Chapter 14

Love Happens... Beyond Monday

“Jihyo… you should know you’re not supposed to be dating for 3 years after you signed the contract.” Her manager was upset the moment she walked into his office. Her head bent down because she knows her explanation, no matter how right would not change the consequences.

“I know you can’t choose when you’re going to fall for someone. I know you’re used to dating. But please keep it low. Right now the payment we made to the paparazzi is not that much but you’re rising and people are getting curious with your loveline on the show. We will not be able to afford such payments in the future.”

She is starting to regret signing the contract. She wished she had waited. She was doing it for her career. She had been waiting for that opportunity to knock for so long that once it came she took it right away without much thought. She didn’t have much to think at that time. She didn’t know Gary would come and change everything.

“I know… It was an honest mistake. I will avoid going out in public in the future. But you know me… I am in love with him. I can’t leave him. I can only do that for now.. I can only keep it a secret.” She sighed. Tears pooled in her eyes.

The manager took a seat next to her and had his hand on her shoulder. “Hey… I am your manager, I am supposed to remind you of all these things. My loyalty is to you but we have a contract.  I will protect you as much as I can. I have seen many talents fail before.  We are in a tough industry.  They control everything. You will not be able to get jobs if they decide to not want you to have jobs.  Right now, people from upstairs” He pointed his finger upward referring to the CEO’s office on the top floor. “they are already cutting jobs for you. Words have gone around that you were caught dating some celebrity and ad agencies are catching on it and wants to sign you on to ride thru the publicity. But I am not receiving any offers. Means the boss is rejecting them” She let out a sigh and leaned back with her eyes closed trying to digest the situation.

“As I said, right now, I can only avoid appearing with him in public. We’ll keep it indoors. And I trust you to cover up for me with those people upstairs.”

…..

“Oppa… I’m on my way to your office with lunch. Can you please send your staff for me at the end of the street?. My manager’s dropping me off”

“Sure thing. I’ll send them down for you”

She bought packed lunch for the whole office. She was stressed and needed to see him.  He had work at the office.  Four of his female staff waited for her at the corner of the street. The place is not busy during the day but they know the boss’s girlfriend needs cover everytime she comes over. They like having her over. Gary will always be in a good mood and she always takes great care of them.

She greeted them cheerfully behind her face mask and hidden in her hoodie. They carried the lunch boxes and walked the short distance to the office. He was already waiting for her at the door of the 2nd floor office. The moment she walked in, he gathered her in a hug while the others walk around them to get into the office’s pantry.  They are used to it and left them alone.

“Oh how much I missed you!” Jihyo hugged him extra tight today. “Are you OK dear?” He felt something was different with her.

“I just need to see you.  You’ve been away for two weeks!” She looked up into his eyes. He was smiling lovingly at her and kissed her briefly. “Stay here with me while I work today?” He suggested. He had work to do.  They’re planning for tour concert in a few months and they are also recording their new album to be released before the tour.

“How was your filming?” He was still holding her in his embrace and her cheeks lightly.  “Tiring! But it’s just the beginning. It’ll be more hectic once they get into it.” She released herself from him and pulled him to the pantry to eat. “Let’s eat… I’m hungry!”

The staff were already eating in the small pantry. Only one chair was vacant. A staff stood up to let them sit. Jihyo held him down. “It’s ok. You’re eating. I can wait.” Gary sat at the table and pulled her to sit on him. “She can sit on me. Don’t mind us and eat.” Gary act as if it is normal of them to sit that way. She was blushing but didn’t move from him. Instead, she took prepared the lunch for him and herself and ate together. The staff admiring the scene happening in front of them. They felt happy that their boss is happy. She was very attentive to him. Making sure he eats his fill.

After lunch they retreated to gary’s little private office for some private time.

“You’re writing…” She touched the yellow papers scattered on his desk. “.. of you” he continued her sentence with his deep voice. He hugged her from behind. “I have to record in an hour.” He whispered.

“Ok.. we’ll just hangout and I’ll leave when you start.” She didn’t want to interfere with his work. He hugged her tighter. “Don’t leave. Stay here. You take a nap here while I work. I’ll wake you up when I’m done. We have filming tomorrow. I’ll stay with you tonight. Is that ok?” She turned around to look at him. “That’s great!” But can you lay here with me while waiting to record?” She pulled him towards the couch he uses as a bed whenever he works overnight. He sat at the end and she lay her head on his lap.  He was practicing his rap, reading his lyrics in one hand and the other hand holding hers while she tries to sleep listening to his calm rap about her. “I love you” she whispered, falling asleep. He watched with a smile in his face. He is happy just by having her with him like that. 

After 3 hours he went into his office to see her  still sleeping where he left her. “She must be really tired. 3 hours!” he thought to himself as he walked near her and kneeled on the floor in front of the couch. He watched her. She sensed him near her and opened her eyes just to make sure it’s him. “You’re done?” she asked half asleep, eyes closing but her hand reached out to him. “I need to sleep a little more. Lie with me for a while” She was pulling him to her. He readily lay himself beside her and she lay her head on his chest and snuggled close. “This feels good. Keep me warm..” and she drifted off to sleep. He was tired too. He later joined her.

“Oppa…” she was calling softly looking down on him as she leaned up from him. He is getting used to that voice.  He opened his eyes looking for the person calling him. It can’t be his staff calling him in such a way. The blurred vision finally found its focus and he smiled. The face he’s been wishing to wake up to for so long.

