The One with the Break Up

Cinderella
Episode 21

 

 

 

With the events from yesterday, things went back to ‘normal’, or they tried to anyways.

 

As for Jieun and Yongguk, they haven’t spoken a word to each other since yesterday, with the girl ignoring her boyfriend everywhere they met during the day.

 

Luckily enough, they didn’t need to meet for the musical anymore, not because it was canceled but because the original male lead came back to school and resumed to his role as the prince, leaving Yongguk out – he was the replacement after all.

 

But they couldn’t avoid each other forever, especially not during their tutoring lessons.

 

Yes, Yongguk may be having better grades but the teacher still wanted him to have a tutor, knowing that it was the reason why he was getting higher grades.

 

Maybe not forever but for today, she found a way to avoid him.

 

Knowing that he was coming to chemistry class any time soon, she took this chance to slip up a note, telling him that she wouldn’t be able to meet him and that the session was canceled. Once he saw the paper lying on the desk, he knew that she just didn’t want to see him; he walked out of the classroom and went straight to the auditorium, knowing that she’ll be there since the opening night of the musical was just one month away.

 

Stepping inside the small theater, he shouted out her name, letting his voice echo across the room, which made everyone halt whatever they were doing.

 

Glaring back at the boy who was standing by the entrance, she jumped off stage and stomped her way to him, forcefully dragging him out of the room.

 

“What do you think you’re doing?!”

 

“Trying to have a normal lesson without having my teacher avoid me!”

 

“I’m not avoiding you! I’m practicing for the musical.”

 

“Keep telling yourself that. You haven’t returned my calls and haven’t answered my messages and today, you haven’t even looked at me!”

 

“This doesn’t mean that I’m avoiding you!”

 

“Yes it does!”

 

“Well, if it is then I’m allowed to do so!”

 

“Huh?! Why?!”

 

“Because I’m still mad at you!”

 

“Jieun… I’m sorry for what happened yesterday, I didn’t mean it! I promise!”

 

“You didn’t mean what? To blow me off the way you did?!”

 

She didn’t know that his apology was meant for something else; he wanted it to keep it that way. He didn’t want her to find out he had betrayed her, twice in the same day.

 

“Believe me when I say I’m sorry, please. I was confused and didn’t understand what was going on-”

 

“Didn’t understand?! Are you kidding me?!-” Before giving her the chance to go on, he grabbed her hand, to which she tried to pry it back away from him but only got pulled in against him; tightly holding one hand, he let his other softly caress her cheek and leaned closer to catch her lips, shutting her up. She wanted to push herself away but soon caved in, bathing in the familiar sensation his kisses would always create inside of her.

 

As for him, he needed reassurance. To let the butterflies inside his stomach take control of his fluttering heart, to let the rush of her lips travel through his veins making his blood boil in heat and desire, to simply fall back in love over and over again.

 

Breaking away, she was left stunned for a moment, before batting her eyes open, having in her sight Yongguk still standing close to her.

 

“Please Jieun…”

 

“Give me some time to think about us Guk.”

 

“H-how long?”

 

“I don’t know.”

 


 

“You’re delusional if you think we’re getting back together. I’m still with Jieun so back off.”

 

Standing by his locker, Yongguk pushed Bong Cha away as she had appeared from nowhere and suddenly clung onto him, annoying him in the process.

 

Bong Cha pretended not to feel offended by Yongguk’s remark and brushed it off. She went back on holding him by the arm, only leaving him to pry himself off once more. “I told you to back off Bong Cha.”

 

“Funny, I don’t recall you asking me this the other day~”

 

Glaring at her, he gulped down as he knew the hidden meaning behind her words and sensing the ‘threatening’ tone in her voice, he gave up the arguing.

 

The change in his facial expression made the girl sigh in satisfaction. She leaned further against him, her back to the lockers next to his while her arm was stretched out, her hand reaching out for his varsity jacket where her fingertips innocently played with its fabric, randomly dancing up and down his arm as he reached for his books, back and forth with his backpack placed in front of him. “C-can you please stop? It’s annoying.”

 

“Are you sure you don’t want me to continue? I know I can still drive you crazy~”

 

The seduction made him take a deep breath, calming down his nerves.

 

Bong Cha was utterly satisfied with the fact that she had the boy easily wrapped around her fingers; she had the leverage after all. She bit her bottom lip, pushing herself away to stand up straight and stared up at Yongguk with a hidden mischievous glint in her eyes while he tried to ignore her stare the best he could. He felt her fingers trace up to his cheek and just brushed it off as he tilted his head away from her touch. “Stop it.”

