017

My Step Bastard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

You opened your eyes to a blurry vision of white walls all around and then your vision clear up when you turned your head slightly toward your right and see your dad and step mom’s face.

"Aera, are you okay?" Your dad asked, worriedly.

"You and Tao made us all so worry!" Your step mom cried out. You could tell by her puffy face that she had been crying.

You groaned and sit up as your dad help you. "I don’t remember anything." You spoke softly.

"Miss Yuri and your classmate found you two fainted by the stream." Your step mom stated, "We’re all so worried that you two made have drown. But thank god, you two are okay." She gave you a tight hug. You wanted to hug her back to but your body is too weak to do so.

Just then something hit you. Did you misheard what they just say? You and… Tao? What do they mean by you and Tao drowning? Of course you were drowning, but Tao?

You pulled back from your step mom’s hug and looked at her with confusion. "Did Tao drown too?"

Your parent looked at each other and then back at you.

"So… you don’t know?" Your step mom asked. You gave her the same expression so she continued, "After seeing you fell into the water, he jump after you and rescue you out."  

Your eyes widen and you couldn’t believe what you’re hearing. Tao saw you fell into the water? Does that mean he follow you to the waterfall? He… follow you?

 

 

After your parent went out to grabbed something to eat, you made your way out of the nurse room. You walked down the hall, checking the room number for Tao’s room. Your parent say that his room is just down the hall but from where you were walking, it seem longer than just down the hall.

"Aera!"

You turned around after hearing Miss Yuri called out to you.

"What are you doing out here?" She asked as she walk over to you.

"I’m looking for Tao’s room." You replied. "Do you might know where his room is?"

Somehow you could tell that her face expression change.

"Um... Your parent haven’t told you?" She asked softly.

You shook your head.

"Tao’s already check out this morning. He’s going to be living with his uncle until…"

You waited for her to continued but she just let out a sigh and stared at you.

 

 

~ "Tao ah!!"

The ten year old Tao turned around, "Yes Hani noona?"

She waved her hand, "Come here! I got something to show you!"

"Okay!" He rushed over to his noona.

"But first, you have to close your eyes."

He did like he was told and she lead him to somewhere he doesn’t even know. She stopped him after a few walk.

"Okay, when I count to three you can open your eyes. Got it?"

Tao nodded.

"1…2…3!"

He opened his eyes…

"Happy birthday to you…."

His whole family and relatives gather around a lighted candle cake as they sang him the happy birthday song. He couldn’t hide the happiness from his face. Last year his dad couldn’t make to his birthday because of business issue but this year his dad was there and that what’s count.

"Make a wish and blow out the candle Tao." His dad said.

He closed his eyes and make a wish. After making his wish, he blow out the candle.

"Here!" Hani handed him a gift. "Your birthday present."

"Thank you." He grabbed the present and unwrapped it.

His eyes grew widen when he took out a snow globe out from the box. It has his and Hani picture in it.

"Do you like it?" She asked curiously.

He nodded and gave her a hug. "I love it noona."

She laughed and hug him as well.

 

 

After the surprise, Tao was kneeling the on ground, looking at the flowing river.

"Tao ah!" His aunt called out to him.

"Yes?" He answered without turning to her.

"Don’t go too close to the river okay? The current is too high right now."

"Okay!" He answered and continued to stare at the river for any fishes.

 

 

After getting bore of looking at the water, he decided to take a walk. He strolled pass his parent tent and heard some talking. He didn’t want to bother them or being so nosy but something caught his ear so he decided to move in closer to listen.

"What are we going to do?" His dad question. "Should we just tell him?"

"Of course he’ll have to know sooner or later but today isn’t a good day. Today is a special day for him I don’t want to ruin it. " His mom replied.

"Hurh!" His dad made a big sigh. "Hani’s okay with it. But why is it so hard just to tell him?"

 

Hani noona? Tao was a bit confused but after hearing his noona’s name… are they talking about him?

 

 

"He is still too young. And by the way, right now he needed us the most. If we tell him about it, he’ll be sad for the rest of his life." His mom said.

"He’s a man. He’ll get over it."

"Of course he’ll get over it. From the outside, yes. But not from the inside." His mom stated. "How can a child get over the fact that his parent are divorcing?"

 

 

Tao’s shoulder drop. He couldn’t believe what he was hearing. His parent are divorcing?

"Tao, what are you doing here?"

His parent turned toward where Tao was standing after hearing Hani’s voice. They rushed over and froze after seeing Tao.

Tao turned to Hani, who was behind him. "Is it true?"

"True? What?" She asked confusingly.

"That mom and dad are divorcing."

Hani looked at their parent and both of the parent lips were seal. His dad make a soft sigh and took a step to him.

"Tao ah… your mom and I—"

"Don’t say anything!" Tao screamed while turning to his dad, making everyone startled. "You are lying! You and mom love each other! You two are not divorcing!"

"Tao ah…" His mom grabbed his hand and he yanked it away.

"Don’t touch me!"

"Huang Zi Tao!" His dad exclaimed in anger at his action.

He startled a bit, for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter