Switch On/Off

God of Mischief

“She’s been under for a minute now,” Jaewa’s voice came from behind him. There was no worry or panic on it, it sounded more like he was lightly commenting on the situation.

“I know,” Kyuhyun answered back. He was standing near the waterline, eyes squinting at the horizon to determine whether that floating wisp of brown was her hair or just a piece of seaweed.

Somewhere in the distance, something that looked like tips of fingers broke through the water in between the crashing of the waves.

And then once, and then another.

Kyuhyun turned around with his eyes wide open, spelling out the words flashing in his brain, ‘OH .’

Jaewa too lost his calmness and were sitting up with his fingers bitten in between his teeth. “What should we do?” He whispered.

“Oh my God, I should save her, should I?”

After another second of silence, the bubble of reality burst and Jaewa ran up to him and pushed him to the water, “YES YOU IDIOT WHAT ELSE SHOULD YOU DO?!”

It seemed that at the same time, Kyuhyun gained back his common sense and he frantically ran toward that cloud of brown tangle, far from the sense of safety of the bed of sand underneath his feet.

She was struggling when he got his arms around her waist. Struggling so hard she almost took him down with her. With the power stronger than any men he had met, Suyeon used his head as a tool to push herself up to get an intake of oxygen.

Everyone from the group once again stopped whatever they were doing and silently watched the two human wrestled for their dear life at the far end of the beach. Until finally, Suyeon grew tired enough for her to stop flipping around and to let Kyuhyun tuck her under his arms and drag her to the shallow waters.

She was hanging there like a ragdoll, arms and legs and hair all loose and drooping while Kyuhyun was carrying her by her waist like a human sized sack of rice.

“Twice now, twice! How can these things even happen?” Siwon provided an overlooker commentary as Kyuhyun laid the half conscious Suyeon down to dry sand.

“Give her space, come on people,” he swatted his arms around, as if their concerned friends were no more than annoying little flies.

And with that, all of them seemed to remember something. Some of them say out some loud, ‘Aaaah right.’ Some began to whisper excitedly with each other and giggled. They started to took a few step backs before Sungmin let out the elephant in the room, “We will leave you to together. We’ll give you some… Privacy.”

He then snickered out loud and guided the herd of gossiping people away from the two.

Kyuhyun wanted to land a high kick on Sungmin's face, but his mind was filled with concern over Suyeon, who had her eyes half closed, her gaze empty, and mouth gaping open and close like a beached fish.

“Hey… Hey, Suyeon, are you there?” He shook her shoulders gently, trying to snap her out from her trauma induced trance.

“Su, Suyeon! Hey, come on now, wake up!” His shakings began to grow rougher. And when that also didn’t bring her around, he said to her, “if you didn’t wake up, I’m going to tell everyone you can eat a bucketful of baked sweet potato in one day. And you became VERY gassy.”

Of course he didn’t think it would work.

But lo and behold, it did. Suyeon tilted her head a bit so that she could stare him in the eyes and whispered, “don’t you dare.”

Kyuhyun let out a relieved sigh and without thinking, pulled her into a close hug, “I was afraid you’d be a vegetable for the rest of your life.”

He should’ve done that at the first place, the hug. Because it caused her heart to beat so fast her fingers started to tremble.

Please don’t pull away, please don’t. Not now,’ she repeatedly told herself. Because if he pulled away now, he would see her burning red skin and she might’ve ran back to the sea to try drowning herself once more.

But of course he pulled away, and the reaction she got was so different from what she would’ve expected coming from Kyuhyun, “oh my god, you’re baked! Do you wanna cool off under a shade or something?”

Speechless, Suyeon only nodded softly. With her permission (something that never happened before), Kyuhyun took ahold of her arm and lead her up the stairs, far away from those snickering bunch of people who began to let out tiny screams of cheers.

She didn’t really hear them though, as she was shocked right off her sandals with this alien Kyuhyun. Gentle? Mindful? Patient? Silent? Kyuhyun?! Never!

“I think I’ll be okay now,” she cautiously pulled away from his holds, then she began to motion her fingers toward the proximity of her room, “I’ll just sort myself up.”

“I’ll accompany you.”

“I’m just going to have a quick wash and I’ll join you guys again, no need for an , really?” She tried to twist herself away from this potentially awkward situation, but to no avail. Kyuhyun was relentless.

“Yeah, I’ll just wait for you outside while you do so, no biggie?”

“You can’t just go into a girls’ room like it’s a normal thing?” Suyeon’s tone suddenly shot up into one near a yell. The receptionist gave them a disinterested look of disapproval.

Kyuhyun though, didn’t care, “I read somewhere that drowning victim’s lungs could suddenly get inflamed which might lead to other complications. I don’t want you to suddenly collapse in a place where you’re alone.”

“Yea, but that’s only for victims that got water into their lungs in the first place! I did not, so I’m okay!”

“But you held your breath for almost 2 minutes! Of course something bad gonna result from that?!”

“That’s because I’m a trained swimmer and I know what to do when like that happen! I’m not a wimp, I can take care of myself!”

The loud, deliberate cough of the receptionist put a stop on this daily dose of bickering between Suyeon and Kyuhyun.