 

He glared back at the girl as he spoke with his husky and low voice, making her understand that he was irritated by her attitude.

 

All she did was take another closer step and tip toed, directly facing Yongguk.

 

“You don’t want me to stop. Trust me.”

 

“What makes you think so?”

 

“Because you and I both know what I can do if I’m not happy~” Lowering herself back down, she winked at the boy and walked away, leaving him frustrated with himself. He shut the door of his locker so loudly, he caught the attention of a few students passing by; he turned his back and slid down until he sat on the floor, a tired breath escaping his lungs.

 

He couldn’t hold onto the secret any longer. He needed to let it out even though he knew the consequence that would come out of it. Having Bong Cha creeping up his skin with that constant reminder, was pushing him to the edge; any step further and he would fall.

 

It wasn’t helping with the fact that he had another tutoring lesson at the end of the day; the finals were coming up and each session was becoming more important.

 

When the time came for the personal call, he walked inside the classroom and spotted Jieun sitting at their usual spot, waiting for him. She quietly greeted him as he walked over to his seat and took his place by her side, all that without being able to properly look her in the eyes.

 

Noticing this, she shrugged it off thinking that it might just have been because of what happened yesterday and went back to their learning hour, putting chemistry as their main focus.

 

So far, so good, Yongguk was able to put his mind into his academic class knowing how important it was if he wanted to graduate; luckily enough, he was also able to have her help him with a few other classes so he could maintain his grades without having to fail anything.

 

With the hour over, Jieun could still sense that something was wrong with Yongguk.

 

“Guk? Are you okay?”

 

“Y-yea, sure.”

 

“Really? You look like you have something to say…”

 

“I-I do?”

 

“Yea.”

 

“I’m fine… Don’t worry about it.”

 

Before she had time to muster a response, Yongguk was already out of the door, leaving her alone inside the classroom, confused by what just happened. She sighed and packed her stuff before walking out and making her way to her locker. Walking down the hallway was when she spotted them, making her drop the books she was carrying in her arms.

 

A few feet away, by his locker, Jieun spotted Bong Cha and Yongguk close to each other as if they were just about to kiss. The echo from her dropped material caught both of their attention as they turned around; Yongguk with a shocked face while Bong Cha was smirking in satisfaction.

 

Jieun huffed out as she picked up her stuff from the ground and turned around, walking the opposite way towards the school entrance, ignoring her name being yelled at by Yongguk. Once they were out in the empty parking lot, she suddenly stopped in her steps and swiftly turned back, looking very angry and frustrated at her boyfriend.

 

Don’t talk to me.”

 

“Jieun! Please! She’s the one that came on to me!”

 

“And you couldn’t push her away?! Is she that heavy?!”

 

“Babe, please-”

 

“Don’t ‘babe’ me Yongguk. I don’t want to hear it.” She walked out on him, leaving him standing as he watched her go, not having the energy to do anything else but to beat himself up like he’s been doing for the past few days.

 


 

One slap across the face was what it took to sting his eyes with tears on the verge of falling.

 

“You jerk. I can’t believe you did this to me. I was willing to give you a second chance but looking at it now I guess it was your way to tell me I wasn’t even worth the fight anymore. Goodbye Yongguk.”

 

Another spectacle so early in the morning, it had set the tone for the rest of the day.

 

“Jieun, it’s not what you think, please-”

 

“Stop with the excuses! Just stop it!”

 

He tried taking a step closer to her but she roughly pushed him back, making him stumble in the process.

 

“Don’t touch me. It’s over. For good.”

 

“No! Jieun, let me explain!”

 

“So you can lie to me again?! I trusted you Yongguk! I f* trusted you! Why did you have to do this to make things worse?! I was ready to give you another chance after you stood by her side but with this. It was a mistake. We were a mistake, I should’ve never given you a chance.”

 

“P-please… I never meant for this to happen! I-I was pushing her away and-”

 

“And what? You got carried away? Is that what you want to tell me?!”

 

“Don’t break up with me, p-please…”

 

“You want me to move passed this? Is that it? You cheated on me! You betrayed me! And now you want to pretend like none of this happened?! She won, okay?! That won! She finally gets to have you back where you belong. G-goodbye.”

 

Taking off from around her neck, she handed him back the necklace he had gifted her for Christmas and walked away, leaving him standing all by himself in the middle of the football field, the tears finally staining his cheeks in desperation and anger as she cried for his betrayal and anger.

 

Though she had the best moments with him, she regretted ever giving him the chance to prove that he was worth it.

 

‘You weren’t after all…’