Four

Only One

“Where are you going?” Sungyeol asks, leaning across the table. Sungjong settles back in his chair, trying to be as far away from the other as possible.

“I have an appointment,” he answers shortly, not wanting to divulge any more information than necessary. He glances at his watch once again, seeing it’s already one-ten. “I really need to go.”

Sungyeol looks around the crowded café they are in and knows he can’t cause a scene now. Too many people would see. It’s better for locked doors and dark windows and whispers in the dead of night. He leans closer to Sungjong however and grabs his hand, forcing him to be nearer to Sungyeol.

“Don’t take too long,” he warns. Sungjong feels his hot breath on his face and flinches slightly, retreating into himself. That’s the only place he has left to anyway. If they were alone, he knows it would be much worse so he he’s thankful they’re out in public.

He shrinks away from Sungyeol, pulling his shoulders in closer to himself to make himself smaller. He knows what Sungyeol wants to do and he lowers his eyes, knowing he doesn’t have enough courage to look at him. Feeling Sungyeol coming closer, he closes his eyes, not wanting to see the look in the other’s, knowing what his face holds anyway. Sungyeol releases his hand and Sungjong immediately pulls back and gets up from the table.

He doesn’t say anything as he leaves, knowing nothing he will say will dissuade Sungyeol’s suspicions.

How had their relationship turned so toxic? How had they gone to being best friends to… to this? Sungjong is now scared of him, afraid of what he can do, what he will do, and what he does.

He misses the way things used to be.


“I’m sorry, I forgot that the studio was closed today until five,” Myungsoo apologizes as they enter the park’s gate. Sungjong shrugs, secretly glad that it is closed. He’s sure he would mess something up or knock something over or ruin something, making Myungsoo angry with him.

“It’s okay,” he answers honestly.  “I don’t mind.”

“It’s good I always carry a spare,” Myungsoo tells him, pulling a rather large camera out of his bag. It looks more complicated then the simple digital ones Sungjong uses and he can’t help but be in awe over the older man’s knowledge of such devices. “Why don’t you entertain yourself? I’m just going to take a couple of pictures to make sure I don’t lose my touch.”

“That’s highly doubtful,” Sungjong says, then shoves his hands deeper into his pockets. Myungsoo smiles at the unexpected compliment. “But okay.” Leaving the other to adjust his camera to the setting of his choice, he wanders over to the kid’s playground. There aren’t many kids on the swings; they’re more populated around the jungle gym and the like.

It’s been so long since he’s felt as carefree as they are now. Even though he’s only twenty, he feels a hundred years old, having seen things that were are meant to be seen when he’s older. Since he’s gone through so much, he feels so much older then he really is. He misses his childhood. He misses laughing at nothing and smiling until his face hurt. He misses when he could be friends with everybody. He misses a lot of things actually.

Too bad he can’t get them back.

He settles himself on one of the swings, gripping the chains tightly with both hands. He starts to push back and forth, using his legs to propel him slightly higher and higher every time.

Myungsoo follows some little kids playing with his camera, not moving from his spot. As they run by him, he pans the camera, catching some of them in motion. As good of subjects as they are, he finds his attention drifting back to his young companion.

Sungjong is on the swing set, looking lost in thought and a little dejected as he glides back and forth through the air. The wind causes his dark hair to swirl around his face and his white coat to flap a little around his thin body.

He comes closer to Sungjong, positioning his camera so it captures the dreamy look in Sungjong’s eyes and on his face. He tugs his jacket tighter around his own body to battle the dry chill that has crept up on him, then zooms in once again on Sungjong. This boy is an angel.

Almost as if noticing the lenses are on him, Sungjong lasers his gaze in on Myungsoo. The older man smiles behind his camera and continues to take photos of Sungjong.

Although he’s a little self-conscious, Sungjong doesn’t say anything, knowing it will just disappoint Myungsoo in the long run if he disagrees with it.

Besides, he secretly likes the attention. No one had ever paid him that much attention before, especially not someone as influential as Myungsoo and it makes him feel…special.


A/N: For the record, I don't hate Sungyeol at all but this story did need a villian type and I thought he would be the best. Thanks so much to everyone who has commented and subscribed, I really do appreciate it a ton.

And for reader Lovemyungjong, I can't promise anything but I wouldn't worry too much. :)

Thanks as well to AdrianaKissMe for commenting on every chapter, that's so sweet of you.