Slightly embarrassed with her predicament (well, yelling around with only her bikini on did not feel like a very empowering thing), Suyeon turned her back on Kyuhyun and brisk walked to her room. Hoping that he wouldn’t have the nerve to follow her. 

Of course he did. And so when she felt the presence of another human being behind her when she took off the elastic band around her wrist that held the key to her room, Suyeon only tiredly whispered, “you’re not gonna let this go, aren’t you?”

“Nope.”

 


 

Suyeon finally walked out from the bathroom while towel drying her hair. Her face slick with a thick application of aloe vera gel, because her skin felt unusually hot. She didn’t know if it was because of the sun, or because of this never before seen Kyuhyun hanging around her.

He was sitting on her bed while flipping through a culinary magazine. Without permission (say welcome back to that trait of his) he had put on her pajama top. It was baggy on her, but it fit nicely on him. She sarcastically on that fact, “nice shirt you got there.”

“Thanks,” Kyuhyun played straight on his answer. But looking at the unamused Suyeon who were standing with her arms folded, he felt the need to elaborate, “the air con’s a bit chilly. I need to cover up?”

He seemed to remember something before putting the magazine back to the drawer where he got it and reached for a glass of water on the nightstand. “Here, drink it,” he said as he shoved the glass at her.

Startled, Suyeon took the glass away with soft carefulness, “t… thanks?”

Kyuhyun then hopped to the edge so that there was enough room on the single bed for two people. He then patted the empty spot, signaling Suyeon to take a seat.

She did, finally, relented and took a careful sit on her own bed.

At first she planned on taking little dainty sips of the water. But the moment one drop hit her dry mouth, she couldn’t stop gobbling everything down like a thirsty men on a hot desert.

“You want more?” Kyuhyun laughed as she wiped off the droplets from the corner of . The only signal for yes was when she trusted the glass back on his hand for him to get her a refill.

When the second batch came around, Suyeon exert enough self control to hold on and not the condensation off from the surface of the glass.

“I know you were embarrassed, but you really didn’t have to go and kill yourself because of that,” he playfully gave her shoulder a hit.

Suyeon’s slow chuckle made him realize that maybe there are times where his inappropriate humor was not appreciated. 

Kyuhyun broke the silence after a bit of a struggle, like he wasn’t sure if he wanted to say these words, “I’m sorry.”

Suyeon looked at him with her eyes bugged out. She was speechless. Wow. Is it going to snow tomorrow? Because an apologizing Kyuhyun only ever show up once in a blue moon.

“Even though you kindda tried to drown me too, I’m okay with that… As long as… You know… You are… Well…”

“Safe?”

Kyuhyun shyly scratched the back of his head and sheepishly nod.

What had gotten into him? A brain-eating parasite? This is freaking creepy! A set of conversation with Kyuhyun that can’t be categorized as a bicker? The situation really set Suyeon off.

“Do you wanna go back to the beach?” Suyeon asked. She didn’t even bother to stand up, showing that she herself didn’t want to leave this room. Yet.

“I really think you should just stay here and rest,” to prove that he meant his word, Kyuhyun stepped aside and sat down on the carpeted floor to give her bed all for herself. As if that wasn’t enough chivalry for that day, he motioned for Suyeon to hand him the empty glass on her hand so he could safely put it aside on the desk.

“Wow, what’d gotten into you?” Suyeon breathed out her awe as she slowly snuggle into the covers that seemingly grew more and more comfortable under her touch. Unknowingly, she began to yawn. And one second ago she felt energetic enough to run around the beach again. Ooh trusty ol’ human brain…

“Hm?” Kyuhyun didn’t seem to catch what she said because he was busy arranging the tiny sofa plushies for the most comfortable position of sitting there on the floor with his back against the night stand. Not really the best situation for ultimate comfort, but he’d make do. He strangely didn’t really care for the hard wood against his spine, not when her sleepy face was filling the entirety of his vision.

“Never mind,” she waved another yawn off, “are you alright down there? Do you want any of my pillows?”

“No, I’m okay, thanks though,” he shifted around so that his shoulders were leaning against the crooked legs of the tiny table, “just sleep, I’ll wake you up in 30 minutes."

“Hm-kay,” she mumbled back, almost inaudibly.

Suyeon face was so close he could feel the soft blows of air from her nostril at the tip of his own nose. It went slower and slower, until it was nothing more but a soft, rolling snore.

He had his magazine open on his lap, but 5 minutes passed and he realized, sleep is contagious. The cool air from the air con, the smell of sea at the distance mingling with the fruity fragrance of the hotel’s shampoo, her snores like a very cute and dainty white noise machine, it didn’t take long before he started to nod off too.

In the end, the planned 30 minutes nap was prolonged considerably into a 4 hours slumber.

People were waiting for them at the dinner table.

And they were anxious. Anxiously excited, I mean.


A/N: Hyuyuyuuu~ How's it going readers?? Happy This is Love repackage everybody :P
I'm sorry if this chapter is lacking? I wrote it half asleep and half drunk -_- I have nothing to say lol...

PROMOTION TIME YOW!
I'm joining a 25 oneshots-in-a-year challange. You should check it out and once there, you can comment your favourite OTP/Group (aside from suju because like duh, I'll write them) and I'll write it!
You should check out the challenge and maybe join it too? Then we all would have lots of fun :P