Chapter 13

Love Happens... Beyond Monday

“Two weeks off… way to welcome summer!” HaHa was jumping like a happy kid at the airport. “Let’s go on vacation hyung” He was directing the question towards Jongkook and Gary walking next to him.
Gary didn’t hear the question.  He was glancing backwards too frequently to check for Jihyo. “Sure.. let’s go off to some private beach. I’ll ask around… just be ready to go” Jongkook was in a mood for a vacation after the tiring shoot in Bangkok. The lack of response from Gary made them look his way. He was watching Jihyo talking to Kwangsoo.
Jongkook nudged his shoulder and he turned to look at them with a blank face. “What??”
“You’re falling too deep, man!” Jongkook shook his head. “Careful with your heart.  You’ve been hurt before. I’ve known her for some time.  She is quite the mystery.  Just don’t fall too deep too soon.  You’re my brother. Take it slow.” Jongkook cared for Gary. He had seen him hurt badly.  This may just be him getting over the previous relationship. He thought it was too soon.  Gary nodded, putting a note on his mind about what he said.
Jaesuk caught on. “Gary, I need to talk to you about something. Ride home with me.” He wanted to ride on the company van with the others. He wanted more time with her but he could not say no to Jaesuk. He walked on towards Jaesuk’s car rushing his goodbye with the other members. Jihyo looked on in confusion.  She wanted more time with him on the ride home too. He signaled to her that he will call her later.
….
“Gary ya… I am talking to you as a brother. I sort of brought you on to this show, so it’s my responsibility to make sure you stay long on the show.” Gary gulped realizing how serious Jaesuk is. He kept quiet and nodded.
“I know you’ve been falling for her the moment you saw her on the set.  In fact, I see the same reaction many times before.  I guess she has that special charm.” Gary looked up at him with a question on his face. “Yes, many guys had fallen for her. As far as I know, nobody got that far. But I may not know the real stories since I never asked and they never tell. She is actually quite a mystery to us all. We know her well but we don’t know her stories. She doesn’t tell.  She keeps things private.” Gary nodded as he listened on. “So I hope you don’t hope for too much too soon. I’ve seen you going through a bad relationship.  I don’t want you hurt again.” Gary’s head bent down, sighing. He was already heart-broken hearing the possibility of not having her.
“To look at it differently, I have never seen anyone get this far with her. By the look of it, she is also into you.” Gary lifted his head with renewed hope. Jaesuk didn’t want to be negative towards them.  He just wanted him to know his views and consider them. “So I don’t actually know where both of you are heading. So I would just advise you to keep your heart safe.  Take it slow. I don’t mean to ruin your happiness right now. But I just want you to be realistic. And you’re not used to dating a celebrity.  It is different. But I know you’ll get used to it if you take it slow. So my advice is.. go slow. If it’s meant to be, it will be.” He patted him on the back.
“Thank you, hyung.  I’ll try to remember that. The problem is… I’ve fallen deep. The women before her had never had this effect on me. She is different. But I thank you for your concern. I’ll try to take it slow. And I’ll prove to you she is the one for me… Slowly.”
….
“Jaesuk wanted to talk to me… I can’t say no. Sorry I didn’t say goodbye properly…”
“It’s OK, oppa. I think Jaesuk is worried about you being with me.  He had been telling me to handle your heart carefully” Gary was surprised to know Jaesuk had talked to her about it. “Jaesuk oppa has been around since I started in the industry.  He had seen me through ups and downs although we have never been close until I came on his show. He always wants the best for the people around him.. including me and you.”
“So what did you tell him?” Gary wanted to know how she feels. “I was actually offended at first.” She laughed remembering it. “I felt like I was not good enough for you. But I figured he knows you better and I had never let him get to know me better. I told him I’d take his words and handle it well. I told him, I won’t lead you on unless I am sure of how I feel towards you.”
“I assume you’re sure now? We’ve gone this far..” He smiled asking the question. “Well… I was attracted to you long before I even met you. Now that I’ve known you… I think I’m sure I want you. Unless you want to change my mind about you..”
