Chapter 18

Love Happens... Beyond Monday

It’s been a few weeks since the separation.  They don’t meet for dates anymore but they do keep in touch with texting and calling although not as frequent. It allows him some room to get used to not having her and to readjust his life. 

She found it hard to watch how he was trying to act normal during filming that she sometimes acted cold around him. She had to be cruel.  She didn’t want to give him hope and distract him from all his effort to focus on his life.  She did cry every night thinking about him and the distance.

On numerous occasions, she had thought of going to him and to forget about what they’d agreed on. She wanted to be selfish and do that. Then, she convinced herself that he needed to sort out his life before committing to her. She doesn’t think she can live long with a man that gradually lose himself trying to love her. Because she loved him for the man that he is, she didn’t want him to be less than that.

What’s adding pressure to her was her CEO constantly talking her into getting involved with a male actor he’s trying to gain publicity for.  She was the only female actress in the company at that moment. Most actress are attached to other companies.  She thought to do it differently and take the company’s offer because she would not have competition for jobs within the company and she’d get the best treatment since she’s a sole female representative in the filming industry. Well, it was too good to be true and she knew that now. She gets controlled a lot since they have no one else to control, the attention is always on her. The company’s rivals also target her.

The CEO did have scandals before and did cause some ‘discomfort’ towards his rival companies. People are scared of him and some just wished they can get rid of him although it is quite impossible with his strong backing from a few groups of people he had been supporting financially.

Jihyo walked into the CEO’s office after filming the christmas episode of Running Man.  She had a good time with Gary. She wanted to make it up to him during filming because she can’t do it in real life. Gary was thinner, a sign he has been working hard. She knew he hardly eats when he’s busy with his music and business. He did tell her he’s working on a few songs for some artists and he’s looking at his business. He updated her with his progress every now and then to show her that he’s making efforts and progress.

She was in a good mood. She needed to feel good knowing she’s facing the big trouble in the form of her CEO. The moment she sat, Mr Baek threw photos on to his table towards her. She picked a few up to have a closer look.

“Oh my!” She was in shock! Photos of her separation kiss with Gary in the car. It was weeks ago, why did it have to appear now? She was confused. She looked up at his unsmiling face waiting for him to explain the situation.

“I received this a few days ago. I didn’t want to disturb your mood for the Running Man filming today so I had you come here now…” He started with and irritated voice.

“They’ve given me 3 weeks to think about it.  They’re asking for a lot of money and it’s not even worth forking out for since it’s way more than you can bring in the remaining years of your contract here. And signing you on for a few more years don’t seem like a good idea since I don’t really see Running Man lasting more than 3 years… at least not with the same casts.”

She knew he was getting to the part she hated most. He will be talking her into dating the male actor again.

“I am not going to talk you into the same thing again.  The stakes are higher now, you’ll have to pay up the fees yourself, which I know you can’t afford and know you don’t dare ask from your rich father. I am going to propose one thing you can’t refuse” She felt scared hearing his tone of voice.

“I am proposing we break out a scandal of you dating me” he had the evil grin on his face while Jihyo was in shock. She didn’t expect that.

“You?? Why??”

“Since getting you to date an actor can only bring good to his career. I’m taking it a step further. You date me and give the publicity to the company. It will improve my image. More talents will sign on. It will bring back thee money I am going to spend on these photos. But you’ll have to sign another contract, if the company’s targeted earning is not achieved by the end of your contract, you either pay up or extend your contract.”

“How much are they asking?”

“One billion won” She was further in shock. That much!

“That’s like my contract’s worth for a year!”

“That’s why you’ll be receiving smaller proportions of your pay to make up for it. But don’t worry, I’ll make sure you have the expensive stuffs to wear when you’re dating me. Gotta keep up the good image. After all, people will get the impression that I’m spoiling you with my money.”

“How long do I have to play this role?” She knew she had no way out.

“4 months of actively dating me and you cannot tell a single soul it’s fake. After that you can’t make a statement and just let them assume we break up.  After the 4 months, you can tell your friends if you want to although knowing you, I know you won’t tell anyone of how you have to sell yourself to get out of this mess. But the 4 months, it’s a secret. Break up with our boyfriend or I’ll do it for you.”

“No!” She thought of Gary. “I’ll break up with him. But give it some time. I don’t know how to break the news to him but I’ll figure out a way. Let me do it please.” She was begging him. He knew her weakness is him.

“I’ll give you til end of January. I am being considerate here.” He wasn’t considerate. He wanted the longer effect til middle of next year. The best time to get all the talents in. Projects for the year will be carried out motsly during the second quarter. That’s when the most money comes.

“OK, I’ll do that.  But this will just be an act. I am not sleeping with you. We’re only acting in public and for those paparazzis.” One thing for her to convince Gary later on is to make sure this is kept professional. Sleeping with the boss will make it worse.

“Sure. I don’t need to sleep with you. Women throw themselves at me all the time. I have young girls walking through my door everyday begging to have a break in showbiz” For the first time she didn’t feel sick hearing him say that. She felt relieved. Relieved that she is protecting herself.

 

As she walked out of the office, she restrained herself from crying until she got home. She cried her frustration out. She cried imagining how hurt Gary would be because of this. She can’t explain to Gary as he would take matters in his own hands and make things worse for both of them.

She had to take control. She had to calm herself and plan out what she needs to do with Gary.  She called up her sister to arrange for a getaway somewhere secluded to think things over.  She signed the contract. She bought some time. She needs the best plan to keep her man and her career.