Murky Slate

God of Mischief

“Suyeon, Suyeon open the door please,” Hana softly knocked on the door to their room. She knew it was unlocked, it was ajar, even. But it seemed that asking for a permission to come in was a right route to go.

She could hear a deep breath and a quick exhale right by the crack of the door before it swung open to reveal a dark room. Without saying anything, Suyeon walked ahead of Hana and sat down on the far end of her bed.

She blinked a few times to adapt on the sudden change of brightness of the room when Hana the light. But it seemed that she was only trying to hide the fact that she’d been crying prior to Hana’s arrival.

Hana slowly walked to Suyeon’s side, only bit by bit going through the distance so that Suyeon had enough time to stop her if she wasn’t ready to talk. But she didn’t stop her, and so Hana sat close next to her. There was just silence engulfing them. Hana hadn’t found the right moment to say something, and Suyeon was still trying to stop herself from choking up.

But the moment Hana put her hand on her shoulder, it felt like the floodgate was forced open and she couldn’t help her tears from falling.

“I don’t know,” Suyeon finally spoke in between her sobs, after they spent an amount of time just huddled together with Hana soothing her with soft shushes, “I don’t know, okay? I over reacted. I’m sorry.”

She would’ve elaborated on the fact that usually she would’ve been fine with his insults toward her, Hana knew that, as she was often a witness on such occasions. But this time, she didn’t know why, but it hurt. It personally hurt. After spending some time with someone so different, thinking that maybe, just maybe, he would’ve come out from his egomaniacal, pretentious, and borderline abusive attitude for a chance of ‘something serious’ developing between them. But now she didn’t know. Now she wasn’t sure if she was ever ready for him in the first place.

And all that stuff she couldn’t say because of her sobs was seemingly understood by Hana as she pulled her in closer and said, “it’s okay, it’s okay. Men and their stupid pig brain. Am I right?”

That sentence managed to make Suyeon laugh. “Indeed,” she pulled away from Hana, wiping her eyes from the tears in process.

“Feeling better?” Hana gave her back a few soft pats and was answered with firm nod from Suyeon, “don’t worry. I think Jungsoo is giving him his deserved lesson right about… Now.”

Then Suyeon was all out laughing, “serves him right.” And when it toned down, her puffy eyes shot wide open and there was a wide genuinely excited smile on her lips as she asked Hana about her own romantic escapade, “how did it go earlier?! Fun?”

Hana too, jumped up and down in excitement, “very! Oh my gosh I can’t say enough thanks to you for doing that!”

“You’re lucky, he’s a great man,” and with that, Suyeon wondered. She could’ve had it all with Jungsoo. Perfect relationship, no fuss guaranteed, no tears and screams and yells hanging low in the near future. Why didn’t she grasp on it like it was her life line?

Hana seemed to wonder too, as she asked Suyeon a similarly sounding question. And her answer was simple, “I guess I just didn’t feel the ‘it’.”

“And do you feel the ‘it’ with that son of a ?”

Suyeon bit her lips at first, then shrugged her shoulders. Trying not to admit the truth. She’d felt it, absolutely. Because saying it would make it look like it was set into stone and could never be reversed.

But what the hell, it couldn’t be helped, couldn’t it? Maybe deep inside she was also a son of a . Joining forces to create the ultimate sons of es. And so, Suyeon answered, 

“Yes.”
 

 



“Hyung, I can explain,” Kyuhyun tried to keep up with Jungsoo's brisk pacing along the docking on the beach, but he wouldn’t stop. Not until they were sitting on a wooden bench on the furthest point of the rickety dock. If he wanted to push Kyuhyun down to the dark, rolling water down bellow, he could.

“We didn’t do anything. I swear. She fell asleep, I fell asleep, nothing more!” He was still rambling, even when he should’ve known that the silence he was giving meant that Jungsoo wanted Kyuhyun to shut up.

He did, eventually, realize that, and lay back on the bench, defeated.

