Goodbye

My Six Voodoo Dolls II

Jae Ren's Point of View

 

We went into the forest. We just walked there in a slow pace, listening to the crunching of leaves with our every step. We didn't need to go far since I knew N would keep his promise-I could trust him. But I can't help but notice the air of awkwardness between us. I was starting to think that this was all just a pathetic way for us both to fool ourselves into thinking we could be normal friends again.

"So..." He began. "Are you still going to be a Marine Biologist?"

He remembered.

I only discovered my love for the sea when I was 15. Mom and Dad were gone by then... but I knew they would've been so proud. Jinyoung helped me through it all. The times I was bullied, alone or sad. Even the times when I thought I just wanted to give up. He was always there. And it makes me not mind mind how I really am pathetic for trying too hard to earn our friendship back. I nodded with a small smile, "Of course. I want to travel the world and study sea creatures..."

"With VIXX?"

I nodded again and I could feel my smile broaden. "I'll always be with them."

He sighed. What does that sigh mean? "I'm thankful in so many ways..."

I looked at him quizically. He was staring up into the sky while walking. I didn't know if he was just doing that to gaze at the starry night, or he was purposely avoiding eye contact.

"I'm grateful because... I know they won't leave you. Unlike me." He joked. But I could sense the guilt in his voice. "At least even without me around, I know you'll always be safe. Because VIXX is there. And not to mention Topp Dogg too, even if they're not here right now."

"Thanks...? I guess?" I unsurely said, making him chuckle. "What's so funny?"

"This is exactly what I was afraid of." He sadly smiled at me. I don't understand... "That we won't be able to return to the old days. Before I... made the mistake."

I shook my head. "I don't know if we'll be able to go back to the 'old days' Jinyoung." I confessed. "Not because I hate you or anything like that or because I feel awkward around you, but because... we can't be that close again."

I sighed. "And don't say it was your fault. It was both ours."

"Can't we at least try?"

I stopped walking and stared at him. He stopped too, but he was a few steps in front of me.

"Can't we at least try to bring back the old thing between us?" He half turned, letting me see his side profile. "I know I messed up, Jae. I don't think anything was your fault at all. I admit that maybe I have been possessive of you..." I tried my best to keep the heat creeping to my face at bay, I couldn't help but feel like I still had a chance. "But... I have to admit that I miss you so much." He softly smiled.

"It'll take some time..." I looked away. Maybe even never. It's still just too weird between us. I fell for him-hard... and I don't know if he ever felt the same, but he flat out rejected me.

"I'll wait. I have a lot of time. And you do too." He grinned at me. Seeing him smile like that, I managed a small smile too. It means a lot he was doing this much to save our friendship. Maybe... there was a chance for us to go back after all. "You're leaving tonight. And you probably won't be back for a long time. Maybe... that'll give us both time to adjust to the idea."

"That sounds... nice." I admitted.

I can never easily forget the times I shared with Jinyoung. And I'm not planning to forget anything anyway. They're all precious memories... why would I throw those away? In a way, he saved me.

"Jae...?"

I hummed as a response and stared at the night sky too. Since he was doing it. I didn't quite understand why I was doing that. Maybe I just wanted to avoid his eyes the same way he was avoiding mine...

"If I could one day catch a star just for you, would you accept it and love me again?"

I smiled. No... I don't feel angry at what he said. "That depends if you would love me back. If I was your mate, would you?"

"Hmm. That depends. Because that would mean I would first have to catch a star for you."

We both chuckled. Things are for the better right now. Love doesn't always have to ruin friendships. Friendships are made out of love too, anyway. Love wasn't meant to ruin anything. But it still hurt when the love is suddenly gone.

"Let's go back. I think N would snap me in two if I don't bring you back in the next 5 minutes." I chuckled while shaking my head as I hear the slight fear in his tone.

He led the way out of the forest while I walked behind him.

"Jinyoung?"

"Yes?"

"If you find your mate, can I meet her?"

He stopped walking and turned around. His smile made my heart break and beat at the same time.

"Of course, Jae. I'll tell you as soon as I possibly could."

I smiled and nodded.

Thankyou, Jinyoung. It didn't hurt as much as I thought it would.

Letting go, I mean. But it was much harder than I had expected.

