Chapter 19

Love Happens... Beyond Monday

She didn’t know how to tell Gary. She didn’t know how to deal with him… or her feelings. The 3-day getaway was not enough to plan for it.  It was only to calm herself and to accept the reality of what’s happening. She came into the industry assuming the risks.  She knew this can happen to her… Although she did all she can to avoid it happening, she can’t avoid falling in love. The timing was just not right.

Her phone had been turned off for the 3 days.  She turned it on and texts rushed in, notifications flooding on her phone screen. She saw Gary’s name floating by too many times.  His texts were full of concern for her at first and later on became angry texts filled with frustration for her.  Part of her initial plan was to make Gary upset and to ignore him during the getaway. But reading his texts, she started to feel sad. Tears were rolling down her cheeks.

Her phone rang. She can’t read thru her teary eyes but she knew the caller by the ringtone. She suddenly felt her heart constricting. She missed him.

“Hello, oppa…” Gary was going to shout in the phone once she answered but her voice made him stop. His heart weakened to her voice.

“Jihyo, what’s wrong??”  He asked worriedly. He can hear her sobbing. All his anger disappeared.  His heart felt tight too.

“Can you please come to me now, oppa?”

“Where are you?? I’ll go now” He picked up his keys from the table and walked towards the door. He was putting on his shoes, listening to her answer.

“Gokcho… I am fine. I just want to see you. I’ll send my location”

“That far! I’m coming. Just wait for me.” It’s 2 hours away but he is not complaining. He wanted to be there as soon as possible. He got there in less than 2 hours. Jihyo had the door unlocked for him and he walked in.

“jihyo!” he was calling out in the villa.

“Oppa, I’m up here.” She was on the loft bedroom looking down on him. He ran up the stairs and hugged her.

“Are you okay?” He asked softly. Tears streamed down her face.

“Tell me what’s troubling you. Let me help you. You’ve been gone for days and I was worried sick.”

She was sobbing, drenching the front of his white t-shirt. She hugged him close.

“Can you please stay here. I will tell you but not now. I just want you close to comfort me now.”

“Ok.. whatever you want. I’m here now. I’ll stay with you. We’ll go back together.” At that point he would agree to anything she says.

He watched her getting better that evening. She was extra clingy to him, which he liked and encouraged. She didn’t talk much. Time were spent cuddling on the couch while she slept. He didn’t dare suggest the bed. They were on a break. They’re friends now.

“She must have not slept well these few days” He was talking in his mind. “I want so much to help her but she is not talking about it.”

He felt her moving and knew she was waking up. He kissed her on top of her head. “Are you tired honey?” She nodded and hugged him tight. They are so used to it that it happened naturally. “Let me cook something for you to eat and then you can continue to sleep.” He released himself from her and stood up to walk to the kitchen.

“Oppa..” he turned and saw her sad face. He walked back to her and kneeled in front of her, taking her hands in his.

“Don’t be sad. Forget all your troubles for a while. I am here to care for you. Come with me to the kitchen. I can’t leave you here alone.” He pulled her up and pulled her to the kitchen. He lifted her to sit on the counter and gave her a smile. Normally, he would have given her a kiss instead. But they’re taking a break he has to set the limit. “I’ll see what I can cook, ok. You stay here and watch me.” She fell in love with him all over again. She decided to have this moment and make it a good memory. “this will be the last time I spend time with him like this before we break up” she thought.

She got down from where she sat and walked up to him, hugging him from the back, leaning her head on his back. He was not surprised she did that. She did it often before. She was the one who suggested they take a break, she should know her limits better than him.  “You love holding me so much don’t you?” He felt her nodding. “I think it’s only been 15 minutes in total that you have not touched me ever since I got here” He was chuckling and the vibration from his body was comforting to her.

He got on the bed and sat next to her. “Let’s take a photo… I want you to smile your most beautiful smile, ok?” He held up his phone the same time she held hers up and they laughed at their synchronicity. They are always in sync. He captured them laughing. She did too.

They sat back comparing their pictures. “Oppa… If it is never this happy between us, can we please keep this to remind us of the good times we had?”

“Why do you say that?” He should be upset of her mentioning that but he didn’t want to spoil it with her. He asked calmly.

“With all that’s happening… the fame, the money, the work… A lot of things need to be considered. We’re not here by ourselves. If something happens between us..”

“Jihyo…”

“Let me finish. This has been bothering me.” He kept quiet and listened on. “If it’s destined that we’re not to be together anymore. If we have to go apart… Can you promise me we’d still be friends? Iknow we’re taking a break now. But at this moment, I seriously don’t know what I should do.”

“The love is not the same anymore isn’t it?” He’s trying to be cool about it. He felt the distance before. He thought Jihyo is growing out of love for him.

Jihyo didn’t respond to that. If she had said the love is not the same because she had fallen deeper, he would have fought for her to stay. That would further complicate things. She decided to let him assume that. After all, if it’s meant to be, they will be together someday, somehow.

“Promise me we can be friends. “

It was heartbreaking for Gary but he thought Jihyo needed that. He would do that because he love her. He would try and win her back before anybody else gets her. He thought it impossible for her to forget him so fast that he can’t get her back in time. He has some time to get her back.

“I promise. But can you please promise me you’ll let me try to make you fall in love with me again?” She looked him in the eyes and saw his sorrow. She smiled in agreement. He started getting up from the bed.

“Where are you going?” She was confused. “We’re done talking right? I’ll leave you to sleep here” He smiled that smile she loves.

“Can’t you stay next to me tonight? I want to hold your hand while I sleep.”

“Don’t make it hard for me Jihyo…”

“I promise we’d just hold hands… nothing more. We’ll go back to Seoul tomorrow.” She was unsure of herself. If she stayed longer, she would have changed her mind about breaking up.

He gave in and slept next to her holding her hand.  She was happy and had the best sleep after so many sleepless nights.

The next day, he sent her home.

“Thank you, oppa. You’re the best ever friend I’ve ever had” He knew she was ruling it out. She wanted to make it clear that they are friends.

She intended that. She wanted him to perceive it that way although she wanted otherwise. Deep down, she’s proud that she is strong enough to do it. She is also proud of Gary for being the gentleman.