The Start

My Six Voodoo Dolls II

"It's way too early for this..." Ravi grumbled, irritably fixing his bed. "Why did that old coot give us early morning classes in the first place?!" His sour mood was coming from waking up at 6 in the morning. He also wasn't very pleased when the hairstylist they went to yesterday dyed all of their hair the same shade of reddish brown. The color was supposed to be his, but they made a mistake and dyed all of VIXX's hair the shade. It was a loss for him since he wanted to be 'special'.

Onew had set them up for 7 AM classes and he messed their time tables in a way that VIXX's classes were always separated from Jae Rens. They only had 2 of the same classes anyway, but the old warlock didn't seem to want them to have that blessing. He even separated the group by 2's in each subject.

"You should've just agreed to fix the time-table." Ken muttered to N, who was just about to go to the kitchen. "Now we'll have to wake up so early in the morning for 5 days a week! What kind of hell is he putting us through?!"

"Relax." Leo rolled his eyes, not fond of their loudness so early in the morning. "Because of our early start, we'll get to go home at 3 PM- which is reasonable. I'm going to go to the kitchen." The only reason he went to the dongsaeng room was because Ken and N needed his help in waking up Hyuk. That kid could sleep like a rock sometimes.

"Good Morning." Jae Ren greeted him warmly as soon as he stepped in the kitchen. Unlike them, she had already washed and dressed herself. "Are the others awake yet?"

"Yes." Leo said, automatically taking the frying station for her as she set the table. "Aren't you a little too excited?" He glanced at her, noting her already dried hair as if she had woken up 2 hours ago-which she probably did.

"Don't be silly." She grinned. "It's the first day! All of you should be excited!" She happilly hummed as she juiced some oranges she picked from their orange tree. She grew the tree herself, and with the help of her magic, it grew into an adult tree in merely 2 weeks.

Apparently, Time Magic also needs time, as ironic as that was. She then understood that her turning Seomin into an infant in merely seconds was a fluke. She was sure she wouldn't be able to do it so easily again judging from how hard it took her to grow a tree. And also, she couldn't forget how incapacitated she was for a whole week after that incident.

"You sure are making the most of things..." Leo murmured. He wasn't really a brightly mooded person, so of course he'd say that when she was. He gracefully put the slices of cooked bacon on a plate, without even getting a single drop of hot oil popping on his clothes.

"When we get there, I want you guys to make friends, alright?" She said as she finished the orange juice and put it into the pitcher.

"Don't say that to me." Leo shook his head, not even hiding his disinterest.

Jae Ren laughed.

"Right. I'll just tell N then." She shook her head with a smile. "But still... It wouldn't hurt for you to have at least one friend outside of VIXX, right?"

"What about-"

"Besides me, also." She added, causing him to deflate. "Just try it. I'm sure you can do it. You're nice, a good listener, and all other good things. I'd probably believe you were perfect." She shrugged.

Leo merely hummed.

He didn't want to tell her, but that was how Jaekyun wanted them to be; Perfect. Which was ironic since she did nothing but notice their imperfections.

"Good Morning." Jae Ren greeted the other members who looked like they were half-asleep. To her, they weren't the strong and dangerous VIXX Guardians who others feared and were cautious of; they were just teenage boys who were still too childish for their hundred-year age.

"Well look who's shining so brightly." Hongbin commented with a sleepy smile as he sat on his chair. Obviously, the hot water did not wake his senses up. "Excited?"

"Of course! So hurry up so we won't be late." She patted N and Hyuks shoulder who seemed like they were about to sleep on the table. "Sheesh, sometimes I think you guys need one whole year of sleeping."

She knew they didn't really need sleep, but maybe they enjoyed it a bit too much.

"That would be great!" Ken brightened up with the idea, causing laughter.

The group ate their breakfast, and soon, all of the boys managed to wake themselves up because of the laughter. It felt like a family. So much, it almost makes Jae Ren forget it isn't. Well, not biologically, anyway.

After they ate, the boys who were still in pyjamas showered quickly while she washed the dishes. There were only four bathrooms-one for each bedroom, but it wasn't a problem since they showered rather quickly with their speed. Though they don't really sweat, she still wanted them to live like a normal person would, just so they wouldn't be so shielded from society. She wanted them to be exposed and understand how things work normally on the outside world.

She waited at the living room, flipping through her phone messages.

The only contacts she had listed were B1A4, Onew, and Topp Dogg's cellphone. She wanted to buy VIXX one, but the six didn't want a phone. They thought it was a waste of time and money, so she didn't. But she will, anyway. But she'd first have to find an excuse for doing so.

*These are the times I really think I have no life outside of Jinyoung and VIXX...* She thought with a sigh. Before she could continue with her depressing lonely thoughts, a knock on the door signalled for her attention.

"It's me!" Onew yelled through the door. Just from hearing the tone of his voice, she could tell he was excited. As soon as she opened the door, Onew stepped past her and welcomed himself inside the house.

