Wake Up Call

God of Mischief

The first day following the concert came like a thundering bang. Or was it, really? Suyeon hoped for a storm that will rack up a rouse in her life but in the end there was nothing more but a lapping wave at the edge of her toes. As she woke up the morning after, feet sore and back aching, grabbing blindly onto the ringing alarm at her nightstand, the first thing Suyeon did was to look up the net to see if anything was mentioned about her, about the incident from the day before.

Sure enough, there was a headline written in capslock at the web bulleting, “KYUHYUN KISSING A RANDOM GIRL” or something. Suyeon couldn’t help but muster up a small grin, one hand shyly covering half of her grime covered face as she somehow felt a sense of pride.

Look at that mom, I’m friggin famous.

But the next moment, some kind of realization hit her square on the stomach, turning it around in an upside down rollercoaster.

“What the hell did I do?” She croaked up a whisper.

Staring ahead to her blank ceiling, all the flashback from yesterday rushed over her memory in rapid succession. The flurry of pink post its, the note she had written on it, the fact that she might have stupidly gave away her private cell number to dozens of strangers.

It almost felt like she was waking up from a heavy hangover, drunk on adrenaline from the day before.

But even through all that, Suyeon realised that she still has that grin on her face. She would be lying if she said that she’s not in the least bit interested on where the action of her drunken self would’ve taken her.

The second day came and went as usual. Lulling and sleep deprived. Sipping on cups of coffee as she waited for customers to enter her barren café, where she acted as the sole worker. Her manager excused herself to the bathroom an hour ago and hadn’t come back since. Suyeon figured she had left her for dead alone in this sleepy wasteland until her other co-worker turn up for his shift duty.

Typical Tuesday afternoon. Nobody was here.

Suyeon had hoped that she would get recognized at the street. People would look at her, sneer, whisper behind her back or something to the likes of that. But nothing happened. Nothing at all. She walked down the street and everything was normal. People had their earphones jammed to their ears and so did she. They looked at their phone, their eyes and thumbs dancing across the screen. So did Suyeon, in the end.

Even her manager, who was an avid fan of K-pop, didn’t even strike up any particular conversation with her.

“Was the concert good?”

Suyeon’s heart raced as she began to prepare for a break down of her big news, “Yes! And do you know tha-,”

“Great, now can you please wash that teapots?”

Curses.
 


 

The third day came and Suyeon’s pent up emotion started to converge in on her. She had Chaeyoon’s phone ready to dial all day long. The menacing green orb stared at her like the eyes of an overly cheery Cyclops.

Come! Come and push me down! Yessss push me, PUSH MEE. 

Who else though, who else could she go to vent out this steam inside of her? Her parents would only laugh at it, her mom would probably scold her for doing such stupid thing of violating people’s privacy’s right. Suyeon didn’t need her mom to remind her of that. With each of the ticking clock, the guilt and embarrassment that she felt grew only bigger.

Her coworkers could care less. They don’t really listen to K-pop, those people. She failed her attempt with her manager, and that was it for her chance on her workplace.

University friends were even more a hopeless cause. Do they care? Yes. Do they know who she was talking about? No. Will they cut her in the middle of her story to start on a more accepted topic? Most likely.

There was only one more left. Chaeyoon.

Should she? Should she should she should she?!

it, she’s high on caffeine and they could always laugh them off as something silly or .

Ring Ring. Ring Ring.

Helloooo Chaeyoon speaking!

Suyeon felt her heart suddenly jumped into a rapid beating, only to trip on its own heels when she realized that it was only a voice mail.

Sorry I can’t talk to you right now, you can leave your message after the beep. In three, two, one, beee-

Suyeon terminated the connection before the long beep ended. Now it was all back to the staring contest with the green eyes Cyclops.

Try me again, try me agaiinnnn.' 

No.
 



By the end of the week Suyeon had lost all hope. Her phone hadn’t ring, not even once. Well, there was that one time, but it turned out to be a life insurance marketer. She whispered a monotonous, ‘ you,’ before disconnecting the line.

