Ravi's Helping Day

My Six Voodoo Dolls II

Ravi kept watching over Hongbin's shoulder, annoying the latter.

"Tell me what you're doing."

Hongbin sighed. "I'm cooking. As you can see."

"How come I never got to do that? I want to try." He declared, stepping away as the oil started to sizzle. "And why are we eating normal food? Not that I mind." The elixirs they normally drank didn't taste like anything.

"You can't cook." Leo bluntly stated.

"I can if any of you ever bothered to teach me. Everyone's doing something for this household except me." Ravi made sounds comparable to a dying whale as he sat and slumped on one of the dining tables chairs. "N hyung cleans. Ken hyung gets to hold all the spare keys. Hyuk helps Jae Ren mentain that new garden she's starting and I'm-"

"Complaining all day? Very accurate." Leo muttered.

Hongbin surpressed his laughter. "If you want to help in the house, why don't you start by cleaning the fridge? N hyung doesn't do that much since he's been busy studying."

If N had it much easier before in Jae Ren's old school, he was having mental abuse now. Since he had a special subject of basic magic that none of the others had, he had no one to help him with the new runes, facts, techniques and other lessons he had never even heard of before. Even Jae Ren didn't know how to help him since she focused more on Witchcraft- not the 'artificial magic' that some guardians seem to have.

"How do I do that?" Ravi was immediately by the fridge, opening the top door of it to reveal the freezer.

"You unplug it and defrost it." Hongbin glanced over at him unsurely. He was starting to rethink his suggestion. Ravi was never- never- the gentlest out of them. They had always opted to not let him touch any of the valuables they retrieved from their missions back when they lived with Jaekyun.

Ravi did as he was instructed. "And then what?"

"Remove everything and set it on the table. Separate them by the floors of the fridge that I arranged." Hongbin continued. The fruits and vegetables stayed at the bottom drawer. From down to the top, it was the drinks and juices, the snacks that needed to be chilled like chocolate, and then the leftovers. Since they had been eating normal food, Jae Ren made sure the fridge always had something to eat.

"Won't they melt?" Ravi asked but did so anyway. He did it rather quickly, separating them with a palm-sized distance. "But done."

"Wipe the spills on the grills and flooring of the fridge. After that, you're done."

"What about the freezer?" Ravi asked as he wiped the spilled tomato sauce that had dried up on the bottom. 

Leo kept stealing glances at how he was doing, since he didn't want a broken fridge after this was done. "Don't."

"Why not?"

"I already did that." He lied. Even Leo was considerate enough to at least not tell him it was because he'll break the fridge.

"Fine." Ravi mutttered. After he had done cleaning, he plugged the fridge again and smiled in satisfaction. "Done."

"Very good." Hongbin checked the fridge. "Well, you helped. So you're done. You can go back to doing whatever it is you do."

"Actually, I think I'll go buy the missing groceries." Ravi suddenly said, surprising both Hongbin and Leo. "I noticed there's no eggs, milk, and onions. Since those are the ingredients you two usually use."

Leo blinked. "I'm slightly surprised you observed that." He admitted.

"That's because y'all think I'm stupid." Ravi smugly smiled at them. "Anyway, I'm off. I'm going to take money from the jar." He said as he left.

Hongbin felt uneasy. "Will he be all right?"

They never left the house alone before. Sure, it had been a month or so since they had lived there and they had already grown used to the place, but leaving alone was a different matter. It feld weird enough to feel alone in the university, feeling alone elsewhere had made them all wary.

"I don't know. But he'll make it back. One way or another." Leo said, going back to preparing dinner.

 

Ravi stalked inside of the appliance store, looking through the spare parts. He was hoping no one he knew would see him.

He broke the fridge.

Only the bulb. I should be able to look for a replacement. He thought, calming himself. He didn't mean to break the bulb. While he was wiping a very persistent stain, he accidentally hit the bulb that lit the fridge when it opened. He managed to disguise the sound by talking, at least.

"Excuse me, do you have a fridge bulb this big?" He replicated the size with his fingers. "It's the standard fridge that you get when you first move in."

"Oh. That." The worker blinked. "Actually, we do have one last left. But the other guy over there's already put it in his cart."

Ravi paled. "Wh-who? Where is he?" He needed that bulb. Or else they'll never trust him to do anythng ever again.

"Over there. That guy in the beanie."

"Thanks." He immediately started approaching the guy, thinking of the excuses he could say.

"Sir, may I please have that fridge bulb? You see, I broke the one on my neighbors fridge and it's really embarassing-" No. I'm not saying that. He discarded the idea. Maybe I should just grab it and run? He thought but then shook his head at the idea. That's the equivalent of stealing.

Instead, he went for the old-fashioned 'just tell the truth' plan.

"Hey, uh, excuse me, sir- Hey." Ravi's eyes widened. "It's you. Wow, I didn't recognize you with that hair at all."

"What do you want?"

Ravi blinked. "Oh, right. I'm sorry. G-Dragon-ssi, right?"

"Yes. You're one of Jae Ren's underlings." GD replied, putting the basket he was holding down. He had a feeling this would take long. "No offence."

"None taken." Ravi waved it away. "Anyway, I was hoping for... a favor. And please, hear me out, this is really, really, really, important. I promise. It's like a life and death situation for me- not that I'm saying you should care. I mean, maybe you should care? I don't know."

GD raised an eyebrow at him. "What is it?"

"It's about that fridge bulb." Ravi pointed at the pingpong ball sized bulb in his basket. "I broke the one in ours, of course not intentionally," He immediately defended. "and I was hoping you could... lend it to me instead?" Seeing GD hesitate made him panic. "I'll make it up to you, I swear."

But why would GD help him? This was the first time they talked, actually. Not counting the time when Jae Ren introduced them. They were strangers to each other or maybe distant acquaintances.

GD was still silent.

Ravi sighed. "You don't have to say yes."

"Is this for Jae Ren?"

The guardian blinked. "Well, yeah. Sort of? It is her fridge. She doesn't know it's broken yet, though." He explained.

GD picked up his basket and handed him the bulb. "Here. You'll have to hurry before they find out. I won't tell anyone."

Ravi accepted it gratefully with a 90 degree bow. "Thankyou! Really. I don't know why N hyung doesn't like you, but I think you're pretty cool. Even with the orange hair gone. Bye! And thanks a lot."

He left like a gust of wind.

GD touched his new, dark and short hair subconsciously. He shook his head and went to the counter to pay for his supplies.

"Sir, did you know that customer earlier?"

GD blinked. "Yes. A little."

"Well, he didn't pay."

His face showed the physical meaning of the words: "Is this what I get for helping someone?"

"Fine. I'll pay for it." He murmured. After all, it was rare to hear someone tell him he was nice. Maybe he was a er for those kinds of genuine and sincere compliments.

But this is the last time I'm helping anyone.