Chapter 8

Love Happens... Beyond Monday

“How’s my girl today?” His voice is always cheerful when he calls. “Missing your voice because you didn’t call me yesterday.” His knee suddenly weak and he was hanging on to the back of the sofa walking towards his living room. “Oh my God! What are you doing?? I almost tripped!” She can already imagine him tripping and laughed. “Are you seated oppa?”
He took a seat on his sofa. “I am now. why?”“I’m afraid you might trip if I say I miss your voice again” He let out a deep breath on the other end of the line. “Why are you doing this to me??!” He can’t take her fooling him like that. She knows his weakness. “Why oppa??” she pretended not to understand his question. “I just said I miss your voice. I didn’t say I miss you…” Now he gets it! He thought he was going to get a heart attack from Jihyo’s sudden confession.
“Why didn’t you call me yesterday?” He wanted to call her so bad the day before but after 2 months of him making the call every single day for their phone dates, he wanted to miss a day and see if she would call. “Just thought I’d skip a day and see if you would call me instead”
“I thought you were busy… you didn’t even text” She was sulking.  Gary heard the change of tone in her voice. “So you have been waiting all day?” his voice changed to the deep romantic voice. Her weakness. “Not really… I decided to hang out with Joongki. It was fun” That was an intentional provocation on her part. “Ayyy~~ I guess Joongki made better progress than me” he sighed. “You’re already going out with him and I’m still on phone date after 2 months.” She didn’t respond to that to hear him speak more. She misses all the different tones of his voice. “So what did you do today?” his tone changed to his normal tone, trying to make conversation because he didn’t want to hang up just yet. “Nothing much.  I think I want to go out for a movie date later” His heart dropped. She hear him let out a deep breath and smiled. “So what are you doing tonight?” she asked.
“Nothing… Maybe I’ll go hangout with Donghoon” That tone suggested he’s not in the mood to talk or do anything. “Don’t you want to go on a movie date with me??” She sounded cheeky and he smiled with comprehension. “Are you kidding me?? Of course I want to! I thought you had planned on going with someone else.”
“But Oppa… we’ll have to disguise.  Would you be okay with it?”  She is worried that Gary would not want to put a mask on to cover his face.  She knows he doesn’t like being pretentious. He is a very honest man. “I have never tried before… But since it’s winter, everybody wears mask anyway.” He is just happy to go on a real date with her. “Okay then… You come park your car at my house and we’ll go in my car. Too many people know your car.” He is impressed at how she had thought of all that.  It just means she put a lot of thought in it. He happily agreed to all the details of her plan.  She even bought tickets online while talking to him.
She went out to his car waiting outside her apartment in the cold weather. She passed him the access card and he drove into the apartment. She guided him around the basement carpark to park his car next to hers. And changed cars. He went in the driver’s seat and held out small bouquet to her.  She was surprised with the flowers. “This feels like a real date.” She took it and inhaled the fresh scent.
….
It was a Saturday night. Although they went to the least crowded cinema, the crowd was big. It is winter.  Many had masks on. It is the best time to go in disguise.  They act like normal people would. He bought food and drinks while she waited. She bought seats on the farthest end of the cinema lest somebody recognizes them. Fortunately the cinema was not full and the seats around them were empty. “It’s dark now.  We can take off the masks.  People will be suspicious if we have them on.” He whispered.
20 minutes through the movie, he turned to her to whisper “Can I please hold your hand?” She smiled at his question. Most men would never ask. He did. She took his hand and brought it to her side. “Is this ok?” The grin on his face answered her question.
They silently went out of the cinema with their masks on.  This time he naturally held her hand crossing the road to their car. She felt safe.

