Chapter 17

Love Happens... Beyond Monday

It’s been 10 days and he had only received 3 short replies from Jihyo. He can no longer convince himself that she’s busy. Something is wrong.

Jihyo kept herself busy with work.  She was still upset but since Gary is not saying anything about it, she decided to just watch and see how things will go. However, she can’t lie to herself and pretend to be the sweet and caring girlfriend when she had yet to settle her doubts. She tried to take it as a girl flirting with him but she was disturbed by the fact that Gary wasn’t honest to her.

After the shoot ended for the day she walked back to her room, her mind thinking of him. Part of her is missing him and part of her still hurting because he lied to her. She was tired, she just wanted him near to comfort her. She didn’t need answers now. She needed him.

She walked through the door and smelled food. Packs of food were on the small table in front of the bed. Gary walked out of her bathroom to each other’s surprise.

“You’re back!” He went and took her in a long tight hug. She hesitated at first but felt the comfort. She told herself she’d give in for now.  She hugged him tight. “I am exhausted”

She brought her to sit at the small table and proceeded to open up the food packs. “You eat these first while it’s hot.” Both of them dug in and finished up the food. She forgot she was upset with him when he was so attentive and crack jokes while they were eating.

“I don’t want to leave. Can I spend the night here. I promise I’ll leave when you start your work.” She looked at him and thought he shouldn’t be driving back so late and he must be tired from driving all the way to her. “I promise I won’t do anything. I’ll just sleep beside you…” He looked serious with his promise. It made her smile. “OK, OK… you can stay.”

She laughed when he went straight to the bed to lie down. His hand gesturing for her to go to him. She went to him and lay by his side, her head on his chest. “I’m sleepy. Let’s just sleep.”

“Can I please have a kiss before you sleep? I’ve been missing you for so long and..” before he could finish, she shut him up by sealing her lips to his. She got lost in that kiss. She missed him. She decided she’d put talking about the photos on hold.

 Gary realized he had been thinking too much. He came to make sure they’re ok. Jihyo seemed normal, just tired. He went back happy.

She distant herself from him more after receiving other photos of him partying. It was not on one occasion. He seemed to be partying quite often.  She made herself busy and even if she’s free she told him she had work. She didn’t go to his place anymore. She wanted to get used to not having him around. It hurt to miss him but she knew she had to be strong for herself because from the pictures, it doesn’t seem that Gary is committed to her as she is to him.

He trusted her and believed she was busy. He thought it is better to give her the space with the stress she had been receiving from her company. He tried hard to ignore his feelings although he missed her miserably. He decided to take whatever she can give. However, he did post his rants on twitter. He can’t tell his friends. He needed to get it out. The tweeting did help. He is used to expressing himself as an artist. That is who he is. He shared things with the world although in vague words.

It’s been 2 months and Gary could not hold it in any longer. He went to her house and waited in his car. “I am in front of your house. I’ll wait here until you come back from work. Come to me please.” He texted her. An hour later she was knocking on his window, she smiled a tired smile.

She went in and he drove off as he held her hand in his. “Where are you taking me?” She asked softly leaning her head sideways to look at him. She finally realized she’s been missing him so much. Suddenly, her heart is full of love for the man. There is something about this man that makes her forget everything so she can just be with him and feel happy just to have his affection.  She’s back to the soft caring girlfriend with him. She went back to his home since they have filming together the next day. Again, Gary was convinced nothing was wrong and they’re just busy with work.

However, Gary got confused when they’re not together she seemed very distant and he got emotional.  He knows Jihyo is a very private person and she doesn’t talk much. She normally kept quiet if she’s upset and he would know. But every time he met her, she acts normal.  A few weeks in, and he started to think that Jihyo is not being honest with him.

Jihyo finally can distant herself from him with time. She had taken a long time to get used to it. She wanted him to explain to her or to at least tell her of his partying without her asking. She had always created opportunities for him to confess and speak of it but he never got the hint or he was ignoring it.

“Jihyo… honestly, is there something bothering you? Are we okay?”

“Why did you ask that?” She didn’t want to give in because she knows she’ll break down if they started fighting.

