Chapter 10

Love Happens... Beyond Monday

MCFF 10

 

“Mongji Mongji” the first thing she hear answering the phone. That was enough reason for the wide smile she saw on the mirror. “Yes, oppa” he can hear her smile and it was contagious, he was smiling. “I am almost there. I’ll wait at the basement.”

They have been on a few secret dates in the last few weeks.  It never got boring although time was spent talking and eating, mostly in the car.

The gate opened as he approached the high-end apartment. He smiled looking at it opening automatically. It was the first time for him using the residence entrance. She had the device delivered to him this morning, wrapped up in a box with a card.  Waking up so early to the doorbell was worth it. It is the best Valentine’s gift. Romantic too… something he didn’t expect Jihyo to be. “Access Level: Basement” he read the card. He didn’t get it. He turned the card and was surprised.

I didn’t know what to get you for today… but I think you will like this.

Welcome to my life.

Happy Valentine’s Day.

–Your Mong Ji-

The knocking sound from his right side brought him out of his thought. He unlocked the door to let her in. He handed her a small box and an envelope the moment she settled in.  She took it smiling excitedly. She opened the envelope first. “This gift is my promise to you… It is not to bind you to me but to remind you of me.  Keep half of it safe for it is my heart… The other half is for you to return whenever and if you feel it should be returned to me” she looked puzzled. “half?” she asked the man smiling while listening to her reading the card out. The note ended there. The note didn’t end. He left it hanging.

“Open it” he was smiling but anxious about her response.  He didn’t know if she’d like the idea of the gift. She opened the box. Her eyes wide in surprise and shock. 2 similar rings in different sizes. She looked up at him for answer. He didn’t know if she likes it.  He started scratching his head, arranging his words in his mind. She realized he was having second thought about it. “Oppa… it’s not that I don’t like it. Isn’t it too soon?”

She knows she likes him. She just wasn’t sure if it is the right time to commit to it. He let out a heavy breath of air he’s been keeping in. She regretted saying what she said.

“I am giving you both now.” He took the box from her hand and smiled nervously. “This is the half I want you to keep safe” he pointed to the smaller ring. “And this other one is the one I want you to keep. As long as you want until you feel I deserve to be wearing it. No pressure. I am not asking for it. I want you to keep it. Seriously, until you really want to give it to me” He handed it back to her.

“This is not yet a couple ring until you think it should be. This is a promise I am giving to you. I have fallen for you the first time I saw you. I am very sure of it. I know it is too soon. That is why I want you to keep it… as long as you want. You don’t have to return it to me if you don’t want to. Both are yours.” He was trying hard to convince her that he is not putting the pressure on her.

“You know… we have talked about this. You’ve told me how you feel before. I know and I really appreciate that. But…” She held his hand to convince him she is not rejecting him. “I am not sure of myself and you know it” He nodded his head. She had told him the same thing before. “Hey… look at me” She lifted his face so he looks in her eyes. “If it’s any consolation to you… I am actually falling for you.” She smiled and he felt relieved. “so I will keep this other ring until I feel I should give it to you.. Until I am sure. But promise me, you will not talk about it or feel anything less of yourself even if it takes a long time because I seriously have no idea right now.” He was smiling happily knowing she had agreed to his idea. “I promise!” he said it with too much enthusiasm it made her laugh.

She took the smaller ring and fit it on her thumb. “good that you didn’t have my right size so I can wear it on the thumb”

“It is the right size” he said proudly. “I wanted you to wear it on the thumb.”

“Seriously??”

“Yes… that finger will put too much pressure on you. I didn’t want you to be pressured by it. Besides, that finger deserves a better ring.” He winked at her and smiled cheekily. He is too cute she can’t resist giving him a peck on the cheek. “Thank you oppa” he was blushing like a girl.  

“I think I’ve kissed you on the cheek a few times already! Why are you still blushing?” She laughed at the fact that he was more shy than she is. He had never once kissed her, not even on the cheek. He held up his hand indicating four times. “You counted too! Hahaha!” 

“And how many kisses have you given me so far?” she pretended to count. Suddenly he leaned in and gave her a kiss on the cheek “once!” she was surprised but she could not contain her laugh. “Finally! I thought I’d have to wait a few more months for that!”.

“I can make up for the time you waited by giving you a real kiss” suddenly he became his confident self and Jihyo blushed at his words. “But… I think I’ll make you kiss me today..” he was teasing her. She didn’t say anything and looked out the window to avoid it.

The drive to the filming location was filled with their normal conversation updating each other on their lives and telling stories of their friends. She is animated when she tells him her stories and he finds her more attractive the more she talks.  He can’t look at her much, driving the car but he did steal a few glances every now and then. Although, he can already imagine her face and expressions by listening to her voice.

