Three

Only One

 “I’m going out for a bit,” Sungjong calls out, pulling on his white coat. It’s a little cold outside, even though it’s only October. But since Sungjong gets cold easily, he’s bringing his coat anyway. He’s learned his lesson before to not leave it at home.

“Why?” Sungyeol asks absently, lost in the magazine he is reading at the kitchen table. Sungjong bites his lip to keep from saying a snarky comment.

Because I can, he thinks silently. Because you don’t always have to know my whereabouts every single day, every single second. Because I have a life to live that you don’t need to be involved in.

“Just because it’s nice out,” he answers instead. He pockets his key and leaves the apartment. Sungyeol shouldn’t even be there in the first place, he doesn’t even live there. But as he puts it “what’s yours is mine and what’s mine is also mine”. So he comes to Sungjong’s home when he pleases, usually at night because the atmosphere is more romantic, as he puts it.

Yeah. As if. as

He walks down the street, hands deep in his pockets. He was right. It is a little chilly outside, even with the sun still up. Its fading rays give everything a golden tint, making everything look softer around the edges.

Myungsoo is on the corner of the very same street, talking with the women who came the day before. Jung Soojung is her name and she’s very nice but a little…ditzy. That’s not necessarily a bad thing but it can’t be helped. She loves the photos and is asking him if he can do more for her. He nods absently, his attention caught by a boy walking towards them. It’s the same boy from yesterday, he realizes. Being a photographer, he has the ability to recognize faces easier than others. The one at the aquarium. I wonder where his friend is?

Excusing himself from Soojung and letting her know he’s free next week, he makes his way over to the young man who is walking slowly along the sidewalk. He’s not even sure what he’s doing but he has a feeling that he just has to. He stops in front of him, trying to get a closer look at his face. Being the photographer he is, he finds himself fascinated with average people. Sometimes, he wonders what it would be like to meet people on the streets. He wants to know about their lives and if they are happy or sad and why. People with smiles on their faces, are they really happy and people who are frowning, why are they? He watches society and thinks-is it real?

Sungjong is unaware of his surroundings, trying to block out the memories from last night. Sungyeol had been especially rough with him and it scares him. Even more than usual. Is this how it’s going to be from now on?

So preoccupied with his thoughts, he stumbles into someone and is knocked backwards. He would have fallen if the other hadn’t grabbed his hand, pulling him back.

“I’m…I’m sorry,” he mumbles, embarrassed. Looking up into the face of the other, he feels his heart stop. Then pick up its beating, doubly fast.

It’s Kim Myungsoo. The very man that had been in his mind for the past few days is now standing before him. He’s even more handsome close up.

“I-I’m sorry,” he repeats, backing up a little. But the other is still holding onto his hand so he doesn’t get very far. His breathing quickens. He doesn’t like being touched too much and is expecting the same sense of fire to crawl through his veins upon having his hand grasped. But it doesn’t come. Myungsoo’s face breaks into a small smile.

“It’s alright,” he assures the young man, trying to think how to bring up the subject of seeing him. Sungjong feels his face heat up and hopes he’s not blushing. That would make it more embarrassing. “I saw you at the aquarium yesterday.”

Okay. So Myungsoo isn’t known for subtly. 

“What?” Sungjong stares at him, eyes wide. He was there? He didn’t remember seeing him. And more importantly-he remembered seeing him? “I, um, I didn’t see…see you,” he stammers uncomfortably. Pabo! What are you saying?

“Yeah, I thought you hadn’t,” Myungsoo says thoughtfully. He releases Sungjong’s hand but sticks his own out. “I’m Kim Myungsoo.”

Sungjong stares at his hand, not sure he wants to have more physical contact. He resists the urge to say “Yes, I know, I looked you up.” Mentally clearing his head, he shakes Myungsoo’s hand tentatively. “Lee Sungjong.” Myungsoo’s grip is firm and when he lets go, Sungjong still feels the warmth of the other.

And he doesn’t mind it.

“I saw you at the exhibit the other day,” Sungjong blurts out, then wishes he hadn’t. He didn’t want to seem strange or anything. He shifts uncomfortably, waiting for Myungsoo to look at him in disgust or leave. But instead, he looks thoughtful.

“Oh yes, you were there,” he recalls. “I’m sorry, I had forgotten.” He has a bemused look on his face as Sungjong struggles for words.

“No, no it’s okay,” he mutters. “I’m sure you have a lot going on and…” he trails off, not sure what else to say. “I admire your photos. You are very talented.”

“Thank you,” Myungsoo responds, smiling widely. “Are you a photographer too?” He doesn’t know why, he but he has a strange urge to know more about young Lee Sungjong.

“Me?” Sungjong looks surprised. “N-no, I just like looking at the pictures. I’m not very good at angles and such.”

“You’d make a good model,” offers Myungsoo, chuckling to himself as Sungjong blushes faintly. He rolls his shoulders to try and ease the discomfort that Myungsoo had bestowed upon him.

No…discomfort isn’t it. It’s something better than that. He isn’t awkward around Myungsoo, in fact he’s quite content to be with him. It’s just the sudden flattery is unexpected. He had never been one for compliments and to get one from a stranger is so unusual.

“Do you want to come by the studio sometime?” asks Myungsoo. “It’s a really very fascinating place. I think you would enjoy it.”

“Um, sure,” Sungjong answers, surprised by the abruptness of it. He tilts his head at the sudden offer. “I would like that very much.”

“So maybe, like, one-thirty tomorrow?” Myungsoo suggests. Sungjong shrugs but then remembers.

“I don’t want to take up any of your time,” he tells Myungsoo, sighing. “I don’t want to be a bother.”

“It’s fine.” Myungsoo waves away his worries. “You’re not a bother. You look like you need to be protected.” He smirks as Sungjong shifts to his other foot awkwardly. “I look forward to it, Sungjong.”

“Is it really okay?” Sungjong blurts out shakily as Myungsoo turns. The older man looks back at him, silhouetted by the golden sunlight. It is the evening time, where things are slowly getting ready for the new day ahead of them and not knowing some of the most remarkable things happen during the time when they’re focused on something else.

“Only if you call me hyung,” he quietly insists. Sungjongreluctantly gives his consent as Myungsoo laughs lightly. Giving him one more smile, he takes his leave.

Sungjong stares after him with thoughts swirling.


A/N: So they've finally met! What do you think will happen next? Thanks to everyone who has subscribed and commented, I really appreciate every single one of you-and to all those silent readers as well, because I'm usually one as well. :) I hope everyone's enjoying it so far. Let me know!