“No!” that was a sure and fast answer. He didn’t need to think and it made her smile. “I want you more each day. I am missing you terribly right now.”
“Why don’t you come over tomorrow? Pick me up and we can go on a date somewhere.”
“Where do you want to go?”
“I’ll leave it to you to… I wouldn’t mind anywhere. Just make sure it’s not too open a place. We’re quite famous lately. I would not want to risk a scandal when we’re just climbing up. Besides I just signed a contract with a no public relationship clause. Can’t risk that either”
“You shouldn’t have signed with the company…”
“How would I know I would really be dating you back then??” Her soft laugh was like music to his ears. “Well, it’s too late now. I signed on for 3 years. We’ll just have to keep it a secret. Luckily we have a loveline for cover.”
“Yeah…” He was not sure he would love the idea of keeping it a secret.  He is a free soul. He had been free in expressing himself. He would have to learn to put some limit to it.

“Jongkook hyung texted me… He got a private villa until the weekend. Do you want to go?”  Gary got straight to the question once she answered his call.
“But… I am not used to being around them for long… it has always been for work…” she hesitated.
“Is it OK if I go? Or do you want me to stay here with you?” Gary was not sure if she wants him around. He was not informed of her schedule.
“Actually I have a schedule for a photoshoot Sunday morning… I am free until then…” she paused to think.
“And?” he asked when it took too long for her to continue.
“Where is the villa?”
“I am not sure but he said it’ll be a two hours’ drive…”
“I’ll go.” She cut in.
“Seriously??” he was not hoping on it. He was hoping she would ask him to stay with her. He got better than he hoped for.
“Sure. I think it’s about time I spend time with them… We work together, and they are your bestfriends. Can you ask Kwangsoo too? Just in case it gets awkward with me… at least I have him”
“I guess I can’t do that for you… ok, I’ll ask Kwangsoo..” his tone did not sound too happy with what she said.
“No, honey… it’s not that! I wanted someone who can speak on my behalf if they are going to discuss us… Kwangsoo knows me and he will speak up for me when you’re not around…”
“Wait… did you just call me honey?” His focus was not on Kwangsoo anymore,
“I did??” she slipped it off her tongue.
“You did.. I love the sound of it…” She heard his wide smile.
“Then, I’ll use it more often… but in private. Ok?” she said fishing for more smiles from him although she can’t see it. She has pictures of him in her mind, she can imagine him well.
“They tell me to take it slow… you’re making me fall so fast.”
“I am falling with you..” She convinced him with a smile in her voice. “So when are we going to the villa?” She changed the subject before they get into serious talk about their relationship.
“Tomorrow morning. Do you want to ride with them or just me?”
“Do you mind riding with me alone? But I don’t mind if you want to ride with them. I would understand.”
“I would love to ride alone with you! It’s our first road trip together. I’ll pick you up at 8 tomorrow?”
“No… you pack up your things today and come over to my place when you’re done. Would that be ok?” she knows his answer but asked anyway. “That would be the best!”
….
Jongkook, HaHa and Kwangsoo had no problem riding together.  They were bonding as brothers on the ride to the villa. Gary was driving his car behind them. Jihyo’s hand in his most of the time. Catching up and learning of each other’s lives.
“I didn’t think Jihyo would want to come… I have worked with her before and we do hangout but she never like showing her private life. It was always kept secret” Jongkook was surprised to see the change. “I know right!” Kwangsoo joined it. “I’ve known her for quite some time… Her love life is always kept private although she dated among us. This is quite different… and nice to see her open up”
“And Gary hyung is so happy… I have not seen him that happy for so long… He was captivated by her since day 1. It’s good to see them together.” HaHa knows all his story and was smiling at the image of Gary smiling like a fool for Jihyo.
“An odd pairing initially but I guess after a while we all see how they look so good together. Let’s just let them enjoy this vacation and we will leave them alone..” They all agreed on it.
