Chapter 22

Love Happens... Beyond Monday

Jihyo has been texting Gary every other day to chat on anything at all. She would find reasons to randomly text him and he would do the same if she went quiet for a few days. The connection was still there. They didn’t dare talk of their emotions towards each other. They are comfortable with just being able to connect to each other. They would call on rare occasions, when they can find a good excuse to do so.

“Oppa.. it’s really awkward on set. I am sorry I have to ignore you. It’s kinda hard to have interactions with you when I don’t know how you’re going to react…” Jihyo felt guilty for avoiding him for the past 2 months. Gary understood her concern and appreciated that she thought of how he cannot fake his reactions. The other people on set will know right away that something was different.

“It’s okay Jihyo… they alll sort of assumed we have broken up badly and would avoid pairing me with you anyway.. there is no need for us to carry on the loveline.” He comforted her with a hint of smile in his voice.

“I am sorry for bringing this on to you.. selfish of me…” she still felt guilty for troubling him. “No, it’s totally ok.. I am happy that we are on talking terms now. I know I can be very awkward… because I really can’t lie much. Really bad at it…” he sighed and hear her laughed.

“I am sorry I can’t really let people know that I am doing fine with you… I just don’t know how I to handle it if he gets to know. It’s bad for the company too.”

“But he’s your boyfriend… “ Gary did feel guilty for being in contact with her secretly. 

“Oppa.. with him, it’s different. I think you know him.. there are certain things I cannot tell him just to avoid problems. Besides, we’re not having an affair.. we’re just talking on the phone as friends. I am allowed to have friends.. “ She explained to make him feel better. “.. just that being friends with my ex will surely make him jealous and he may want me to stop all this..” She knows for a fact that he will not get jealous. They rarely spend time together.. only when she needs to make an appearance with him just for show. He would send her home afterwards and they never talk on personal matters. It would always be about work. But Gary didn’t know that. She didn’t want to give him any hope, afraid that she may break his heart again and lose him forever.

“Yes, I wouldn’t want that either. I like it now too. I can accept and respect your decision. I’m glad that we can still be friends. It’s best that we decided not to let the others know too. And don’t worry about me.. I am OK with this. As you said, we’re just friends…” It was OK when she said it but hearing it from him made her sad. She wished she can tell him.

“I’ve been receiving complains and request from fans.. So just to make them feel better and keep up the rating… It is not as good lately.. We have to give in to the fans and get back their attention… so please bear with me for what’s going to happen today..” the head PD was briefing the members before they started filming. They felt it weird that he’s saying that because most of their filming had always been unpredictable anyway.

The moment he announced that Jihyo will be paired up with Gary, they all get their question answered. The thing they have been avoiding for months was happening. But PD decided well to have the mission done separately. They wanted to give Gary and Jihyo time in the car to warm up together and make it less awkward. It would have turned out bad having the other members teasing them to start with.  The fans wanted Monday Couple back on the show so they have to at least give them some moments.

Even for an actress, it was awkward for Jihyo. Real feelings were involved. She knows Gary was over her but she wasn’t over him. Gary acted cool but she was acting differently that Gary had to follow her lead. He wouldn’t want to make it uncomfortable for her. It had been a long time since and chatting on the phone is very different from being close to each other. Gary realized he still feels the attraction towards her. It wasn’t as easy as being on the phone.

“That went better than expected… The others were giving me that questioning look…” She laughed imagining his awkward face in that situation. “Sorry if I made it uncomfortable for you…”

“Me too.. it’s been a long time that I really can’t think what is approproate.. I’m sorry too.. but it was fun right? We work really well together!” She was happy that they still connect and work well together. She sounded happy on the phone it made Gary smile.

“You sound so happy today…”

“I am! I’ve been nervous waiting for this day to come. Now that it’s passed, I am really happy I can get it off my mind now.”

“But.. we can’t do it often on set.. let’s do it slow..  your boyfriend may get suspicious if we hit it off too easily. Let’s play safe. I need to be sure that you don’t get in trouble because of me.”

She was touched with his thoughtfulness. He is still the same thoughtful man that she loves. He is not one to show off his affection in public and not too often in private too. But he makes up for it for being thoughtful. He is always sensitive to her change, he always looks after her. 

