05 The One Who Holds The Reins

Game Over
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Wu Jina

 

"That's all for today." The professor says. 

All the students begin collecting their belongings and leaving the class one by one. I sit in my chair, slipping my own belongings into my bag. 

I'm guessing the other students all saw the news, because during the whole class, everyone kept glancing back at me. Even heard a girl muttering about how she never imagined that I was the type to get drunk like that. I even heard vulgar comments, people calling me a and what not. 

I shut my eyes tightly and heave a long sigh.  

"Don't think about it too much." I hear Hyeri say. I open my eyes and scan the classroom and realize that we're the only two left in the classroom. I turn to Hyeri and nod with a weak smile, picking up my bag as I get up from my seat. 

 

It's been about two days, and Luhan hasn't tried to contact me, which I'm actually really happy about.

 

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but maybe, just maybe, if we don't do anything, everyone will forget about, well, everything. And this whole marriage sham will be forgotten. 

 

But the world doesn't work that way.

 

I walk out of the parking lot and make my way up to Hyeri's car (A pretty nice one, I might add.)

"You can't let them get to you, Jina." Hyeri says, walking over to the driver's side and inserting the key into the car. She twists the key and the doors clianick in response. I open the door and slip into the passenger's seat, throwing my bag in the back. I fumble with my seatbelt while Hyeri settles into her seat, adjusting all the mirrors. She starts the car and begins to drive out of the school campus.

"I know, but I really can't stand the fact that I had no say in any of this." I say, watching the buildings as they seemingly slide by in my vision. The car falls into silence, but I'm not mad at Hyeri for not saying anything. She knows me well enough to know that I don't really want to talk about the matter anymore. Plus, what else would you say in this situation? 

 

-Beep-

 

"Was that mine?" Hyeri asks, keeping her eyes on the road as she makes a turn at an intersection. 

"No, it's me." I say, reaching over and pulling my bag from the backseat. I fish out my phone and take it out. I see a new message from an unknown number. I get a bad feeling in my gut even before I open it, and I realize that my hunch is right when I open the text.

 

"Meet me at the cafe across from Lu Corp in ten minutes.  

 

I let out an agonizing groan and facepalm myself. 

Hyeri chuckles. "Looks like your husband-to-be finally decided to contact you." She says with a grin, knowing full well it would anger me. 


It does indeed.

 

"Can you drop me off somewhere?" I ask. Hyeri nods, and makes a dauntless u-turn effortlessly, and drives in the opposite direction of my neighborhood. Hyeri was always an amazing driver. 

Well, she was amazing at everything except following the speed limit.

"Where to?" She asks, stopping at a red light. She puts the car into park and leans back into her chair, drumming her fingers on the steering wheel, rhythmically in sync with the song that was playing on the radio. I look back at the text message and think of the area the Lu Corp building is located in. It's an area I know well, and after digging through my memory, I remember that there was only one cafe near Lu Corp. 

"You know that cafe we were obsessed with when we were in high school?" I ask, making drastic motions with my hands. Hyeri chews on her lower lip, as if in thought, before her eyes light up.

"Yeah, I remember. It's like right in front of Lu Corp, isn't it?" She asks, putting the car back into drive as the light changes from red to yellow. 

I nod. "That one."

Hyeri makes several turns here and there before catching a red light about a block away from the cafe. She puts the car into park again and leans back into her chair. 

"But what about Lay? What are you gonna do about you and Lay?" She asks.

I look down at the phone in my hands. "It's not like he's my boyfriend or anything like that." 

"But seriously, isn't that considered cheating, Jina?" Hyeri asks. She pulls over in front of the cafe and we both turn our heads to look at the building. Well, she's looking at a cafe, I'm looking at a building with the end of my life in it.

I frown. "I'm not in a real relationship with Luhan. Plus, I met Yixing first." I say, rather pointedly before opening the door and stepping out. I sling my bag over my shoulder and slip my phone into the pocket of my jeans. 

"Do you want m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter