Lady Fortuna Loved Me

God of Mischief

It was a sunny day. A really sunny day.
But despite of the harsh rays of the sun, the area around the stadium was jam packed with people. Some were standing in groups, chatting away in glee. Some were playing with their phone, chasing away the boredom. But one was sitting down on the heated asphalt curb, a beige umbrella on one hand, and a comic book on the other. Who was she? Song Suyeon, of course. She's the main character of this story, duh.

“Is that Loki’s sceptre?” A noise interrupted Suyeon. She looked up from her book to see a little girl squatting down, hand pointing at her transparent plastic bag.

“Correct,” Suyeon nodded enthusiatically. She was happy when someone noticed the thing inside her plastic bag.

“That’s really cool! You made this yourself?” The girl picked up her homemade Loki’s sceptre, “it’s identical!”

“I like Captain America,” the girl added while she turned the sceptre around, examining it, “I almost asked my sister to help me make the shield, but she said naah that’s too much work. But look at this!”

“Thanks,” Suyeon was practically beaming out with pride, “I really hope they would notice it.”

“Notice it? At this rate Kyuhyun oppa would invite you to the stage!” The girl reluctantly handed back the sceptre when she noticed that people around them were starting to stand up. It was almost time for the gate to open. So she waved Suyeon goodbye as she ran to a group of young-adult girls that were standing around at the side of the cold drink stand.

Suyeon also stood up, following the movement of the people that surrounded her. When she felt that the people were beginning to get closer and closed up on her, she clutched the sceptre close to her chest, shielding it from any skin contact other than her. She was afraid that any contact with perspiration other than hers would cause the paint coating to chafe off her sceptre more quickly. How could she even came up with those ideas?!

“Now, now,” she whispered slowly to the transparent blue orb, as if talking to her own baby, “this is going to be a bumpy ride.”

 



All this time through the concert, Suyeon has been worrying that her homemade light stick won’t last the night. In the last few songs, the familiar sapphire blue glow had been flickering away. Until finally it dimmed to a dying shimmer as the song that the boys were singing came to an end.

Her fingers carefully turned the base of the elongated plastic case in a hope to bring back some life to the tiny flashlight. Seeing that it didn’t work, she began to tap on the casing while giving the sceptre an encouraging shake.

“Come oooon, last one, last one!” She kept on muttering in an urgent tone because the next segment was the one that really mattered for her.

The dressing up segment.

Yes, Suyeon did all that fuss of making Loki’s scepter from scratch just to give her appreciation to Kyuhyun, for being amazing in his choice of superhero even though Loki’s technically a villain. It would be ironic if her sceptre loose all its juice just minutes before her most anticipated moment, wouldn’t it?

But what a luck she had. With a final firm hit, the flashlight flickered back to life. She let out a relieved cheer, just in time for her ears to hear loud gasps and shouts coming from all around her.

Suyeon finally looked up from her sceptre, to find everyone in the mosh pit looking at her with a shocked expression.

She took a few steps back in alarm, holding her hands away from her body in a defense position.

“What?”

She examined herself. Face? No… Nothing. Clothing? Fully covered. Hair? Intact. What? What made them look at her with such an intense expression?

Only when she directed her sight onto gap in between the safety metal bars did she understand.

From the under the stage she saw a person who was dressed in black frantically pointing at her, waving his arms in as if inviting her to join him under the parted curtain. 

“Me?” She pointed at herself in disbelief.

"Yes, yes!" The stage personel shouted back. He proceed to firmly tell the security people to help the girl with the golden stick get out from the mosh arena.

She had to repeatedly yell at the security to take care of her sceptre. Don’t drop it! Don’t touch the blade! Don’t this! Don’t that!
The security guys just nodded and asked her to stop being so meek and just jump over the bars already.
Once she was safely standing on the other side of the arena, she casted a last glance back to the people in the mosh pit. The most prominent emotion that she could process was jealousy, of course.
But what did the people back in the mosh pit saw before the security guard shoved Suyeon to the passageway under the stage? A wide, satisfied grin, of course.

But that grin was short lived. Because once the stage personel began to start shouting instructions at her, the weight of everything seemed to crash down on her shoulders. 

'Wait . . . What the hell? What the hell?! I... I'm not dreaming right?!' She could feel her inner thought was jumping up and down with maximum excitement. But that was not all that awaits her. When the glorious sight of a long robe of gleaming gold and forest green fell upon her, Suyeon finally realize that it really wasn't a dream. Because somehow her reflex told her legs to buckle and that led to her jumping, which caused her head to ungracefully bang against the support beams. 

Oh, but that's okay. Looking at the long golden staff, and the two curving gold horns that rested awkwardly on top his head, those tears on her eyes? That was tears of pure happiness.


The place was dark, and cramped, and cold, and noisy. Basically, nightmare fuel for claustrophobics. But it was nothing compared to the rumbling inside her chest, the blood that rushed to her face, the shaking of her hands. What she initially thought as excitement, quickly turned into a mix of dazed, confused, terrified, and uncomfortable back-ache from all the crouching she had to do. 

The presence of Loki-slash-Kyuhyun beside her was not helping. His arm around her shoulders was not helping. The rhythmical tapping of his fingers on her arm was not helping, and to hear him humming the next song that he was going to sing was definitely not helping.

They were left alone after the stage personel finished shouting gibberish nonsense on Suyeon's ears. How can she concentrate on anything? She felt like she was nothing more than a sentient lump of blood, bones, muscles, and nerves. Staring ahead with a dumb look on her face, she found it hard to process everything that happened in the last 30 seconds. Everything was hard to belief, everything happened far too quickly. She was not ready. She, Song Suyeon, was not ready for this future. Not. Not. Not. NOT.

But alas, the square mechanical flooring on the stage started to churn before she could put her mind back to reality. It slowly descended, allowing her to step onto it with the help of this oddly dressed fellow beside her.

“Just stick with me, okay?” Kyuhyun gave her shoulder a firm rub-rub-rub-tap combination before the mechanics began to sent them back up to the stage.

Her mind was a blank slate and all she could do was nod absent-mindedly and say,

“Okay.”


A/N: Seeee?! Weird and cliched and agh nooo why am I writing this??? (But I enjoy it so whatever! :P)