Nine

Only One

Sungyeol gets up quietly from the bed and opens the curtains that had been closed so quickly the night before. Faint light floods the room, illuminating the white bed sheets tangled around the wooden bed. He turns his head to see Sungjong sleeping peacefully, so unlike the night before when he thrashed about wildly. He had struggled so hard but eventually Sungyeol had gotten through to him and after a while, they had fallen asleep.

He walks closer to the edge of the bed, gazing at the sleeping boy. The sun reflects off his face, making his features seem sharper and more defined. His hair looks lighter and is tousled, falling in short waves on his forehead. His torso is golden from the sunlight.

Watching him breathe in and out slowly, Sungyeol sighs. He has to admit, as much as he’s told Sungjong otherwise, he truly is a pleasing sight to the eyes. Sungyeol had always known he was beautiful but felt he had to tell him that he wasn’t, just because he was afraid to lose him.

He reaches a hand forward and lets it rest on Sungjong’s warm forehead, feeling traces of sweat that had long since dried. He leaves it there for a moment, staring down at Sungjong’s face.

Sungjong stirs slightly, slowly waking up. He doesn’t open his eyes but he knows that he’s awake. The peaceful state of mind he had while sleeping is now shattered as he remembers. The previous night’s events come racing back to him, so quickly they make his head hurt.

And another thing…someone is touching him. He feels the warmth of another human being close to his face. His senses flare up as he thinks of last night and how close another human being really got to him…

He opens one eye, then the other to see Sungyeol retreating from the bed, withdrawing his hand. Now that he thinks, he is incredibly sore and stiff and still a little drowsy.

Turning his head slightly, he looks at Sungyeol. The cold fear from last night is now replaced with wariness. And yet…Sungyeol just looks at him. He doesn’t say anything, just studies the younger boy, making Sungjong feel uncomfortable.

It’s bad enough he’s already broken me, his thoughts scream. But he doesn’t even have the decency to say anything. He just watches, an unreadable expression on his face as he stands by the window, silhouetted by the sunlight streaming in.

Not wanting to be the one to break the silence, Sungjong waits. He’s not in the mood to talk anyway. His mouth is dry and he has a throbbing headache. Not to mention his legs feel numb from being locked in the same position for so long.

Still silent, Sungyeol grabs his shirt from the floor, since it had been thrown there and crumpled the night before. Sungjong raises his head slightly from the pillow as the elder pulls it over his head and straightens the collar. He smoothes his hair off of his forehead, running a hand through it afterwards.

They lock eyes and Sungyeol tilts his head to the side. There’s no snide comments, there’s no knowing smirk, he’s just…Sungyeol. He looks normal. He looks the way he did before this whole thing started.

Sungjong bites the inside of his mouth to keep from crying out. He struggles to make his expression emotionless, a blank face when really all he wants to do is break down. But that would just tell Sungyeol that he’s as weak as he thinks he is and can have even more power over him.

He then turns and leaves as Sungjong watches. He hears the door close with a soft bang and he listens intently to make sure he’s really alone.

That’s when the tears start.

It’s not a flood by any means. But he still sobs quietly. It’s the worst type of crying. The silent one. He can feel it in his throat and his eyes become blurry with tears. It’s the crying that makes him want to scream. And yet he has to hold his breath and grab his stomach to keep quiet as he buries his head in the pillow, muffling the cries. This is the crying where he can’t breathe anymore.

Memories of the night before flash in his mind. It’s worse than he had ever felt before. Sungyeol had always been, well, not gentle but never this harsh. And last night was just…painful. It had left scars deep inside him. They had lied in bed while Sungyeol whispered to him but they were pretend whispers. Not his own lust and darkness taking control, telling Sungyeol how much he wants Sungjong now when he could really care less during the day. Sungjong knows this but he lets them make their cameo anyway.

And it is the reason for his hurting.


A/N: I hope I didn't scare anyoen away with the previous chapter. Things will get better, trust me. Just maybe not soon. ;)

On another note, happy birthday Lee Jongsuk! You're growing up so beautifully and my favorite actor!