“Oh.. nothing… you seemed to space out a lot lately.” He wanted so much for her to talk it out.  But he didn’t know how to start. They never really had to talk things out before. Normally it’s just her being jealous when he gets too friendly with the female guests on the show and he’d take care of it instantly. Or he’d be upset for her lack of time for him and they talked it out and

“I’m just tired.” She was avoiding it. She didn’t know how to face it if they were to talk about it. She wasn’t sure she is capable of losing him. She just wasn’t ready to not have him yet. She wants to get used to it so the heartbreak isn’t that bad for her. She knows Gary will not hurt as much as her.  He dumped his last girlfriend for her. He could have done it to her too so she assumed he gets over things quite easily.

It dragged on for a few more weeks when he decided to confront her and talk it out..

“Ya! Tell me what’s wrong!” He just can’t stand it anymore and he raised his voice. She was quiet. She wanted to ignore him. He pulled her by her wrist to sit on the couch in his living room. He sat on the coffee table in front of her.

“I am so upset right now… you better tell me what’s bothering you. I don’t know where we’re heading right now. Stop making me confused! Are you still in this relationship??” She looked up at him. Staring at his face trying to put her words together in her mind.

She finally let out a deep breath and spoke. “Oppa… Remember the photo I sent you of the girl you sent home after clubbing? I had a few more pictures of you with her in the club…”

“That was months ago! Why are you bringing that up?” He was stunned. It meant she had been keeping it in for so long.

“I tried to ignore it but then I got more photos of you partying with other girls. I loved you so much and ignored it. I didn’t want to lose you. But you’re hurting me more each day!” She raised her voice out of her frustration.

He calmed down. He saw her hurt. He reached out to hold her face in his hands. “Why didn’t you tell me about this? Those girls meant nothing. It’s just at the club, nothing more. You’re my only woman.” He tried to convince her.

She was shaking her head. “Why did you have to go to them. You have me!”

“You’re always busy with work, I am a man, I need attention. Those women kept me company so I don’t miss  you so much”

“That’s all you have to say? They keep you company?? If I am so important to you, you would have thought about how I would feel if I get to know of it. But you didn’t! I have been trying to ignore it and hoping you’d change. It’s been months and nothing had changed.” She was already crying.

“But I love you..” Gary was out of other words. He can’t explain his actions further. What he did was wrong, finding comfort in other women’s company.

“For someone who write beautiful lyrics about love, you can’t say much. And what are you doing with your life now? You are not working hard on your music as you used to. Are you getting lost in the newfound fame? Where are you heading? I don’t see that passionate man anymore. Who are you now?? I don’t think I know you anymore” She got it out and waited for him to respond. 

He did not expect her words and was speechless. He can’t defend himself. He realized she spoke the truth of him. He was so into her that everything he did was because of her and he wasn’t focusing on getting work done much, he was losing it. He bent his head and his hands clenching his hair.

“I think we should give ourselves time and space…”

“You want to break up??” He looked her in the eyes.

“No I am not saying we break up… I think we need time off. To think things over and set our priorities. I think you need the time too” She reached out to hold his hand. She didn’t want to make it bitter for any of them. “Please…” She added to comfort him. “I think we need this. We need to sort this mess before it gets worse. If you’re serious with me, you’d have our future planned ahead.”

He just nodded his head. He didn’t know how he felt at that moment.  He wanted to be angry with her for suggesting it. He wanted to tell her it’s his life and he can live whichever way he wants. He decided to not tell her that. He wanted her still. He can’t imagine losing her.

“OK… Can you please send me home now?” He nodded and stood up. “Let’s go”

The drive was quiet with each of them in their own thoughts. Before she got off, he held on to her hand.

“Can I please have one last kiss? To convince me we still have a chance?” She teared up when she kissed him. The kiss was filled with hope. “I love you oppa… but we have to do this… let’s be friends for a while, OK?” she was smiling at him, her hand still on his cheek.

“This is not goodbye right?” He was sad.

“No, we’ll be seeing each other every week for filming. We’ll always be around each other. Let’s give it a try please.”

“I am agreeing to this because of you… It’s really hard. But I want you… I’ll do it.” He finally smiled.

They parted in peace.

 

While they were in the car, someone was capturing their moments together.

“Boss, I finally got what you want” The man hiding in a car nearby texted his boss when Gary drove off.