|1|

The Loneliness of an Outcast
Please log in to read the full chapter

It was hard living when you could see the dead. Spirits walking around aimlessly during the day and walking through people, giving them a spine chilling sensation throughout their whole body. It was hard living when you could see people's auras. It was especially hard to live when you could tell when a person was going to die, the colour of their aura fading yet they would still be smiling and laughing, not knowing of what would happen to them. This was what Luhan could see. Luhan, twenty-four years old, short light brown hair, 178 cm in height and has emerald green, doe-like eyes.

He has had this curse since he was born and when his parents had first seen him, they were confused and disgusted by their own son. They immediately told the doctors that they couldn't take him and so he was sent to an orphanage instead. He was raised by the kindhearted woman who ran the orphanage, but was teased by the other kids who also lived there. Ever since he was little, he had a problem with his self-esteem and anxiety. He was able to grow up healthily and quietly, but then at some point whilst he was living in the orphanage, the woman had left to go to the hospital. Luhan saw the state that her aura was in, but he didn't understand what it meant, only that it was a very sad moment and he cried as the woman left to go to the hospital. Later, he would then find out what that aura meant - death. As he grew older, his abilities only grew stronger. He was able to see spirits by then and could read people's auras with much ease and precision. It was only when he went to go outside to the nearby park that he realised how strange his eyes were. He would get scared glances from strangers, hear gasps before the soft sound of whispers, and even be slapped as he was called an alien who didn't belong.

When he was old enough and had saved enough money, he went and bought brown colour contacts so that he could at least go outside. There was however still one problem - he was still able to see spirits and auras as bright as day. So later on when he had found a decent job, he bought contacts that would blur his vision just enough so that he would be able to see the things around him, but the spirits and auras would be much less noticeable.

Up to the present day, he hasn't been able to overcome the problem of constantly bumping into others, so he decided that whether he liked or not, he would only go out when necessary - as in for work, or grocery shopping as such - and if he really wanted to escape from his so called safe haven, then he would go to the park and sit under a tree as he took in the fresh air around him. The one place he avoided though was the library. It was a place full of roaming spirits of past librarians or even sometimes the odd author here and there. It was also a place where many young and old people visited which meant there would be an overload of auras in one place. Luhan had tried going there once before only to get a headache from all the energy inside.

 

He had gone out to the park that day after being cooped up at home for almost a week. He didn't realise that he had fallen asleep under the tree until someone began to shake him. When Luhan opened his eyes, he saw a young man with sharp and handsome facial features, blonde hair and when the young man stood up he was quite tall. Luhan shook his head and sat up straight before looking passed the young man and to the sky. It was almost sunset with the sky changing from an azure blue to a very warm ochre, pink colour. He got up as soon as he realised the time, "Th-thank you for waking me up!" he exclaimed before running off.

Luhan didn't like the day time because the sun would reflect off of his eyes and show some of the green under the contacts, but the night time wasn't any better because the streetlights and headlights on vehicles illuminated his emerald eyes just as well as the sun did in the day. He got home as fast as he could without tripping and locked the door behind him.

Luhan knew that the face of the young man had sharp features, but the contacts made his face somewhat blurry as if a mosaic was placed in front of it. The young man seemed quite handsome and stood out thanks to his blonde hair. Luhan went into the bathroom to take off his contacts and when he did, he felt a sense of relief, but then he asked himself, "Why am I thinking about him so much?"

He brushed the thought off and washed his face before he went into the kitchen and began preparing his dinner - which was most likely going to be his breakfast too. When he had finished eating dinner and had cleaned everything up, he took this chance to have a

Please log in to read the full chapter