Ballad of Front Desk Ladies

God of Mischief

“Don’t forget to smile!” the echo of Hana’s voice lingered long after she had left the building.

Ah yes, smiling. It seems that it is not something of a natural talent I was born with. Three weeks have I worked in this place, and the complaints of how the front desk looks too stressed wouldn’t stop pouring.

Damn those HRD people.

Soo here I am! Jumping from one mundane job of a chain coffee shop cashier, to another mundane job of being a front desk lady. Well, I have to admit it pays much better. Although in the end, I only get a share of 50% from my total monthly wage… All because of that bastard. Curse him. Curse him to hell!

Calm down now, Suyeon, you don’t want to scare those business people away with your death stare, don’t you?

He made me sign a waiver, that bastard. One that entitled him 50% of annual wage, send straight to his already bulging bank account. And that means I’m stuck here for another year and a half before our 2 million won agreement is met.

Good lord heaven above… That’s a long time of sitting idly doing nothing from 9 to 5 for three days a week, occasionally redirecting phone calls and jotting down meetings for those higher ups, don't forget giving directions to the bathroom…

Yawn.

Hana though, Hana’s always been the highlight of my day. Fun and chatty, she never seem to run out from all the juicy insider gossips of those idols’ daily life. Maybe I should consider selling them to the tabloids or something? Especially if she ever told me one about Kyuhyun, preferably the more embarrassing ones. The worse the better, you know?

Unfortunately, our shift only overlapped for once in a week, and even then she only worked half a day. In the end, she always left me alone… Bored… Sleepy…

And dreading-slash-anticipating for the phone call.

That. That phone call is another reason for me to maintain my hatefulness toward Kyuhyun. Because let’s just be honest here. He’s hot. Rich. Famous. And… well, not that bad of a companion to keep around.

BUT.

He’s such a nuisance that… I just can’t! I cannot not hold some sort of grudge toward him.

Okay so the phone call. One that always came at 5 PM sharp. Preventing me from ever going home on time. Always, it will always make me go home late, sometimes up till 30 minutes because THOSE PEOPLE WHO ASKED FOR WHERE THE TOILET IS WOULD NOT STOP COMING.

I can just unplugged the phone, yes, don’t you dare tell me I didn’t try that. I did. And it almost cost me my job. You see, the CEO or the high chairman or whoever those 1% people who live with all the riches, they called. Out of all days. Out of all people working here, they decided to call the front desk. Why? I don’t know! But in the end they complained and I became the of Kyuhyun's jokes for the rest of the week. Nice.

4:55 now. There is a frown seething just underneath my skin, but I had to maintain my cheery smile to greet that first wave of bored looking behind-the-desk people who flooded out from the lift adjacent to my desk. Doing my job here. Avoiding any more letters from Han the HRD guy.

Ugh… added to this the fact that I still need to freshen up for a date. A date! I don’t want to look like a preppy school teacher on a date?? Well, except maybe you know, he has that kind of kink? But anyways… I just hope he doesn’t mind me being late. Maaybe I can cheat by reapplying my lipstick now?

And so I reached down for my purse at the corner of the desk, grabbing blindly with my cheek pressed to the cold marble desk, the menacing phone filling my vision to the brim with its beige plastic. A sigh escaped my lips when my fingers was secured around the tube of lipstick and I resumed back to my formal posture of straight back, although my eyes were still wandering elsewhere, not noticing the standing figure in front of me. Not until he let out a cough.

The cough sounded familiar, and with that I noticed something off. It’s 5 PM already, and the phone hasn’t ringed. It always, always came at 5 PM sharp. So that could only mean…

“Excuse me ma’am,” my suspicion was confirmed when I heard that voice, and a scowl was immediately formed on my face before the last syllable finished travelling through the air.

“What are you doing here,” seeing that the culprit of my usual reason for going home late was standing right in front of me, I didn’t bother anymore and began to pack my stuffs, ready to head off for my date.

“What are you doing,” Kyuhyun bounced back the question.

“Getting ready to go home?” I said while slinging my purse over my shoulder. But as I walked over to the exit door at the side of my desk, he did the same. By the time I was standing in front of the wooden barrier, I could see his hands were clutching the latch that kept the door locked. Seems like I’m just never destined to go home on time…

“Move.”

He didn’t heed my warning. Even when I added the magic word he wouldn’t listen. Only smiling there, shaking his head. What’s he even doing here?!

I took a glance at the clock. 5:10. Damn. I’m really going to be late. Kyuhyun doesn’t show any sign that he’s going to relent anytime soon. So I just whispered, ‘why not’ and climbed onto the marble desk, side stepped the Plexiglas counter, and landed on the carpeted floor with a daring jump. Let those people stare. I looked cool when I did that anyway.

I shot a winning grin to Kyuhyun, but he looked bored. A shrug while he said, “not bad, but predictable.”

Annoyed and with my dignity kind of half chipped, I just flapped my arms and exasperatedly asked, “what are you even doing here?”

Kyuhyun seemed to suddenly regain something… different out of thin air and excitedly walked toward me. So gleeful he was, it essentially looked like he hopped his way through. He reached onto something on his pocket, “so I have this thing that I really really really wanna see but everyone’s busy sooo I was thinking…

He must’ve noticed the change on my face, because his voice began to trail to an unsure mumble. Yes, that usual frown of uncaring-ness that suddenly bloomed into a smile so bright you have to shade your eyes to safe them from going blind. Realising that my eyes were looking at something (or someone) straight past his shoulder, Kyuhyun turned around slowly, following my line of sight only to find something that may well be the most shocking view in his life.

“Hyung… What are you doing here.”


A/N: JAN JAN JAAAAAN... OMG WHO'S THAT HYUNG?!?!?! I'm sorry for not updating these past weeks, I was busy with school assignment and shizz T^T But I'm (kindda) free now soo yeah! I know I kindda jumped ahead in the storyline, I'm just not really in the mood on writing those character filled chater of her meeting with the rest of suju's member, ya know? You'll see her relationship with the group in upcoming chapters.

ALSO! HAPPY 7 JIB GUYS OMG I think this one's a solid comeback from them! What's you favourite song from the album?