 

"Hey the bus is here." N said as I talked to CNU in the kitchen.

"Oh." I sighed. "I'm going to get my stuff-"

"No. I already did. Go... say goodbye." N gently cut me off and left me with CNU and Sandeul.

"Do you have to go?" Sandeul asked me as I walked to the living room.

"Sandeul." CNU sternly said. "That's rude."

I shook my head. "It's fine. And... yes, Deul. I have to." I gently smiled at him. "I'll try to visit one day. I promise."

Sandeul sadly nodded.

We all went outside the house and I locked the door.

I turned to Jinyoung and held out the keys. "Keep it safe for me? The electricity and water would be cut off by tomorrow so there's nothing to worry about. I just... need you to look over it from time to time."

He nodded and took the keys with a smile. "I will. I promise. I'll even plant a tree for you right here for when you come back." He joked, making me chuckle.

"Jae? We have to go..." N gently squeezed my shoulder. I looked up to him and nodded. Walking with him to the bus.

It looked like any ordinary yellow school bus, but it emitted a strange aura to it.

I took a window seat with Leo next to me and N next to him.

B1A4 was waving at us with encouraging smiles. Except for Sandeul who looked sad.

Oh deul...

I waved back at them with a sigh.

"Are you going to miss them that much? We can always stay..." Leo suggested.

I shook my head. "There'll be no progress in that. This is a great opportunity... And we can always visit, right?" He nodded.

I'll miss the people I'm leaving behind so much. Even this place. Especially the house since my parents had left it to me. But I know this is what they would have wanted. My father used to tell me every time: "Life is an adventure-an open book. Don't stay on one page. Keep moving."

Keep moving.

I'll do that.

Hopping into the strange school bus behind N, I waved one last time to B1A4. For a short time, I could already see what Jinyoung was feeling. It was the same regret laced in his expression on the days we were avoiding each other. The same tired smile he wore whenever he was secretly sad. The same relief in his eyes that I was wearing at the same time.

It was good for us. This is good for us.

 

Author's Point of View

 

"Uhm... I hate to break it to you; driver-sshi, but we're driving STRAIGHT INTO A CLUMP OF TREES." Ravi emphasized in panic. The driver seemed unfazed. "Please remain seated. I know what I am doing."

"Are you sure? I don't mean that in a bad way." Jae Ren politely asked. "Those trees look really solid to me..."

"Yes. I am sure. Just please remain seated." He threw Ravi a pointed look who was standing. They were the only passengers aboard anyway. Jae Ren uneasily shifted in her seat. But she chose to trust the driver.

"My name is Jin." The Driver glanced at her from the mirror. He noted how she managed to calm down easily. "Don't worry. I know what I'm doing, Miss Jae Ren." Jae Ren nodded with a nervous smile. "Nice to meet you, Jin." He nodded back and proceeded to drive straight into the mass of trees that didn't seem to have an opening. Well, that's what they thought.

N looked worried and looked at Leo, trying to signal him to protect Jae Ren. But he wasn't looking at him. He silently cursed and wonder what was wrong with the guy for being so relaxed at a moment like this.

He sighed in desperation as the bus drove closer to the trees. Oh God. Save us. He squeezed his eyes shut.

10 seconds, and they all felt like in one piece.

"You can open your eyes now." Jin boredly said. "Welcome to PathWay 006."

N opened his eyes and stared at the window. They were in a black dimension of some sort. Nothing could be seen except the other end.

"This Pathway leads to Shadow Realm number-"

"6?" Ken suggested.

"Obvious, ain't it?" Jin smirked. "But otherwise known as Sanctuary." He informed. "Wait-so Shadow Realms exist?" Hongbin asked with wide eyes. "And there are others?" Ravi confusedly added.

"Well, yes." Jin answered. "Shadow Realms have been around since the creation of the world. It is where non-humans stayed in before we decided to introduce ourselves to man-kind. Where did you think we stayed? Caves?" He retorted with a snort. "But Shadow Realms have been forgotten since the New Age."

The New Age is when the mythical creatures humans thought off first appeared into History. When creatures like them first made themselves known to the whole world. Before the New Age, some creatures already introduced themselves to humans though, leading to certain myths and legends.