“I don’t care what you did,” Jungsoo finally spoke, slow and careful. Almost menacing, even, “I don’t care if you’ve done it, if you haven’t done it, I don’t.”

Kyuhyun was awestruck with his answer, “but… I thought…”

“Couldn’t you see? There’s nothing between us,” Jungsoo chuckled when he saw the confusion on Kyuhyun's face, “I thought there was, but then I realized, that there was always nothing there. Just didn’t have the courage to tell her that it’s okay if she wanted to well… dump me.”

“But you two seem so…”

“Close? Well, of course we are. She’s a good friend,” suddenly, the smile on his face disappeared as his head whipped close to Kyuhyun's own, “that’s why you should know you couldn’t just go around and toy her around like all your previous play things.”

Kyuhyun's eyes began to shift, just like him squirming uncomfortably and trying to go as far away from Jungsoo as he could on that tiny bench they were sharing.

“Why couldn’t you just act sincere?” Jungsoo sounded tired when he sighed, “you know me, I’m never someone who like to meddle in on someone else’s business, so I’ve always let your shenanigans go, right? But this has to stop. Stop acting around trying to look cool and stuffs like that? It’s annoying!”

Kyuhyun didn’t even have the courage to lift his head. Jungsoo angry? Then he was DEFINITELY angry. Kyuhyun sure was a trouble maker, but even he knew when to stop playing and just gave back a whisper of, “I’m sorry.”

“Why are you apologizing to me? Say you’re sorry to her!”

For this one he loudly exclaimed, “I will!” and then once more with a more sincere, “I will…”

Jungsoo looked at that hunched form of Kyuhyun and shook his head, “I know you’re young,” a quick laughter on how it made him sound like he was giving a speech to someone 20 years younger than him, “you want to have fun and be careless. But you’re not young forever. And there are consequences for everything that you do. Things that may haunt you, if you weren’t careful.”

He gave Kyuhyun one last look before standing up and turning around to head back to the hotel, “go see her and apologize.”

And for the third time he said, “I will.”

“Sincerely,” the sternness of Jungsoo's voice caused Kyuhyun to slightly jump on his seat, “and remember, one more misstep and I won’t go nice on you ever again." 

As the creaking of his footsteps slowly got fainter, Jungsoo said one more thing. He said it mostly to himself, really, but Kyuhyun inadvertently caught a bit of it as the night wind carried it off to the sea, “I would fight for her if I were you, you lucky bastard.”
 

 



“Where is he?!” The group had been waiting for the return of Jungsoo and Kyuhyun on the corner of the lobby, huddled like a bunch of gossiping house wives. Shindong was the first one to jump up and rush towards Jungsoo, “is he dead?”

Jungsoo only scoffed and rolled his eyes before going back to the dining room and taking a piece of garlic breadstick, “no.” 

“WHY NOT?!” Siwon sat in front of him with raging confusion over why he didn’t just kicked Kyuhyun's over the wooden deck ever since the time they arrived there. The group followed as they took the surrounding empty chairs.

“I’ll let him try again, but this time, if he messed up,” Jungsoo shrugged, before he barbarously snapped the breadstick in half and snared, “we’ll eat him alive.”

The group turned into a hooting barbarous cavernous carnivorous people. And in the middle of that yells, Jungsoo gave Kyuhyun, who was tippy toeing his was around the dining hall toward the proximity of Suyeon’s room, a playful wink. 

‘I’m watching you.’
 

 



Not long after Suyeon managed to shut Hana's giggles off, there was a knock on the door. Immediately, Hana put her hands on Suyeon’s lap as she stood up, "I'll get that."

While she was alone sitting on the bed once more, Suyeon wondered if the world would perform one more miracle and the one standing opposite the door was Kyuhyun. Standing out there to apologize. 

It wouldn't happen, wouldn't it? She predicted they would be pushed right back to square one and would have to waddle through all those silly stages of childish banter all over again. Or worse, this would just be another yellowing page in her collection of abandoned tales of failed romances.

