Chapter 6

Love Happens... Beyond Monday
Cho PD called Gary and Jihyo for an unofficial meeting 2 days after they filmed episode 12.  Gary knows he is in trouble. Jihyo too guessed what he was going to talk about. 
 
The scene in the rain.  She was actually desperate playing the game.  She got caught by Jongkook.  Then, he left her with Gary. Jongkook wanted to take her out.  But he knew Gary wanted time with her so he let him have that. He left Jihyo with him, telling him to get rid of her when he’s done.  He just could not stand Jihyo begging him.  Gary thought it would be easy.  He’ll just have a few minutes to talk to her and then rip her name tag off. He did not expect her to hold on to his leg, begging him. 
The previous week, they did have moments but she was still unsure of him.  HaHa had ruined it for him by pushing it a little too hard on her.  HaHa didn’t want the loveline.  He wanted to build his own character without being attached on the show.  He pushed Gary, whom have yet to find a character.  Gary was already getting bored on the show without a functional character besides being his boring self, having to come up with random jokes just so people know he existed. But HaHa went to Jihyo and told her he likes her. Really likes her.  He thought he was doing Gary a favor. But Gary saw that she became awkward and was quite scared of whatever he did.  He had to try hard to make her relax around him.
That scene in the rain was a perfect situation to clear things out with her. He wanted a chance to prove himself so she can trust him.  He knows she is afraid that he would want to pursue her in real life and make it uncomfortable for them on set if she rejects him.  He wanted to assure her, he will not put the pressure on her.
 
It’s a Wednesday and it is only 3 pm.  The restaurant is empty.  It was just them inside. Three of them. “I think you know why I specifically called for you two to meet here.” He is quite serious. “Yes, I’m sorry. It was my fault for not playing according to your instructions” Gary apologised.  Jihyo is waiting for Cho totell her off too.
 
“It’s OK.. I think it was interesting that you do that. But we’ll have to point out later that what you did was not permissible just so we can control how the others play the game later on so things don’t get out of control” He looked at Jihyo. “You did good Jihyo.  Using your womanly charm on this guy.”  She blushed. Gary sitting next to her was shaking trying to control his laughter. “I was desperate, I didn’t mean to use my ‘womanly charm’ on him” she defended her action.  Cho PD laughed seeing his friend trying to cover up her action. “No need to explain.  I am here with a proposition”
They were staring at him. Waiting for his explanation. “I saw the footage.  I think it would be a great start to your loveline together…” 
“What??” Gary was surprised with that. “I am having a love line??” He looked at Jihyo.  She wasn’t as surprised as him.”I think you two should get closer off camera.Just to build that chemistry.  I see that both of you will have great chemistry.  You complement each other well.  And Jihyo, you know well that I wanted him in the loveline with you in the first place.  I just wasn’t convinced he can do it.  But from what I saw, I think we can work towards that.”  Jihyo smiled knowing exactly what he meant.
 
“Oh my gaddd~” he sighed. “oppa, don’t worry… we’ll just take it as it goes.  Very slowly. I think it’s about time you get the attention of the public.  You’ve been hiding behind your music for too long, I think it’s unfair that people don’t give you a chance to shine”  He was even more surprised by her words. A chance to shine?  Why is she concerned about making him shine?? Cho PD didn’t expect that of Jihyo, but whatever makes it interesting, he wouldn’t mind. He sees Jihyo has a lot of respect for this man. “Gary, you don’t have too force it.  Just do whatever is comfortable.  Jihyo is an actress.  She would know how to work with whatever you give her.  The company loves what happened at the art museum. They finally see some potential in making you the star for the program.” He was flattered. He nodded his head agreeing to it. “OK, I’ll do it. But promise you two would help me?” 
 
Cho excused himself for another meeting, asking them to get familiar with each other before going home.
“Oppa, why are you so shy when we’re alone?  You are so direct in front of the camera that I got so scared.”
“It’s different with the camera around… At least people would think I am doing it for the show.  Now that there is nobody around, you would think I’m going overboard using all those cheesy lines on you.  I’m quite comfortable with cameras”
She thinks he is cute and adorable.  He looks rough on the exterior but inside he has a kind heart. Honest too. “Since we’re going to be together a lot on the show. Let’s just get to know each other.  Not the whole life story but some stuff we can start with.” He nodded in agreement.
 
“Honestly, I am a fan of your music.  I’ve been following you.  I saw you on TV and told Cho to get you on the show.  I wanted to see you shine.  I saw how Gil had established himself in the variety show and you’re just hiding behind your music when you have so much more to offer”  His eyes widened at the revelation. She smiled to convince him “Seriously, oppa. You’re funny, smart and cool.  I think people would love you if they get to see the real you.”
“You have such confidence in me?” He wanted to know for sure. “I do. I have seen you work. You’re such a mysterious person to me.  You write all those deep lyrics and yet when I see you on the talk shows, you never failed to make them laugh with your jokes.Your friends talk very highly of you. I am curious.”
“So you’re curious about me? Are you attracted to me?” He joked. “Hahaha! I think you’re handsome” she winked at him. That breaks the ice.  They started chatting away sharing their thoughts on the show. It was 5pm when people started coming in the restaurant and they thought to better leave before people started noticing them together. 
“Let me send you home. A cab is hard to get at this time and traffic will be bad soon” he offered. “Is it ok for you? My house is quite far.”  He smiled his answer and take her hand to guide her to his car. Opened the passenger door for her and once she’s in, he shut it slowly. “So where shall i send you?” He was going through the GPS system, ready to type her address. She told him her address. “Can I save it in the system? Since we’re going to spend a lot of time together and I’ll have to send you home frequently.” He could have just saved it later but being a gentleman, he thought he should ask her. She reached out her finger and pressed save.  He chuckled and drove on.
…..
 