"Good morning?" Jae Ren mumbled, slightly shocked by his behaviour. "Is there something wrong?" She cautiously examined his serious expression. He dropped his excited smile as soon as she opened the door, oddly.

"Don't you think you're a little underdressed...?"

Jae Ren checked her clothes with a confused look. To her, blue jeans and a white V-neck shirt was enough for her first day of college.

"No...?"

"Well you are." Onew crossed his arms with a frown. "Go change into something more feminine. It's your first day! Leave a statement." He ushered her back to her room, shaking his head. "Key will murder you if he were your host." He grumbled. "Try changing into a casual dress."

"But I'm more comfortable in pants than-"

Before she could reason herself out, he slammed the door and locked it. "Tell me when you're done!"

With a sigh, she slumped and lazily opened her closet. To her, it wasn't about leaving a statement; College was supposed to be her key to a fulfilling future. She didn't plan on being popular. She was just okay making friends.

"I'm done..." She said through the door, slightly unsatisfied with herself.

"Wow! You look beautiful! Now why didn't you dress like this in the first place?" Onew smiled at her. Her blue flowy jumper skirt and white shirt fit perfectly for her innocent image.

"Because I hate myself." She crossed her arms with a frown. Though she was joking, she still wasn't very pleased. "I don't want to 'leave a statement'."

"Well you should." Onew said, going back to the living room with her following closely behind him. "Have confidence in yourself and I assure you, you'll go very far. Are you following what I'm saying?"

"I think... No, but-"

"Look, it's the first day. Do something different!" Onew smiled.

Jae Ren huffed. If this was her mood earlier, she no longer wondered why everyone else was in a bad mood.

"Ravi fell asleep on the shower." Hongbin grumbled.

"I accidentally spilled all the shampoo..." N sheepishly admitted whereas Leo simply glared at him. "It's still early anyway."

"Yes. But let's not waste any more time. I've prepared a vehicle." Onew said, leading the way outside. "Make sure the doors are locked." He instructed as he glanced behind him at Ken who was given the privilege of the spare key.

"You drive a van?" Ravi questioned, a little disappointed from the lack of creativity. "I was expecting something cool!" He said, disgustedly eyeing the plain white minivan.

"No. This is given to us hosts for driving you students to school. It doesn't run on gas and even more spacious inside than it looks outside. It's a rule that we should only drive you to school in this." Onew stated, sliding the door open for them. "Don't be so picky." He gently chided with a smile. "Today's your first day of school! Start it with a good mood."

 

"... Hooray..."

 

The enthusiasm left Jae Ren as soon as she wore the dress. It was replaced by her nerves.

"Maybe I'm not in the position to say this, but you could try smiling..."

Jae Ren gave Leo a pointed look. "You really aren't in the position to say that." To which Leo only replied to with a small shrug of his shoulders.

"We're here. Please, Jae Ren. Stop acting so stubborn." Onew sighed, glancing at them from the drivers’ mirror.

"I'm not stubborn." Jae Ren, ironically, stubbornly retorted before getting out of the car. "I'm just nervous." She muttered, sure they all heard her. "I'm going to my classes." She started walking away from VIXX and Onew, waving one hand at them as a goodbye without looking their way.

"She's really mad..." Hyuk grinned, amused.

"She can't be too mad for wearing a skirt..." Ravi thought out-loud, watching her retreating back as well. "She looks like a kid when she's mad."

"That's because she's stubborn." Hongbin agreed.

"You forced her, didn't you?" N asked Onew, slightly impressed. He never thought the old man had the guts to do that.

"I explained why." Onew said, smiling. "Now go follow her before she runs into trouble. And good luck on your first day!"

"Thanks. We'll just walk on the way home." N nodded, smiling back. "Bye."

"Bye." The others waved goodbye. It was odd, but they all felt nervous.

"Well...?" Ken exchanged glances with them. "Who's stepping in first?"

On their first tour to the college with Onew, he informed them that there was a magical field surrounding the schools that particularly affects the Guardians.

It disconnects them from their master.

It was a dangerous feature of the school but it was supposed to promote individuality.

“A typical nuisance.” Leo said once.

"N hyung?" Hyuk expectantly looked at the older. "Do the honors?"

"What? The gate is big enough to accommodate all of us." N pointed out.

Was this wide space even considered a gate? Probably not... There wasn't even a fence. The only thing separating the university from the road was the thin line of stone tiles from the road and the grass patches inside.

"We all step in together on one. HEY!" Leo and Ravi pushed him on the border before he could react, making him curse out-loud.

"So how does it feel?" Hongbin curiously asked, eyeing their leader.

N frowned. "Why don't you just step in and find out?"

"Come on! We're curious!"

"THEN STEP IN AND FIND OUT!"

"What if I don't want to?" Ravi challenged, narrowing his eyes at N but the latter simply turned around and started running.

 

"Jaaaaeeeeeee!"

 







1/4