Five

Only One

A/N: Sorry it's been so long, I just started school back up again this week and I made the volleyball team, so updates will be sporadic. Just a fair warning. But enjoy anyhow!


He walks along, humming to himself. Then he stops and smiles. He never hums to himself, ever. But only one person made him happy enough to do that.

Myungsoo hyung.

Just the thought of the older man makes a smile grace his delicate features. He’s only known him for a few days but it seems like they’ve been friends for much longer than that. He respects him and his boundaries, the fact he doesn’t like being touched too much. He’s never asked why and Sungjong doesn’t think he can tell him anyway. It’s too painful a memory to even think of in his own mind.

Something rolls at his feet and he stops, looking down. It’s a…potato. A potato?

Another one drops by his feet and he picks them both up, a little confused as to why potatoes are rolling around on the sidewalk. Looking up, he sees the very person he was just thinking of holding several bags. He adjusts one on his shoulder but it causes another potato to fall out.

Myungsoo swears quietly, annoyed with the bags. He hears footsteps though and glances up. It’s not the most common route from the grocery store to home but he had been craving some alone time so he took the little-used one as opposed to the usual. Not many people know of this part of the neighborhood and he is surprised that someone else is out at this time. It’s only eleven in the morning so it’s not like it’s the heat of the day.

“Hello hyung,” says Sungjong casually. Myungsoo stops in front of him, surprised. “I think you dropped these.” He lifts up two potatoes to prove his point. Myungsoo shakes off his shock and laughs.

“Yeah, those are mine,” he says. “Could you put them in this bag?” He gestures to one that’s slung over his left arm.

“How about I just help you carry them?” Sungjong offers. “I mean, you have…” he counts quickly in his head. “Four that are pretty big.”

“Oh, would you?” Myungsoo looks relieved. Then “You don’t have to, if you have something else to do.”

“No, no it’s fine hyung.” Sungjong lifts one bag off of Myungsoo’s arm and drops the potatoes inside of it. He can’t help but lift the corners of his mouth at Myungsoo’s expression.

“Now I can show you the studio, if you like,” Myungsoo tells him as they resume walking. Sungjong nods, still a little unsure how about going. What if he ruins something? What if he messes something up?

Apparently his insecurities must have shown on his face because Myungsoo nudges him with his now bag-free arm. It’s just a slight brush of the skin but he still feels tingles go down his spine at the contact.

“Don’t worry, you’ll like it,” he reassures Sungjong. Like how I’m liking you.


“You can take your jacket off,” Myungsoo tells him, pointing at the couch on the right side of the door as soon as they walk in. Sungjong shrugs off his coat, exposing his plaid button-up that’s actually ed and a graphic tee underneath.

“This is really nice,” he comments, gazing around with his mouth open a little. Myungsoo chuckles at his expression as he removes his own coat, tossing it into a chair. They had already dropped off the groceries at his apartment before swinging by here. He watches as Sungjong drifts over to his equipment and begins to inspect it. Even not knowing what any of it is or what is does, Sungjong is still fascinated by it.

“It’s so…complicated,” he breathes, leaning closer to one of the larger cameras. It’s settled on a tripod, right in front of Myungsoo’s green screen that still has the props and settings from the shoot the other day.

Realizing what he had just said, Sungjong pulls back, embarrassed. He backs away with his hands safely clasped behind his back. That way, he can’t hurt anything. Like he usually does. Myungsoo looks at him with raised eyebrow.

“What are you doing?” he asks. Sungjong blushes a little bit, lowering his eyes from Myungsoo’s face. He’s still a little anxious being around such expensive and complicated equipment. “You can look at it if you want. Touch it, even.”

“No.” Sungjong shakes his head. “That’s alright. I just don’t want to break something or anything. I mean… you seem to have it all set up and I don’t want to mess anything up…” he trails off at the disbelieving look on Myungsoo’s face.

“It’s fine, I don’t mind if you look at it. And I highly doubt you’re the one to break things.” He winks but Sungjong’s face suddenly darkens. Myungsoo’s smile disappears as well. What did I say? What have I done?

“No,” Sungjong says softly. I am. I am one to break things. I broke myself. I’m one to have things broken too. My spirit, my body, my heart. I just hope you won’t.

Feeling the tension in the air, Myungsoo shifts from one foot to the other. Then remembering something, he smiles again and changes the subject, hoping to distract Sungjong from whatever dark thoughts had taken over him. “Hey Sungjong, do you remember what I said when we first met?”

“Um…” Sungjong racks his mind. Of course he remembers their first meeting, it’s been playing through his brain ever since. Each sensation, each word, each look in their eyes he has now imprinted in his memory. But he can’t tell Myungsoo that.  And no matter how hard he thinks, he isn’t really sure what the other is talking about. “You saw me at the aquarium?”

“Think harder.” Seeing that the other boy doesn’t seem to be getting it, Myungsoo takes a few steps closer to him until he’s right in front of Sungjong. The other can feel his warm breath on his face and making his cheeks heat up. “I said you’d make a good model.”

“Oh.” Sungjong looks embarrassed again. “Well, I don’t know about that…”

“Will you let me take your picture?” asks Myungsoo abruptly. Sungjong’s eyes widen.