They did not go out after that.  They chatted every now and then. Gary would excitedly wait for her text every day. A simple chat, asking about each other’s day. It never got personal but they are friendly.  They are comfortable. Filming together is not as awkward.  HaHa now plays the role of getting them together on the show. Jaesuk would normally feed them with moments too.  It gets easier for Gary as Jihyo is always supportive of what he does.
 
Gary is getting attached to her.  It was only a few weeks and he is already falling deeper for her.  He wished all their chats and interactions were real.  At least it was real for him.  HaHa knows it. He tells him everything. HaHa tries to help whenever he can.  But he worries for his best friend falling in too deep. However, he is happy to see him having hope one more time.
Filming is going on at the subway yard. The moment a handsome guest was introduced, his motivation reduced. He always feels inferior around handsome guys especially when a girl he likes is around. And when the PD announced it was a game to raise Jihyo’s heartbeat.  He didn’t expect his words would raise her heartbeat that high when they were practicing.   That boosted his confidence. When she asked if he really loves her, he was actually being honest. 
When the game started his confidence runs low with every guy going up to her. When Joongki kissed her on the cheek, that had the most effect.  His confidence dropped to its lowest. When it was his turn, he was nervous.  He had changed the lyrics to his famous rap for her. He raps the lyrics. 
 
Jihyo, being a fan was touched with the lyrics. She thought that should increase her heartbeat fairly high.  It was romantic.  She had always loved his rap. Then he was building it up with some corny lines but Jaesuk interrupted. Gary was quite upset when Jaesuk did that. Twice! Jaesuk thought Gary was getting too serious.  He saw Gary was actually confessing his true feelings.  He can’t watch that. He stopped Gary from going too far.  He doesn’t want his brother hurt. 
 
The result came out and Gary scored low. Jihyo was surprised.  He loved Gary’s confession most.  She even went up to Cho PD to ask after the game to ask if the heartbeat had been manipulated by them.  “No, those were real readings. Your heartbeat goes up and down a wide range for each of them.  But guess what.. with Gary, it didn’t change much. I guess he was so peaceful you were really relaxed” Cho winked at her. Now, she gets it.  He made her calm with that voice.  “That is good” she said to herself, smiling.
 
During the chasing mission, Gary was flirting with her. If he had done that during the heartbeat mission, he would have passed, she thought. She saw an opportunity to get close, she went into him and hugged him close. Pretending to be caught by him in front of Jongkook.  She’d rather have some moments with him.  Like the last time, he let her go again.  He just can’t do it to her. 
….
After the filming, he offered her a ride home.  She readily accepted.  She’d prefer riding with him than take the production’s shuttle. At least they can talk some more for their roles as the Monday Couple.  
 
“Are you OK to drive oppa? You must be sleepy.  Let’s stop and get some coffee for the ride. At least I won’t sleep while you drive.”
“I was thinking the same thing! I need coffee.”  He stopped near a coffeeshop and hurried inside to get their coffee. 
...
“What is it with you and the word home?” He finds it funny that her heartbeat dropped so drastically at the mention of ‘home’. She laughed. “I actually didn’t know it has that effect. But yeah, home is very private to me. I don’t like people going to my place. That is the only place I can be totally free.”
“But it’s ok if i send you home right?”  He is unsure of how she feels about him knowing where her house is. “It’s OK oppa.  I trust you enough. Don’t worry about it”  He grinned at her answer. She trusts him.
...
“So how did I do during filming?” He wanted to know what she thinks. “You did really good.  You raised my heartbeat to the highest. I asked Cho if the changed the result.  He said no.” 
 
“Yeah.. but during the real game, I was one of the lowest.” He smiled remembering how bad he did.  “But I love what you did.  Even I was surprised it was that low.  I love that song. Having you recreating that song for me is really exciting to me. Next time, write a song for me ok” She was flirting with him. He chuckled softly. “I asked Cho because I was surprised by your result being low. You know what he told me?” He glanced her way, waiting for her answer. “He told me, when each of them was trying, my heartbeat fluctuated a great range. You were the only one that got a consistent reading the whole time,”  He reached her home so he turned to look at her with confusion in his face. “So what does it mean?”
 
“He said… I was relaxed.  My heartbeat stayed the same without much change.  I guess you gave me some sort of peace and I was calm the whole time.  It was only higher than normal because you held on to my hand”
She opened the door to get out.  “I guess you’re the peaceful guy. I should hang out with you more often to get some peace in my life.” She said while getting out.  “Thank you, oppa.  Please drive safely and text me when you reach home ok. Bye”
 
She didn’t wait for his goodbye and shut the door.  She was smiling while she walked up to her apartment.  She wished he knows.