Jihyo was a happy girl for the next three days having three brothers fussing over her and having one man dedicated to make her happy.  She didn’t hold back. She held on to him whenever she felt like it. She didn’t mind the other three watching. She felt free. She never liked showing off her affection towards her boyfriend.  This is different.  She wanted to show it off.  She wanted people to know Gary is hers. She is proud to do so. Just not in public when it brings more harm.

“Hyung, do you think you can get a few days extension for our stay here?” HaHa didn’t want to go home just yet.  He is enjoying the privacy and comfort. No cameras, lazing around all day without a mission to accomplish. All of them had the same thought.
“I have a photoshoot in 2 days, I have to go back tomorrow. But I’ll check if you want to stay.” He was looking at Gary and Jihyo for their answers. Jihyo was lounging on the couch, her left leg crossed over Gary’s. Gary’s hand naturally placed on her thigh. Her head leaning on his shoulder. “I don’t have anything on til Sunday. I can stay if you want to” she looked at Gary, she was leaving it up to him.  
Gary turned to look at her. “Sure, I’ll just reschedule the recording. 2 days enough?” He was smiling, loving the idea of spending more time with her. She nodded. “Oppa, can we have 2 more days here?” She directed it towards Jongkook. “Thank God I don’t have to watch you two for long.” He was joking.  He loves seeing the couple.  They thought the couple was thoughtful enough to have joined in all their activities instead of doing things on their own.  They thought Jihyo had changed a lot.
“OK, got an extension… you’ll have to more nights after tonight. I’ll go back at noon tomorrow.  Let’s cook dinner now!” The whole gang was hyped up. Gary had always led the cooking.  He owns a restaurant with Gil, he is very hands on in managing his business.  He knows a lot about food.
Jihyo enjoys watching Gary cook. He enjoys doing things for friends. He would make a great host to any party. She assisted him. Enjoying Gary cracking random jokes while they cooked. The others were grilling in the garden.
Jihyo’s phone rang. Her manager from the agency. “I’m fine thank you…” Gary heard her talking on the phone. “ I am with the Running Man members… we took some time off for a short vacation.” Then, Gary saw her listening to the person on the other end for quite a while. She was nodding and agreeing to it. She had her serious and focused face on.
“You manager?” Gary asked as soon as she ended the call.  She nodded and sighed. She leaned against the kitchen counter and stared through him. Something was bothering her.
“Want to talk to me about it?” Gary stopped what he was doing and stood in front of her.  “Somebody got pictures of us in the car.. He said it was last week..” Gary knew what was coming. “The agency warned me about the contract. I am not supposed to be involved with anybody.”
“What kind of rule is that?? Nobody is supposed to know when they’re going to fall in or out of love!” He was upset but kept his voice low, not wanting to put the pressure on her. “It is in most of the contracts. It is just that we do date but in private and pictures are not supposed to be captured. Now that they have pictures of us, it’s costing the agency to buy them so they don’t get published anywhere… That is why the management is upset.” She tried explaining the situation to him. “They would pay using my money… I don’t mind since it was my mistake but I am just stressed out with what they’re saying..”
He reached out to hold her hand. “I’m sorry to cause you this trouble.  I would pay for all that. But can you please promise me to not enter into a contract like this after this ends? You are a free woman. Nobody should restrict you from doing anything especially when it involves your personal life.”  She didn’t want to talk more about it. She knows Gary has his own ways and own mind. He would not understand. She is not ready to hear of what he has to say.
She released his hold on her hands and stretched her hand around his waist to hug him close. “Let’s forget this and enjoy this time together. We just have to be careful not to be seen in public in the future.” He hugged tight to comfort her and himself.
“As long as you’re here with me, I don’t care what happens out there.” He released her and pulled her near the stove. “Taste this… Let me know if it’s not to your liking… I’ll put more love in it just let me know how much more you want... I have loads to put in” His cheesy words never failed to make her smile. She finds comfort and happiness in his simple words. She made a note to talk to her management about him. She can’t leave him now.