Mutual Understanding

Break Up

 

Shoko’s POV

Ok. This is awkward.

I peered up from my plate of pancakes to see my boss staring blankly into space, mechanically putting chunk after chunk of pancakes in his mouth, chewing it oh-so-excruciatingly slowly.

I lowered my eyes and stabbed a piece of honey-soaked pancake with my fork.

Awkward…

 “How’s it, Seunghyun-ssi?”

“Wha-what?”

“The pancakes. How are the pancakes?”

“Pan-pancakes? Uh-“ He stared at his half-eaten pancake, “Erhm, yeah, they’re fine.”

“You?”

“Wha-what? Me what?”

“Are you fine?”

“Wha- of course I’m fine! I’m the boss, why wouldn’t I not be fine?” He made a loud cough and straightened his shirt, “I’m fine. Everything’s good.”

Silence.

“Seunghyun-ssi, there’s something I have to tell you.”

“Shoko-ssi, we need to talk.”

I didn’t even realize we said our lines at the same time until the awkward silence started to seriously sting my ears.

Choi Seunghyun’s POV

I swallowed my saliva and drummed my fingers on the armrest. This is ridiculous. Seriously, what type of boss chats with his employee about the weird feelings that a song has been making him feel? But, this had been going on like FOREVER ever since he laid eyes on that song, and I want it to stop now. And, I NEED to find out what exactly it is about this song that made me remember. Not that I had forgotten but all those painful memories had  been stored at the back of my brain, squeezed as far behind as possible and now all these were suddenly rushing back into my head like a bolt of lightning. To say it was overwhelming was an understatement. It was painful. Like knives repeatedly stabbing themselves into my heart. Like chains ruthlessly tightening themselves around my neck, squeezing tighter and tighter, mercilessly forcing the air out of my lungs till I could no longer breathe.

“It’s about the song, Shoko-ssi,” I started before Shoko raised her hand.

I raised an eyebrow.

“Excuse me, but I would like to say something first.

Last night, you had a dream, didn’t you?

I didn’t mean to eavesdrop or anything, but you pulled me in and started to say….things.

And from what I gather, it was probably something sad.

Like a breakup? A relationship gone sour? An unrequited love?

That I’m not exactly sure.

But, I do know, it’s about a certain Noona.

And I thought I’d better let you know that I know about this Noona.

And also to let you know that I understand how you feel.”

She said all this in one breath and her usually cold brown eyes were surprisingly warm and sincere as she stared into my eyes, her voice thick with genuine concern and empathy.

I felt an indescribable lump grow in my throat. So she knows?

“Anyway, I’m done with what I want to say, so please continue.”

My voice was quivering with unspoken emotions as I said, “Actually, I wanted to ask you why that song of yours have been bringing those memories back to me.”

Third Person’s POV

Shoko studied Seunghyun quietly.

“Ah..It’s ok if you don’t want to tell me.”

“Ani, I will.” She calmly placed her hands together before slightly leaning her elbows on the table.

“I wrote that song, based on memories of my boyfriend. Or ex-boyfriend.”

Seunghyun raised an eyebrow, clearly surprised my her straightforwardness.

“Let’s be honest alright?” She smiled faintly, looking at Seunghyun’s disbelieving face.

“There’s nothing to hide. We’ve been hurt. We’ve got loads of bad memories all crushed in our minds. I’m not going to lie, yes, this song is the product of my broken heart.”

Her strong facade was beginning to disappear bit by bit as she bit down hard on her lip and tried to maintain her composure.

“With whom?”Seunghyun asked gently, his voice barely louder than a whisper.

“Does it really matter?”

“Well, not really.”

“Then don’t ask for it, “ Shoko’s words came out a bit too harsh than she had intended it to be as she took a sharp intake of breath.

“Mine was with a Noona,” Seunghyun murmured, not caring whether anyone was actually listening. He just had to get it off his chest after bottling it inside for so long. He HAD to.

“She was the head songwriter in the company I was working for. I was a singer last time you know, ha,” He let out a cold laugh, “Told me she loved me. Then I found her with another man. She said I was wimpy. A kid. She was using me. Ha- but guess what? The stupid me still yearns for her now, even after what she did. Ha- stupid right? I don’t know why either.”

He buried his head in his hands.

“Stupid stupid stupid me.” He repeated countlessly.

He stiffened as he felt a warm hand gently, though hesitantly, patting his back.

“At least you got it off from your mind.” He looked up to see Shoko with her brows furrowed in concern, eyes boring deep into his.

“Then, what about you?” He asked as Shoko withdrew her hand and placed them awkwardly at her sides as she looked down at the floor.

“Me?” Shoko’s vision was getting slightly blurred by her hot tears uncontrollably welling in her already red-rimmed eyes. “I don’t want to get everything off my mind, Seunghyun-ssi. I’m afraid that I’ll forget him if I do so.”

Seunghyun’s heart got a stab of sympathy, but yet he felt great admiration of the young female that brought herself to look steadily into his eyes again, her lip quivering ever so slightly.

“The ‘he’ is?”

“Then, who is Noona?”

Their eyes locked again until Shoko looked away.

“I’m not going to say, so don’t bother.”

“And I’m not going to press on further, so don’t worry.”

Silence.

Seunghyun cleared his throat to say something but his phone started to ring.

He answered the call and it wasn’t long before his eyebrows knitted with worry.

“Neh, I understand. Neh, we will be there asap.”

He hung the phone and looked at Shoko.

“The date for the recording has been pushed forward. They want us to be there now.”

Shoko’s mouth formed an ‘O’ instantaneously. Wasn’t the recording supposed to be next week? Why the sudden change? Crazy pompous producers that think they can do whatever they want without any prior notice. She let out a snort of frustration. Great, now she had to hurry and rush.

“Hurry go and wash up, they want us to be there by 11.30 am.”

Shoko glanced at the clock. 10.30 AM. Great.

Seunghyun gave a small push to the toilet and Shoko was about to whirl around to glare at him. "So much for the mutual understanding I thought we’d have," she muttered under her breath.

Shoko was certainly surprised when she turned around only to have her nose buried in a nice-smelling towel.

“Hurry,” Seunghyun passed her her towel, “I’m going home to take a bath. I’ll be back at 11 AM sharp so be ready at the bottom of your apartment.”

“Y-you’re sending me there?” Shoko asked in disbelief, shocked by his 180 degrees change in personality.

“Least I could do, for someone who mutually understands me,” He replied simply before walking off, leaving Shoko staring after him, dumbstruck.

“Mutual understanding…”She mused, leaning on the door of the toilet.

“…With my boss…?!” Her face immediately contorted to one of disgust.

EWEWEWEW. She muttered under her breath as she walked into the shower.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HEYHEYHEY! :DDD

I only have one more test to go! Heheheh >V<

Anyhoos, here's an update for y'all!

Kekeke, sorry if this o A o

BUT, Shoko is going to meet Kikwang FINALLY. *spolier alert* :P

Im so sorry if this story is getting boring. *bows*

AND I LOVE ALL OF Y'ALL SUBSCRIBERS! <333

Thank you for commenting and reading! Really makes my day and motivates me to continue this ish story. 

Kekeke.

Ooops, I talk too much, do I? XP

Thank youuuuuuu~

I promise I'll update more regularly after this week when all my tests are over! ^O^