

“Oh, come on~ You don’t have to be so sour~ You belong with me, that’s how it works babe~”

 

Feeling her hands caressing his waist for a hug, he hastily backed away and glared at her. “I said stop it. We’re not getting back together.”

 

“You’re saying this as if you’re going to get back with her. Good luck with that.” Huffing out, she walked away leaving the boy to sigh once more and shook his head before resuming his walk back into his next class.

 

Jieun didn’t miss the little stunt that her step-sister just pulled. Once again, the cheerleader spotted the girl and took this change to jump on Yongguk just to frustrate her, and again, she won.

 

Her heart broke at her sight; even watching him getting angry at the girl’s antics did nothing to her spirit. Anger, disappointment, sorrow, hurt, she had them all swirling inside of her leaving her depressed about having to go through a heartbreak like this one when she knows it wasn’t the end for them.

 

‘I’m sorry Guk but she’s always going to win…’