“Have enough sleep?” he held her cheek. She nodded “the best sleep in so long! I needed that. Thank you” He sat himself up along with her, holding on to her hip. “So where are we going now? My place? Or do you want to go for a stroll by the river?” He knows she enjoys strolls by the river at night when the crowd is less. Her face changed. She remembered she promised to keep things private and avoid being in public.

“Why? What’s wrong?” She had been silent for too long, he had to ask.  “Oh, nothing… it’s just that we’ve been caught before and my company’s not happy about it…” His mood changed. He was getting upset with what he was hearing.

She held both his cheeks in her hand to make him face her. “It will cool down after a while… Meanwhile, think it as having more alone time together… at your place.” She tried cooling him down. “Or do you not want to spend time alone with me?” she pretended to be sulking and he instantly panicked. “No, no! I’d love to!” She smiled knowing she’d won him over and kissed him as consolation. “Then, let’s go before the streets get busy” she stood up and pulled him along. He went willingly.

….

Jihyo was busy texting on the phone while Gary cooked dinner.  She was standing against the kitchen island, not paying full attention to him while he talked.  He noticed she was busy texting and didn’t mind.  He does that too when he has work to settle.

When he finished cooking he finally turn to really look at her.

“Hey, why the frown? Anything I can help?” He was plating the food and carrying it out to the dining table while he talked. Jihyo put away the phone realizing he had done cooking. She let out a sigh, followed after him and caught him in a hug when he turned.

“What’s wrong?” he whispered softly. His hand caressed the back of her head and the other holding her tight in the hug. “Hold me for a while… I need some peace” He stood there in silence. Letting her calm down.  She gathered herself and release the hold on him. “Hmmm.. I’m good now” she smiled to convince him although he is not fully convinced. He didn’t want to bother her with it.

“Come, sit down and eat.”He pulled the chair for her.  The moment she sat down he leaned down to give her a peck on the cheek before sitting down next to her. Surprised by his action, she smiled a happy smile. “I miss that smile!” he winked and made her smile even more. She reached out her hand for his on the table.

“Thank you.  You always know what to do with me”

“Let’s just enjoy our time together now. Eat this and then you’re going to play the Xbox with me… Then, you can choose a movie and we’ll cuddle” She smiled again and forgot her trouble.

She loves how he makes her do what he wants to do although other guys would just let her choose every single thing she wants to do. She loves having a man in control and let her do things with him instead of him doing it with his friends.  She likes being involved with her man.  He treats her as a girlfriend and a friend. He can be very romantic at times but he too treats her casually like she’s one of his friends he that has fun with.  She likes seeing that side of him too.  It gives her a sense of real in her world of fake people.

She had fun playing on the game console. She is not good at it but he was very patience in teaching her.  He purposely lost to her a few times to encourage her.  He loves watching her shriek and shout while playing.  He loves seeing her let go of that rigidity and that mask she puts on all the time.  He loves to see her in her realest form.

“OK… let’s stop… Let’s watch your movie now.” And he knows just the right time to stop. She appreciates how he observe her and do things to accommodate her. He put away the controllers and leaned back on the couch while changing the TV channel. He pulled her back to lean on him and handed her the remote for her to choose a movie. She scrolled thru the movie and he was watching her the whole time. He didn’t notice she had chosen a movie until she turned and caught him looking. She smiled proudly seeing that face full of love for her. She didn’t say anything but cuddled up to him.

“Are you feeling ok?” He started talking while they watched the romantic movie. “This right now is the best therapy.. I’m lucky to have you here.”

“You want to talk about what’s bothering you?”

“It’s just the normal company thing… They fuss over the small things. I’m just tired with all the schedule. They’re taking on more projects and I can’t say no”

“Isn’t that what you want? You’re building your name now, that’s why you’re getting all those offers”

“Yeah… I want to have that. But I also need my rest. I need time with you too. Packing up my schedule won’t allow me much time to do other things. Will you be OK?”

He knows she’s having lesser time to spend with him and hearing that it’s going to get worse for him. He wants to be able to see her often. “It’s OK.. I will try to cope with it. I work on my time so I think I can arrange it around yours.  It’s your dream, I should not be the reason you put it on hold.” He didn’t want her to worry although he doubted himself to be as accommodating when the time comes. He should start worrying too.

“Thank you… I will try too.  Please bear with me. I need you around.  I can’t handle the stress alone.” And she didn’t mean her work schedule.  She was thinking of what her manager had been texting her the whole day.

Both of them drifted off in their thoughts while the movie played in front of them. Both were worried but found the comfort in each other. She wished she hadn’t signed the contract.  He wished he can buy her out of the contract. He has the money but he know he doesn’t have the mean to make her a big star. His industry and hers move in different ways.  He’s independent and she’s in a very controlled environment where a few big companies control how the industry moves. She would be out of job if she was to leave and let him manage her. He knows she would have taken the risk if he suggested but he would not let her take the risk. He wanted her to achieve what she set out to do before meeting him. He should not be the reason she put in on hold. He doesn’t want her to look back and regret the things she didn’t achieve.

He was going to let her do what she has to do.  He would just be around to protect her as much as he can. He knows he is going to miss having her around but he had been through so much struggle to know in order to achieve success, you have to forgo certain things. He’s willing to sacrifice.