Chapter 5

Love Happens... Beyond Monday

She had not signed the contract for Running Man.  It was verbally agreed that she would be a permanent.  She missed last week’s filming because the production team had already planned it without her and the guests had confirmed.  The contract will be ready next week. She would be assigned a stylist and an assistant.  She doesn’t have a manager since she didn’t need one due to the lack of jobs.  She works by herself all this while.  She only get assistants on the job, assigned by the production company.  She is happy that at this age, she’s finally receiving the break she needs.

…..

She’s been reading the texts in the group chat... normally it’s HaHa, Kwangsoo and Jongkook chatting random stuffs and picking on each other.  She’s entertained by them but rarely joins in. She is still not familiarized with the group. The filming for the previous week went well.  The members are still pushing HaHa for a loveline with her. She didn’t mind a loveline because it is part of the job. No feelings will be involved anyway.  It will be awkward if she really falls for her partner and if they break up later on.  HaHa will do just fine.  Not her ideal type.  He is too loud for her.  She’d like some peace in a relationship.

Surprisingly, last week Gary was blunt enough to cut in and answer on her behalf. “love?” she laughed remembering that scene.

He didn’t mean to speak out… he was just watching her, intoxicated by her pretty eyes. He heard the question. He was answering in his mind, or so he thought. Suddenly the attention was on him and he realized he did actually say it out loud. She looked at him and laughed because it was so random of him. And his justification was because she had beautiful eyes. They laughed even more because it doesn’t connect well with his answer. He realized that and changed the topic. “At least, I can expect to laugh every week with his randomness” she thought.

Her phone beeped.

Gary: Good morning! How are you doing?

Just when she was thinking about him, he texted!

Jihyo: Good morning oppa! Finally someone from the cast texting me hahaha!

Gary: They didn’t text you?? HaHa didn’t text you? I told him to text you since he’ll have a loveline with you.

Jihyo: Nope. I am still trying to figure out how to create that loveline. Don’t you think the guy and girl should complement each other for it to look real?

Gary: I wouldn’t know what’s on the PDs mind.  I don’t even know how this show works!

Jihyo: Hahaha, right. I’ll have to see as it goes then.  See you tomorrow.

Gary: ok. See you tomorrow.

Jihyo regretted saying “see you tomorrow”.  It’s a sign to ending the conversation.  Now it’ll be awkward to continue chatting.  She let it go.  She decided she can be friendly with him later.

…..

Contract signed. Among others, she has to have a loveline with one of them.  She was told that PDs had informed the other guys to pursue her on the show as well if they wanted to be on the loveline. So she can choose whomever she wants. But for now, the most possible partner would be HaHa.

They went to the location at the art museum. They are all gathered there.  The guests are already there. She greeted everybody.  Still awkward as the only female member.  HaHa, Jongkook and Gary are still shy towards her.  The rest are OK since they have met and they have similar friends outside.  Before they started filming Gary went up to her. “All the best with the loveline” She sighed, a little worried about getting the chemistry with HaHa. Gary saw that. He patted her on her shoulder as support and went on to his spot beside HaHa.  He talked to HaHa to do well with Jihyo since she’s not that comfortable.

HaHa looked at Gary.  He saw that he was concerned with Jihyo.  “This hyung cannot hide it.  He likes her” HaHa thought. He went to Jaesuk and whispered to him “Hyung, let’s try Gary today. I think he needs it”  Jaesuk didn’t like the idea.  He doesn’t want him hurt but he saw what HaHa saw too. “Let’s just let it flow naturally…” The PD called to start filming.

….

The next mission, one member for each team are to be left behind.  PD briefed Jaesuk that Jihyo should be left behind… the other guy should be decided among them as they filmed.  The PDs don’t like the show to be planned out in detail.  They would throw in certain situation and just let the cast build up from that.

“Jihyo are you good at drawing?” She played along because she’s supposed to be the one left behind. “Nope”.  Sukjin, as usual picked on her “What are you actually good at??”

“According to Gary.. it’s love!” HaHa cut in. She blushed. Gary tried to make HaHa to stay but suddenly HaHa turned it on him “I think we should leave this two together and let them get close”  Gary was shocked with the twist.  He is not ready for this! Jihyo is not ready for it either. “Why?? We are already close!” Jaesuk was surprised, he asked “you’re close? Do you have his phone number?” He knew she knows his phone number from the group chat, he was trying to create the situation for Gary.  She is not supposed to say she has his phone number so she said “no”.