"This Shadow Realm was recreated especially for our kind. Warlocks, Witches and Guardians. Though there are also creatures here that are either extinct in the Earth plane, or endangered. That is why this place is 'Sanctuary'. It is safety for our kind other hunted species." Jin explained. "Who recreated the shadow realm?" Jae Ren curiously asked, trying to digest everything. She hadn't even heard of 'shadow realms' before.

"There were 10 of them. Known as the Council in the Shadow Realm. They overlook what goes within the Realm. They recreated the place thousands of years ago. No one knows their real age, but I would say they were older than the first world war of humans. Oh, and no one knows what they exactly are either. But there are some rumors that two are witches and three are warlocks. I'm not sure."

Hongbin slowly nodded as if to digest all the information.

The bus entered the white portal at the end, and it was too bright for them to see for maybe 5 seconds until the lights died down.

"Welcome to home, Jae Ren and Guardians." Jin looked back and grinned at her. "You'll like it here, I promise."

It reminds me of some vintage town. Jae Ren stared in awe.

"We are currently in the Old District. You see, there are no separations between levels or race here. Whether you are an intermediate witch or Grand, you can be in any district that suits you. You are given a test to see where you are most compatible with." Jin started to explain as he slowly drove on the street so Jae Ren and VIXX can have a good look of the beautiful houses. She has read and seen pictures of the old world, before the new age, and this place vaguely resembled a vintage era. "It's still completely your choice because the test labels where you go." He shrugged.

"It's so beautiful..." Jae Ren commented. "Where are we going?"

"We are going to your host’s house." Jin said. "Any creature who come from the outside needs to have a Host-Guardian. Not guardian-guardian," He glanced at VIXX, "But guardians as in parental substitute."

"Were you born here?" Jae Ren asked.

Jin glanced at her. "Yes. I was. I met some of my brothers here." Noting from her confused expression, she didn't understand what he meant. "You see, Warlocks don't have guardians. We have... brothers. We all have a bond with other warlocks that brings us together. We have a group-or coven. One of my brothers, Taehyung, was found outside of the realm. I found him during my drive to retrieve a Warlock. Turns out, it was him." He shrugged with a small smile. "We're like, family. You know? Just like you and your guardians. We have an unexplainable bond. But of course it's not always the same case. Some warlocks are born to never have brothers, so they make guardians too. And some witches, too, try to recreate that brotherhood bond by means of some sort of ritual like blood bonding."

Jae Ren nodded, understanding little-by-little. "Do you work here as a bus driver?"

"Not just a bus driver," Jin chuckled. "I am a Retriever. I am the one who collects the Witches, Warlocks, or other creatures from the outside Realm. Sometimes, my brothers come with me, but today, they're a little busy."

"Which district do you live in?" N asked the driver.

"My brothers and I live near the water canals. We like water, you see and in that district, the roads are made of water. We swim on hot days there. There are a lot of weird things living with us there too. We're still in college.But our last year is next year. We all decided to stay here and work for the realm, though." Jin explained. "When you go to college here, though, you'll have to separate classes with your guardians. Guardians study in different classes most of the time. Made especially for them. It's like training to better aide the witch in question."

N nodded. "Is there anything else?"

The bus stopped, and Jin looked back at them. "As much as possible, even though this place is pretty safe, try to stick together." He advised. "You guys would live together for possibly centuries, a strong bond is needed."

They nodded at his wise words.

"Plus, your host is a Warlock. He's been around since the Josean Dynasty, so he may be a little... odd." Jin sheepishly smiled at them. "You know what age does to the mind." He shrugged, tapping the side of his head.

"Wait-what do you mean by that?" Ken asked just as he hopped off the bus with his bag. "What's a 'Joseon Dynasty'?"

Jin shrugged, and drove off.

"Isn't the Joseon Dynasty a thousand years ago...?" Hongbin asked. "Before the New Age?"

VIXX and Jae Ren turned around, and their jaws dropped seeing the house in front of them.

It was wrong... in ways more than one.






Hear me out! I'm studying REALLY hard and at the same time, I'm undergoing a writer stump. Sorry!!!

But still, thanks for your loyalty and love to this fic! :DDD

I read your comments every time I go online and they lift my spirits up, honestly :) Thankyou very much again!!!