“Hold on oppa,” she pulled him before they reached the car. She took out her phone and pulled him close for a selfie with the cinema in the background. “I like to keep pictures to remind me” she explained. He is grinning the happy grin again. She wanted to remember the date. “Does this means I can pass for a second date?”  She nodded and got in the car.
“Are you hungry, oppa? We haven’t had dinner…”oh no.. I’m so sorry I forgot we haven’t had real food” He looked at his watch. It was already 10pm. She knows most restaurants would be closed. “Can we just buy some street food and eat in the car?” He was going to ask if she would mind eating street food since it’s the only thing opened late at night. She read his mind.
They walked along the long line of stalls, her hand automatically held his. If it weren’t for the cold weather they would have walked slowly and enjoyed being normal.  They got in the car and ate right away.  Even when she has full of food, she is pretty. “Oppa why are you staring at me and not eating?” She fed him a piece of the fishcake. “Ahh!!! It’s hot!” He was blowing it inside his mouth. She was sorry but couldn’t help laughing at him. “Sorry oppa,” She took a tissue and wiped his mouth. “OK, just feed me all the hot stuff all night… be sure to wipe my mouth after each piece” He is back to being his cheeky self. She pushed his face and he slammed his head to the window trying to exaggerate the effect of her soft push. She laughed out loud when he was rubbing off the pain in his head. “Served you right!”
….
“This is the best first date ever!” She announced when they reached the basement carpark. She got down of her car.  Gary passed the flower bouquet and food for her to continue eating at home. “Thank you for asking me out” Gary felt awkward saying that. She asked him out. “It’s hard for people like us to go on public dates. We probably can’t do this often”
“I guess we just have to be creative.” She suggested positively. “We can just date while we are filming.  Besides that would improve our loveline”
“One thing worries me…” he put on his serious face. “What if you can take your hands off me? I think you’re falling for me” That was said with so much confidence she burst out laughing. When she calmed down she said “we’ll see when we get to that stage…” He was once again captivated by her beauty. She snapped her fingers in front of his face to bring him back to earth. “Oh sorry.. you’re so beautiful I drowned.”
She wonders if it is even possible to not fall for a guy with such sense of humor and cheesiness. She pushed him to his car. “Go home… it’s already late”
“I think I better go… looking at you, I know you feel like dragging me up to your house right now” He didn’t see that. He was joking with her. She pushed him to sit in his car and shut the door. He screened down his window and took hold of her hand. “Dream of me tonight…” He kissed her hand goodbye and drove off before she could respond.
….
Two days later the met up at the ski resort up on the mountain. They started off right away in front of the bath house. Jihyo as usual stood near Joongki and Kwangsoo whom she’s close with. Gary on the other end kept looking at her. He is falling for her deeper the more he sees her. Joongki was shivering next to her. She being the caring friend shared her long scarf and saw Gary’s expression changed.  She thought it inappropriate to pull the scarf back. “He is cold” she explained to him. “My heart is cold” He didn’t want to spoil the mood, he joked about it.  But Jaesuk saw what Gary really felt. It was jealousy. Jaesuk knew right then, it was too late. Gary is already in love with the girl.
Inside the bath house, while filming, Gary saw her standing with Joongki and Kwangsoo and went up to them. “Jihyo, let’s do a scene together.”  PDs had instructed him, jihyo and Joongki to make up sweet scenes to support their loveliness whenever they feel find possible during filming. They were given freedom to do as they wished. “Ok,” she went to him. He cupped her ear to whisper “Let’s have our second date.. a secret date” She remembered telling him to be creative. She didn’t expect to have a second date two days after the first one.  But she gladly agreed. And moved her hand towards his and walked around the bath house in search of the guest. After 20minutes she pulled him close, grabbed both their microphones to prevent from having their conversation recorded. “I think we should split now.. they will get suspicious.”
That was a short date but he was still happy she went along with his plan.  They got to be on the same team afterwards. And Jihyo decided to make up for the short date and be extra sweet. Agreeing to whatever he does.  He was happy the date didn’t end just yet. The sauna karaoke session was more like a secret date.  Jihyo was happily dancing. He danced happily too.  They’re in a team, they don’t need to find excuses to be next to each other.
After the filming ended, she signalled to him she wanted a selfie.  He found her cute and normal like any other girls. Always taking pictures.  She took some with a few of them at a time.  She couldn’t get Gary alone as Kwangsoo would always be there.  It looked like Kwangsoo is also obsessed with her man. He hangs around him a lot that it was starting to get on her nerve. Gary noticed that she got annoyed because she couldn’t get him to herself for a selfie.
He took out his phone went to her, put his arm around her shoulder and pulled her close for the selfie. “Smile! Quick, before Kwangsoo comes” She was laughing into the camera while he smile so peacefully. “Happy now?” She nodded happily. Kwangsoo came right after. True enough, he clings to Gary.  “Kwangsoo come here… let’s have the three of us together”.  
While he was getting ready to take the selfie he saw Jihyo’s hand moving behind him towards Kwangsoo. She was annoyed. He waited a while longer to get the best picture. Right at the moment she pulled Kwangsoo’s hair from behind, he was laughing and continuously taking pictures.
He turned and pulled Jihyo away from Kwangsoo. “Calm down,” he spoke softly to her. “Kwangsoo, just go away for a while.  I’ll come to you later.” He was clueless as to why she was so annoyed.
He her back to calm her “You’re too obvious… Calm down okay.  I’ll go explain to him.” She nodded. “You were so happy just a while ago… Don’t tell me you’re jealous of Kwangsoo?” He laughed but she realized she was jealous. “Oh my God! You are??” He laughed even harder.
“You go change and go home.  Kwangsoo’s going home with me. But I promise I won’t let him kiss me” He never failed to make her laugh. “I’ll call you later ok. Now go home.”
Jaesuk saw what was happening. He realized Gary wasn’t the only one falling. He is convinced that Jihyo is falling even deeper than Gary. He didn’t think it would turn out good for both of them.  Knowing them he knows at some point they are going to have it bad. “This will not last long” he thought.