“Thank you, oppa..”

….

 

They carried on as they plan. The rest of the members didn’t know that they talk off the set. They assumed they were acting. HaHa was too busy with his woman. Kwangsoo spends some nights hanging out with Gary when they’re both free but he dare not ask about Jihyo because he didn’t know if Gary is still hurting.

Then, they had to go to Bangkok again. Both felt sentimental when they reached Bangkok. Minds were wondering at times thinking of memories they shared there previously. Fortunately, they have filming as an excuse to actually be near although not as close as they wished to be. 

They had rooms on the same floor as Jaesuk and Sukjin. Gary didn’t feel like hanging out with the rest that night. Jaesuk and Sukjin retired early. So it wasn’t obvious when Gary and Jihyo said they wanted to rest and forgo hanging out with the world class football stars.

He texted Jihyo first. 

“Aren’t you hanging out with them? Why are you texting me?” 

“No.. I am in my room and hungry. Regretting not joining them now.”

“Me too! I’m really hungry!”

“Want to eat together. I’ll order room service and we can just chat.”

“sure.. you order and let me know when you get the food and I’ll go over”

They didn’t think much. They just thought it a good idea to eat and talk. So they did. He was comfortable talking and telling jokes while she laughed. It felt good. It felt like old times. He fell in love with her all over again. She fell deeper for him for handling her with respect and care even after what she had done to him. She promised herself that she would one day make up to him… if she has the chance.

 

They parted after midnight. Gary checked the hallway before calling her out. Her room was 3 doors away and he was at the end of the corridor. Sukjin was getting out of the bathroom when he hear the door in front closing a few times. He knew Gary was staying in the room so he peeked just to see who he’s with. And right when he peeked through the peephole, Jihyo was coming out of the room. He was stunned and froze in his place. 

Sukjin had always thought there is nothing between them. He thought Gary had moved on and Jihyo has her boyfriend now. He wasn’t sure what to feel about it. He assumed they are having an affair. He thought it must have been hard for them to forget each other having seen them so in love before. He decided to keep it to himself and let them be. He pitied them for not being able to be together and hope they work it out soon.

 

 

“I am sorry.. I’m very busy right now.. I’ll chat with you when I’m a little free. I have a big project coming up” He was rushing the call while putting on his shoes. He had a meeting to go to and his manager was waiting downstairs.

“Oh.. sorry oppa.. All the best for your project”

Gary had been telling her last month of his new project with a few of his friends. They wanted to make a project together and referred to Gary since he consults some of their business deals. Gary was happy to assist them and since he had the most time, they wanted him to lead it. He took on the challenge with big ambition. He dedicated his free time for it. It was also a good distraction for him. He had been thinking of Jihyo and secretly wanted her back in his life. He needed to divert his attention and it was for a good cause.

Jihyo was feeling distant from the lack of communication. They only met during filming and barely interacted. She know she can’t demand anything from him. He told her it’s a good distraction so he doesn’t have to think of his love life and can now put it on hold and do good things with his time. Part of her was relieved to hear that he was putting in on hold. She was hoping she would have enough time to end it with her boss and go back to him.

But right then, she was miserable because she had no excuse to be in touch with him and she’ll be disturbing him working on the project. She didn’t want him to think that she was pushing it when she clearly is in a relationship with another man. She will explain to him when the time comes.

 

Then one day, a news broke out on the project. People were attacking gary online for gaining favors and making money out of them. She wasn’t aware of it until her boss texted her.

“Good that you left him… He’s doomed hahaha” She was angry reading his text. 

“Did you do it?” She was suspecting his doing. 

“You can say I did play a minor part in it.. but he wasn’t careful. His fault.” She gor more upset. “I told you to leave him alone. I broke up with him. I only met him for work. He was moving on from me. Now, you are giving him a hard time!”

“You still love him do you?”” He was mocking her. “Yes and you can’t change that. I’ve already given up on that so you don’t ruin him. You said you weren’t going to!”

“OK.. ok.. I just thought it would be fun to play a little. And I wanted to see how you’d react to this.”

“Please… if he ever decided to leave, the show would end and I would be out of job. You won’t get your invetment’s worth then.” She was making sense of things for him.

“Fine!” He hung up realizing he could lose a lot of money from his action.