“What’s the age difference between you two?” Jaesuk asked. To everyone’s surprise, Jihyo answered “four” instantly.  Gary was surprised she knew their age difference. He was happy but he saw that Jihyo knew she answered too fast. “4 years? Like the 4 letters for Love to death?” That wit of his got a burst of laughter from them.  She was relieved he saved her.

 So they decided on Gary and Jihyo.  Gary is torn between shy and happy.  He wanted this loveline.  He never told anyone. Silently, he was thanking God.

Jihyo was ready to be left with HaHa but not him.  She is shy. PD Cho was laughing off camera.  He is loving it.  He didn’t expect his friend to be so shy.  He saw Jihyo trying to make Jaesuk and Sukjin stay. “This is going to be interesting” he whispered to Myuk PD beside him.

Gary wanted to make her comfortable.  She will not look good for the show if she carried on like that. Then, she speaks. “Oppa, shouldn’t this be the age for you to get married?” tring to create conversation, that was a random topic that crossed her mind. He was surprised with such a personal question. “Why? Are you in a hurry?” His one-liner made her laugh. After that it was awkward again. He tried to overcome the awkwardness, to no avail. He excused himself and decided to buy a drink for her.  To provide something for her to do besides fidgeting at her place so awkwardly.  He only had enough coins to buy one. He bought a coffee and handed it to her. She was surprised. That was thoughtful of him.  It’s in her nature to be kind and considerate.  She took an extra cup and poured half for him. “She’s beautiful” he thought.

When the members are back, PD stopped the filming to brief them on the mission.  Jihyo took out her phone and texted “Thank you, oppa” his phone vibrated, he read the text and looked at her, nodding as reply to the text.

After the filming… Cho PD and Myuk PD gathered them together. 

“Today was a good shoot.  Gary, you were outstanding! Would you carry on pursuing Jihyo? I think it would be a great loveline.” Jihyo blushed. She likes the idea.  She always thought of all the members, Gary would complement her well on the show. Gary looked at her. She smiled and nodded to agree with it. “Ok, I’ll try my best”

“Can’t I try too?? Besides, it’s the new trend for guys to date older girls”  Joongki wanted a loveline.  He was signed on by the company to have a loveline because he has the commercial face.  The only handsome face for the show according to the company.  Everybody was taken aback with his words.  They didn’t expect him to ask for it. “Besides I’ve known Noona before. So I think we have a chance”  Jihyo decided not to respond to that. Joongki is known to be proud of his appearance.  She thinks being on the show will do him good.  He would learn to appreciate the finer things in life.  Besides he’s young and ambitious. He has a good heart, he is just not used to being sidelined.

“I think we can work with that too… We’ll have a love triangle then!” Myuk PD left it at that.

….

Jihyo caught up with Gary walking to the carpark. “Oppa, are you ok with the loveline?” She wasn’t sure anymore after seeing his face when Joongki wanted a part of it.

“I don’t know… With a handsome guy to compete with, I don’t think the viewers would like me much if I am stealing someone from that guy” he laughed rather awkwardly.

“He is just that way. I’ve known him for a while. But he’s nice”

“That’s the problem… if he is nice and good looking… That would leave me with bad and ugly” He sighed. “Maybe I should not be in the loveline”

“But I want you to” She said shyly. He stopped and turned to look at her to see if she was serious. She looked serious. “Seriously?? Why?”

“Because I am not comfortable with him. Besides, Cho told me this show is about the superficial things. He told me you’d be perfect in the loveline.  He just wasn’t sure you’ll be able to do it until today”

“And what do you think?”

“I think you would be fun to work with.  I have always been a fan of your music.  You’re not fake. It would be more real.  Besides, I noticed you’ve always been supportive.  We would make a great team”

His mouth was hanging open, not believing what he heard. So she was the fan that suggested him for the show. A smile spread on his face. Happy.

“Promise me you’ll give it a try oppa? I promise to work hard. Besides, Joongki is an obvious choice for most girls, it will be boring.  A love triangle sounds good!” She jokingly said that. “Ya! You greedy woman! Hahaha!”

“I have to look good on the show too.  Guys fighting over me is good” She feign the princess-like attitude. “Hahaha! You’re cute.  Don’t blame me if I fall for you”

“Just don’t make me fall for you, ok” she said cheekily. He laughed at that joke. “Bye oppa. See you next week.. by the way, that was not a joke.” He stood there, looking at her walking away. Confused. Not a joke?