She checked the tabloid website every morning in almost a routine like quality. Suyeon didn’t even know what she was looking for anymore when she saw dozens of those silly ‘look what they’re wearing today’ articles that pilled up on top of her headline.

Chaeyoon was still missing. Suyeon speculated she was in one of those weekly nature outing. No hope for contacting her until next week then.

Her work was still as busy as a cemetery. As in only filled with ghostly thoughts of her own. The daily till didn’t even reach three hundred thousand won.

“This is great,” she sighed out loud, chin perched on top of her palm as she lazily flipped through a health food magazine, looking at the hundredth recipe for healthy vegetable smoothie that looked somehow like a baby vomit. When suddenly, the doorbell on top of the front door rang.

Suyeon didn’t answer right away, too lazy to be bothered. Her manager was probably getting her pants on fire from the scream filled phone calls of the chain owner at the back room. ‘Where are the customeeersss!’ they often yelled. Well, it was the spring break, so Suyeon guessed everyone was gone from the city, vacationing. The chain owner didn’t listen though.

So she left the potential customer waiting in front of the counter. ‘Whatever,’ she though, ‘Let them wait. Let their need for coffee intensifies until it seeped out from every pores of their being.'

The customer also seemed to be not in a hurry. Lounging around and staring at the picture frame adorned wall while Suyeon took all her times in the world to fold up the edge of the page she was reading, closed the magazine with careful precision, and sliding it back onto the stack of book under her feet before she even pushed herself up from her seating position. Even then she still took her time to brush out the wrinkles from her black apron.

“May I help you?” The fake smile on her face made her sound much more cheerful than what she intended to sound. Her voice almost chirped like one of those tiny birds singing in the morning.

“Yes,” her customer had his back on her. He had on him a nice dressy pants and a gray shirt. Eyeballing it, Suyeon guessed that this man was from the business district located just across her coffee shop’s block. Although suddenly this gentleman unceremoniously fished out something that didn’t look dressy at all from the front pocket of his pants. A crumpled piece of paper.

At first, Suyeon groaned internally.

Another one of those people looking for directions.

But then, she felt her heart increased its beating pressure so hard she could feel her carotid artery bulging under the skin of her neck when she saw the colour of the paper he was holding.

Pink.

It was a pink post it.

But what are the odds,’ she shook her head firmly, mouth forming in a wide smile. She almost landed herself a firm slap across the cheek to help it stop acting so silly when the customer slowly turned around, revealing his face to Suyeon.

By the time he was fully standing in all his glory, Suyeon’s jaw was laying slack on the counter table.

“I need help finding this… Person,” Kyuhyun dauntingly waved the post it as he slowly took another step toward the counter that stood between them, then another, then another, all done with a little swagger that fittingly fit the smug grin on his face. He only stopped when the wooden bar dug ever so slightly to his stomach.

When that happened, he leaned in to the stricken Suyeon, mouth still hanging slightly open as she again was left in a partially brain dead state. Aside from her rapidly beating heart, everything in her body was rigidly planted on the ground. Even she felt her face being set in a permanent fearful frown. Eyes that followed the movement of their opposites that were looking straight at them were the only other things that moved.

“Can you?” Kyuhyun looked somehow happy, shocking this poor girl soul clean out of its husk. He had to lower his head down, severing the eye contact between them, to let out a giggle that almost sounded childish.

He continued leaning in and only stopped when her personal space was cleanly thrown out of the window, when his mouth was sitting comfortably right besides her burning red ears. And just then did he opened his mouth again, micro particles of skin brushing against each other. Suyeon felt a soft exhale of warm breath that further scorch her steaming skin as Kyuhyun whispered the words onto her,
 

“Right, eh? Lady Sigyn?”
 



A/N: Yooooo how's everybody? I hope you're all well :) Here's the next chapter~~ Sorry if my writing style shift and change, I use this story as you know, a practice ground :P Anyways, I hope you like it!