But you know what? This right here was something much more than a normal person could ask in their lifetime. Sometimes Suyeon would forget how it all started with a silly papier mache project of one marvel cinematic universe villain. And now she was surrounded by people she could only imagined to be with. Even if it didn't work between him and her... It's okay.

"It's okay," she told herself, "so many fishes in the water so it's okay." The entertainment industry is filled with super attractive people anyway. Sure as hell there are TONS of fishes in the world for her to choose at her heart’s desire.

But shopping for an exotic tropical fish would have to wait a little longer when Suyeon saw Kyuhyun standing by the edge of her bed.

His expression was hard to read. Was that worry on his face? Or a smug grin? A positive or negative anxiety?  She would come to know it soon. But not before Hana popped out from the bend and announced that she was going to wait it out inside the bathroom.

“Can’t you um… Give us some privacy?” Kyuhyun requested.

“No can doosvile babydoll!” Hana patted his shoulder and off she went to the bathroom, locking the door behind her.

Suyeon wasn’t sure if she wanted to play it hard or easy. And so she only stole little bits of glances as Kyuhyun took a seat beside her. It made her look shy and quiet, docile. Not really something she’d like to be remembered as. But at that time, she couldn’t help but became.

“Hey,” she could tell from the waver in his voice that Kyuhyun was nervous, “so um… I… I know all of this’s fresh so… I hope you can somehow not develop as much of a grudge toward me.”

“That’s a hard request to do mister,” Suyeon only mumbled under her breath.

“Okay, you know what? You can hold a grudge all you want, I don’t care. Put up a tab of how many times I’d made you upset and show me by the end of the year and I’ll buy you one large McDonald’s fries for every tally that you wrote. But I’m sorry. Ok? I’m sorry I’ve been an immature but after everything I’ve learned, I just want to apologize and please… Maybe… Let me try again.”

By the end of his long speech, Kyuhyun was out of breath and he was waiting for her reaction in a moment of silence

Suyeon, who initially refused to turn her head toward him, was piqued at first with the mention of fries. That love of fries led to her seeing the sincerity in his presence and that led to her realizing that maybe now was the time. She might regret it in the future, but that’s the future, who’s got time for that ?

And thus, Kyuhyun was greeted with something he’d never before seen. Suyeon with a soft smile on her face, with upturned eyebrows and eyes that was filled with… Hope.

“You’re trying to make me die of atherosclerosis, aren’t you?”

“If that’s what it takes,” Kyuhyun only shrugged in response.

He wasn’t ready when Suyeon suddenly got her arms around his shoulders and pulled him close for a tight hug.

“Does this mean…,” he slowly asked, his arms still hovering awkwardly over her back as he still couldn’t put himself in the reality of the situation.

“Yes, dumbo, you little piece of , yes.”

And for once in return, his touch was gentle on her skin. Not urgent, not binding and dragging her around in a bruise-inducing grip. Just a simple hug. A miraculous, little hug.

The serene silence that enveloped them was cut abruptly when they both heard a loud click and swoosh of a door being thrown open and thuds of frantic footsteps that slowly were disappearing down the corridor of the hotel.

“Hana’s gonna tell them everything,” Kyuhyun stated the facts with his chin resting on Suyeon’s shoulder, the movement of his jaw tickled and causing Suyeon to giggle.

“I don’t care,” her face buried on the folds of her own tshirt that was still worn by Kyuhyun, resulting only in a lazy mumble, “do you?”

“No, not really.” 

Future. Who’s got time for that ?

 


A/N: Oh my god I apologize, this chapter is like... SUPER CHEEZY. So cheezy I love it so much... I wrote it half alive half asleep so please, I really apologize...
I also would like to apologize for all the abandoned and forgotten plot threads... If this story didn't really make much sense, it was because I don't plot it out. I just sit down and type and just see where my mind would take me this time around. Ugh I feel so bad (as usually I OVER PLOTS) but I guess this is a letting go exercise... 

Why am I even rambling...