He has not been picking up HaHa for the past few weeks. Gary tells everything to his bestfriend. HaHa told him to not pick him up as he knows the rides on Monday are precious time for them to get to know each other as well as for building up their mood before shooting starts. The other members suspected something going on but never asked.  They have been hiding. Pretending to come separately by arriving ahead of the other members.

....

Jihyo arranged for her coordinator to buy cakes for the members and attach her hand-written card for each of them. She gave the cake boxes to them during the opening.  Gary thought he would get a special one but it turned out he got the most platonic card. He already had a special card so he didn’t mind.

Filming went on as usual but since it’s Valentine’s Day, the PD asked them to make a scene for the Monday Couple. They found a dedicated room. Gary holding to the cake box from the beginning was most appropriate for the scene.  It was unplanned but it was convenient for the PD.

“Let’s do a scene from Secret Garden.. Since we already have the cake” Jihyo was excited.  She is a big fan of Hyun Bin and she has been following the drama. Gary knows that of her.  Sometimes he gets jealous listening to Jihyo talking about Hyun Bin in the drama. Gary knows which scene they were referring to.  Jihyo told him about all the scenes she loves in the drama and he would take the effort to watch those scenes online just so he knows what she likes.

“It’s OK, I’ve watched the scene before” he told his coordinator when she was playing the scene on her phone for him to refer. That surprised Jihyo.  He said he didn’t watch the drama.  While the crews get ready with the camera, she asked him. “You said you don’t watch the drama, so u did watch?” He shook his head denying it. “I don’t watch the drama.  I only watch the scenes you like” he winked at her. Again, she was surprised he was actually listening to her when she thought he listened because he wanted to be on her good side.  “You mean, you search for those scenes after I told you??” He nodded. At that moment, she knows he is one of a kind. Her past boyfriends would have just listened and not remember it right after.

The scene was made into a parody.  She could nt kiss Gary for the camera. It would be too much for the show. “Can we please take five? I don’t want to waste this cake. Let me finish eating before we continue please” he requested to the PD. He nodded and told the other crews to leave them to eat and setup outside the room.

Gary purposely smeared his lips with the icing again hoping Jihyo would actually kiss the icing off his lips. He smiled at her cheekily, waiting. She didn’t lean in but moved to sit beside him. “You really want me to kiss you right now?” She talk in her lowest volume while she covered their mics with her hands.he nodded so cutely she can’t resist it. She leaned in and kissed him on the lips. She intended it to be brief. But he was holding her head to him right away. She let it go on for a while. Luckily the crew knocked on the door before opening. They parted in time. Jihyo quickly walked out of the room to resume filming.  She saw Jongkook. “Why do you have cream on your lips??” he suddenly asked her. He pretended she didn’t hear and walked away from him. She can’t make it obvious. “that was clolse!” she said to herself when she got far enough to wipe the cream off her face.

Gary was on cloud nine. That was their first kiss. He refused to wipe off the cream on his face for filming. He’d wear it on to remind him of the kiss. It was his happy moment. Jihyo noticed it and smiled.  She wonder why she finds everything is cute about him today.

“Jihyo, let me send you home. I am going to my friend’s place near your home” He purposely asked in front of the others to not make it look obvious that they had planned on going back together. “OK then, I can tell my crews to go back early.” She got the sign from him and played on.

“Why didn’t you wipe your mouth just now?” she asked the moment she got in the car.

“Why? You feel like kissing me again when you see it?” he . She didn’t expect that and laughed.  “No, I was so hapy I want it there for a prolonged effect of that kiss. I made you kiss me today!” He was punching his fist in the air like a champion. She blushed and bend her head on to the dashboard.  He reached out for her shoulder. “Don’t be embarrassed about it.” He pulled her o sit back in her sit while he started driving. He reached out to hold her hand, it to calm her nerves. “Did I kiss so bad that you’re actually loathing it now?” he joked. She giggled. “You were okay.” She tried to act calm.  Her heart was beating a little too fast when she replayed the kiss in her mind. “I’ll have to practice more then…” he said playfully. She didn’t respond. “I guess I’ll have to find a girl to practice on before I kiss you again..” her face turned to him instantly.  It was a reflex. She was jealous at the mention of another girl. He saw that because he was glancing towards her at the same moment to watch her response. The response was better than he expected. He smiled at her and squeezed her hand in assurance.”..although I don’t think I can kiss another girl after that kiss” he continued and that made her smile.

She didn’t say anything but she was relaxed and sat back in her seat.  She locked her fingers between his and enjoyed the moment in silence. Smiling out her window.