“What?” Why would Kim Myungsoo, the Kim Myungsoo, want to take his picture? Sure, they’re friends-well, Sungjong thinks so-but still.

At such a thought, Sungjong’s blush deepens. He hasn’t really thought of Myungsoo as anything more than a friend. Being stuck in a…relationship with Sungyeol, he hasn’t given much thought to his heart. But now it’s all opening up again.

“I would really like to,” Myungsoo continues earnestly, looking into Sungjong’s angelic face. He’s beautiful.  “You have a very nice build and your hair is very workable as it’s a nice color against many backgrounds, not to mention your figure-”

“Okay, fine,” Sungjong interrupts, becoming more bashful with every word the other says. He’s never had so many compliments at one time and it’s embarrassing him. “Just…just stop.”

“Why? Do you not like it when I compliment you?” Myungsoo inquires, curious. This young boy, this Lee Sungjong is a very strange person. Myungsoo has never met anyone like him before and he interests him. He’s not like other guys.

“Well no. No, that’s not it,” Sungjong mumbles. “It’s just…I’ve never really been told stuff like that…like that before.” He fumbles for the right words, not really knowing his true feelings himself. They’re all rolling around, confusing him so he’s not sure what he’s exactly feeling.

“Then clearly you’re not hanging around with the right people. Okay, let’s get started!” Myungsoo gestures for him to go to the green screen area and the yougner hesitantly does so. “Would you mind moving that? Thanks, it’s just leftover from yesterday.” As Sungjong pushes some of the props out of the way, Myungsoo adjusts the lighting, putting it at the average lighting.

He doesn’t need the bright lights…he’s already glowing, Myungsoo thinks to himself as he watches Sungjong. Shaking such thoughts from his head, he gently puts his larger cameras back in their cases, being especially careful with his rangefinder. He settles instead for a simple instant camera. He doesn’t use instant cameras often, even though he should, but since he usually needs his more intricate ones for shots, he leaves them for only special occasions.

“Okay, done,” announces Sungjong. Myungsoo looks up to see the set is completely prop-free. It’s very clean and empty, just perfect for the shoot his has in mind.

“Great. Now, just stand there-no, there-yes and I’ll get this set up.” He goes back to his job and settles the camera on the tripod, locking it in place.

Sungjong watches him as he gets ready. The art of photography is a delicate process, he realizes. And Myungsoo hyung does it quite well.

“Finished that.” Myungsoo raises his head, seeing Sungjong standing there awkwardly, hands in his pockets and a bashful smile still on his lips.

“What do you want me to do?” he asks, tilting his head and shifting to his other foot. Myungsoo can’t help but notice that he looks best by opening his body up to the camera instead of closing it off. It’s just a fact.

“Just be casual,” advises Myungsoo, leaning down to look through the viewfinder. “The camera will do all the work.”

“So…I just do…nothing?” Sungjong is surprised. If being a model is this easy, why hadn’t he looked into it before?

Such thoughts aside, he smiles slightly, letting his eyes wander a fraction over the camera to the top of Myungsoo’s head. A bright light flashes for a split second and Sungjong blinks, not prepared for it to be so luminous and blinding.

“That was bright,” he remarks, blinking his eyes again rapidly to get rid of the black spots that have appeared before him.

“Oh sorry. I should have warned you,” Myungsoo apologizes. He can’t help but notice that Sungjong looks cute when baffled. Pabo! What are you thinking?

“It’s fine.” Sungjong scrunches up his face and scratches the side of his neck. Once again there’s a bright flash but this time he’s a little more suited to it and it doesn’t hurt his eyes as much as the first time.

“You’re good.” Myungsoo steps out from behind his camera and comes up to Sungjong, reaching a hand out to ruffle his hair, making it look a little more windblown. Sungjong stiffens as soon as he touches him but it’s more from nervousness than anything else. He always feels this sense of nervousness that wavers, under the surface, out of sight whenever he’s with Myungsoo. “There, perfect.”

This time, Myungsoo unclips his camera from the tripod and pans around Sungjong, turning the device every which way to get different angles. Sungjong continues to stand there, becoming less and less embarrassed with every passing shot.

“I like your expression,” Myungsoo tells him, adjusting his handle on the camera.

He gives a small laugh as Myungsoo once again pays him an unexpected compliment. As soon as he does, it’s all aglow. Another flash, another white light.

“Maybe I should consider this as a career choice,” he says after a while, actually enjoying having his picture taken by Myungsoo. He had been a little hesitant at first but Myungsoo has made him feel more comfortable, especially being in the spotlight. “I mean, it’s pretty easy.”

“It’s easy for you since you’re good-looking,” Myungsoo says absently as he takes another picture from the left. He laughs at the expression on Sungjong’s face and makes Sungjong laugh too, loosening up. He looks down for a moment to try and hide his reddening cheeks but then raises his gaze again.

Opening his mouth, Sungjong starts to say something but then Myungsoo looks at him and grins and the thought flits out of his mind, rendering him speechless. Whenever he looks at him, he forgets everything he was going to say.