Chapter 3

Love Happens... Beyond Monday

Her phone beeped. She was lazing around in the house, lying on the sofa, still tired from the Running Man filming.  She was remembering the things that happened during filming and was smiling at the memory. The phone beeped just when Gary was jumping off the diving board after singing to calm himself. The replay in her mind halted. She was still smiling, reaching out to her phone on the coffee table beside her.

Cho PD texted to ask if she’s free to receive a phone call.  She texted back. And in 5 seconds her phone is ringing. 

“what’s up brotha?” faking her ghetto accent to greet her good friend on the phone.

“Hahahaha! I see you’re getting the hiphop feel now huh?” She blushed at that. He knew something!

“I was just calling to ask you about the filming. From that greeting alone, I believe you had a good time yesterday!”

“Of course I did. You knew the reason I went on the show. We have been friends for so long, you know I’ve always wanted to see him. And you knew I’d say yes right away. And do you even have to ask if I had a good time yesterday?”

“Hahaha! Of course, of course.  I had to ask. You weren’t quite yourself yesterday, I thought you may be uncomfortable since you’re not familiar with them”

“I wasn’t uncomfortable, it’s my first time with most of them and you didn’t even tell me what to do.  I work with scripts, I am not used to having to come up with my own words with people I barely know.  But it was fun. Your show is really good. It will be a big hit! Do invite me every now and then please.  I could use some workout and some laughs in this boring life of mine”

“Of course! I was going to ask you about that too. The company wants a female on the permanent cast. So I am considering you.  Would you go on a few more episodes and then I’ll convince the others to take you in.” Jihyo was already jumping up and down her hand on , trying not to shout out her excitement. “Errmmm maybe.. I’ll think about it” she let it dragged for a few seconds “of course, I’d want to! You know I’d love to!”

“No, I don’t know” Cho PD did not know for sure she’d want it.  Now he is curious as a friend. “Is it him? Seriously Jihyo?”

“Partly. I have not been receiving jobs nowadays. People are forgetting me and probably have forgotten what’s in the past.  I am almost 30, near the end of my career so maybe I should give this one last try before I decide to quit for good.  Why not right? Besides, I have always been curious about him, you know it.”

“Yes, I know.  But what if you fall for him? What if he doesn’t want to be in a love line with you? Can you be professional about it?”

“Yaaa! I didn’t tell you I like him. I am curious about him since all of you have been talking so fondly of him. I want to belong to the group.  I had fun yesterday.  The group is so well chosen, they are all different and there is something that brings them together.  They are honest.  You know… being in this industry, that is a rare quality. And to have a show that is based on that quality would be great.  At least people will get to know me and try to understand me.  I’ve been through so many bad things in my life, it’s about time they see the real me. I never said anything and I won’t say anything about the past.  I want people to accept me as I am” the mood is starting to get mellow.  Deep inside, Jihyo is still affected by her past.  She is still afraid of making big move.

“Are you sure? You’ve been telling me you’re afraid to make a big move in your life. This show will at least put you back in the limelight and if things are good it will probably make you a household name. Can you do it? We planned it to be big, that’s why we have Jaesuk on the cast.” Cho knows how she suffered.  He is one of those friends that had stayed around when most left. Cho was worried she could not handle it and it may break her further if the public turns against her.

“I think this is the best opportunity I can get.  Those people you chose are as pure and kind as you.  I think they will be my support system. I think I can get along well. You know I am tough.” She’s determined. She changed to a cheerful tone “Can I please be on the show? Please… pleaseee… you’re my big brother, do a favor for your little sis.. please”

“How can I say no to that? I will try my best to convince them.  You try your best to convince them too ok. There are a few female candidates that will appear.  We had chosen our list.  But we will live it to the six members who they would most want to work with”

“Thank you! However it turns out, I am going to fight for this!”

….

Gary had just woken up. Walked up to the kitchen and grabbed a box of apple juice from the fridge. “I thought they’d make it less tiring but this week’s filming is way more tiring that the last one!” he thought to himself. His whole body is aching. He has not been working out lately, he is not fit. Even the fit Jongkook would have said yesterday was the most tiring day of his life. He texted the group chat for the 6 members.

Gary: Good morning! Wake up wake up! Wake up and shine, the sky is beautiful today kekeke

Kwangsoo: Ayyyyy ! I don’t want to get out of my blanket… I don’t want bright light!

Jongkook: I am heading to the gym now, wanna join me?

Gary: What?!!!! Now it’s confirmed, I am not fit. *sigh*

Jongkook: Hahaha. Let’s train together next time. Btw, why are you up early and what’s with the bright sky? So happy in the morning!

Gary: kekeke… I just feel good today.  Yesterday was really tiring but fun. I think I love this show already.

Kwangsoo: Can you please not chat now… my phone is beeping, I can’t sleep!

Gary: Hahaha ok ok sorry I will get to work now. Have a good day!

 

Gary’s work is a few meters away.  That desk near the window where he writes.  He calls it his creative spot. In his boxer shorts and T-shirt, he sits at the desk.  The Seoul skyline on his right looking like a painting.  He bought the house for that view.  He wanted floor to ceiling window for the unobstructed view. At the other corner,  a balcony he rarely goes out to because the apartment is too high up on the 17th floor. He looked in front of him towards the balcony. “That is the most romantic place in this house. I have not brought a girl here yet to enjoy that view of the river. $100,000 more for that view just so one day I can enjoy many romantic evenings out there”.

He penned the lyrics about wanting to have someone that will make the balcony a fine piece of art with her presence. To him, words come easily. He makes a living out of it.  He bought this house with those words. He is famous in the industry, having penned lyrics for so many before, but the public doesn’t know him as a lyricist.  He didn’t want the fame.  He did it because he love what he is doing and when a friend asks, he can’t say no to them.

While writing on the lined white paper, he was imagining the girl.  He was writing down the characteristics of the girl. y wavy hair like Beyonce, perfect body, great make-up, in a simple short white dress, a classic lady that is picture perfect for magazines. Ending the list he was putting them all together to create the vision. He suddenly stopped. The vision he saw in his mind was totally different from what he had written. The girl in shorts and T-shirt, hair wrapped up in a towel, bare-faced. He was shocked and confused. “Why does she appear all of a sudden?”

That vision was from when he was on top of the diving platform attempting to jump. He is afraid of jumping.  He was scared.  He saw her watching him. She didn’t smile. He was trying to figure out what that expression on her face was. For a brief moment he was caught up in it, he forgot he was on the edge attempting to jump. He remembered clearly how scary it was once he got back to reality. He tried to calm himself. He sang a random song and everybody broke out in laughter. He saw that smile on her face and jumped off. He came out of the water so peacefully because his heart felt like it was filled while he jumped.