Awkward Situation(s)

My Six Voodoo Dolls II

Jae Ren's Point of View

 

"You don't need to trust me. In fact, don't. It may sound weird coming from a guy you just met, but you're better off trusting only yourself."

 

The words kept repeating themselves in my head. I couldn't help it. My curiosity kept pulling my attention back to what he said.

After that, a blanket of silence seemed to have covered the warm friendship we had earlier. Or was that just me? He didn’t seem too bothered by it.

"Class dismissed. Remember: Your next class will be disrupted by the Freshmen Briefing. Head to Open Area immediately." Ms Jung, our Biology teacher, reminded as everyone in the room collected their things.

"Let's go?"

I looked up only to meet GD's blank stare again. "Oh? Okay."

We walked in silence again. Even with other students in the hall, probably freshmen too, walking to the portals with their noisy chatter it still felt too silent.

"You know, I have a feeling what I said got to you." He narrowed his eyes at me, as if accusing me of something. Shouldn't he be the one who should be thrown suspicious looks at?

I blinked at him. "Well..." It was a natural instinct to look away.

"What I said earlier was just an opinion. I have a bad habit of being too straightforward, you see. Sorry about that." He shrugged. He didn't look like he meant a sorry, but I could still say he did. He just said it flatly. "Just forget everything I said if it bothers you."

"No, I didn't mean it that way... But I was just thinking of what you were trying to say." I explained, rubbing my hands. We entered the portal and exited shortly after.

The portal exited at an arc between two trees just beside the oval-shaped Open Area. There were other arcs like this one on other points of the ovals coming from different buildings.

"It didn't really mean anything. It's just like... It's advice. You see, I grew up in a very rough environment outside this place. And what I said earlier is just one of the few things I learned out there." He elaborated. "You shouldn't trust people so easily."

We stood there on the grassy Area, just like the other students, waiting for the Briefing. I don't understand why they chose this place. It wasn't really hot, but it was so wide. And I don't see a stage nor a podium.

"Kind of like 'stranger=danger'?"

"Exactly. So really, just forget about it."

"Okay then." I smiled in relief. That made me feel much better. What he said bothered me, I'll admit. "But still, that really isn't healthy thinking... I mean, you could always trust me-"

"WELCOME, FRESHMEN OF WA!" A booming, nasally voice yelled with a cheery tone. I don't see the speakers, but I could hear that the voice was using a sound system. "My name is G.Na! That is spelled capital G, period, capital N and lower case letter a!"

How detailed.

"I am this years’ Whole Student Body Council President." I didn't think colleges would have those anymore. Frankly, I still don’t understand why we’re called freshmen. "Yes, I know. Just like high school, huh? Well let me tell you something: WA is a little different from other colleges. Not only because of its very prestigious location, but because of the certain things go around here. WA, as you know as Witch or Warlock Academy was-I repeat WAS- for only Witches and warlocks-" She paused as if she knew there'd be groans and boos from other racial students. "But around a millennium ago, the Academy established its 'Multi-Racial Program' which allows other creatures to go here. But the only catch is, you have to be invited. All of you here have been individually sent a letter, visited by an informant, and delivered here. Neat, huh? As you can see, WA is more like for Creatures who are either going extinct, or thought to be already extinct. And after you graduate here with whatever study you're taking up on, you are given the choice to stay here and work for this realm: Sanctuary, or be inserted back into society under the guise of normal human or the nearest creature your kind is related to. But if you are choosing the latter, you are still going to have to be kept in contact- just to keep you and the secrecy of this place safe."

"Isn't that a little bit... confining?" G-Dragon whispered.

"Not really... It is to keep us safe." I shrugged. They had a point.

"Every one of you has the special class called: Training. You are separated by kind in that class because each species needs specific trainors. You are not allowed to graduate if you fail that class." G.Na stated. Her voice was starting to settle down, slowly turning monotonous. "And also, the number one rule here in WA is NO FIGHTING. The protective barrier around the Academy that cripples powers of every creature here- whether witch, warlock, guardian or even Clurichauns. Whatever you may be, your abilities are reduced. Given the exception of Training- of course, where the teacher disables the barrier in the special training room you will be taking the class in." I'm starting to think she's just laying out the rules here. Everyone is listening too, but it seems she's losing their attention. Were we just supposed to sit here on the grass? "Tomorrow, regular classes will begin so please look forward to it! Learning here is much more fun in a lot of ways!" She ended up with a small cheer, making the students clap for her with hoorays.

I can tell that she meant her words, but still... I was a little disappointed. I thought this briefing would tell us more. I’ve wandered around the school and the city, but I don’t know who or what is in charge. They said that there were 10 councilmen, but that was it.

"The Freshmen Briefing is officially over. You'll learn stuff along the way with whatever sources you have. Gossip, Teacher info, or even the Academy Papers, it's all up to you. Your experience here will be amazing, I promise! Bye and good luck!"

For the last time, the freshmen clapped and whistled and cheered. I clapped along but G-Dragon didn't even bother. He just continued entertaining himself with a leaf from the tree he was leaning on.

"So do we have to continue classes or-"

"JAE!"

I was about to turn around when GD pulled my wrist back along with me, making me stumble back into his chest.

"What are you doing with Jae?" N was just suddenly there. Judging from his expression on our awkward position, he was probably unhappy.

I thought their abilities were denied? He's still so fast. Too fast.

"You would've ran into her and broken her nose if I didn't pull her back. You're her guardian right? Act like it." He icily said.

I stepped in front of them, releasing myself from GD's grip on my arms. "Stop it." Their first meeting and they're already at each other’s throats. "N, this is G-Dragon. G-Dragon, N. N here is the leader of VIXX who are my guardians." I stood beside N, patting his shoulder with a smile directed at GD who was, not surprisingly, not even looking our way. I didn't expect him to be interested in meeting N at all. I wasn't even planning it.

"That's great." He deadpanned, glancing shortly at us. "Are your other guardians like this?"

"Wow. Is he always like this? How are you even friends with the most anti-social person in campus?" N crossed his arms, looking at me with a frown.

"How do you even endure such an annoying guardian? Is he here to break noses or something? He clearly would've done that with you earlier." GD snapped back. He was irritated, but his blank expression hid it all. "You should learn to back off."

"You should learn to not be so rude."

"I could say the same for you."

"Wha-Jae! Why are you friends with his guy?!"

N lost. Of course, the nose-breaking comment did hit a sore spot from this morning.

"Hush, children." I sighed, shaking my head. "How childish can you two be?" I could see how they were lowering their guards. "Where are the others?" I asked N.

"I don't know. Somewhere around here. I can't really keep tabs on them anymore." He shrugged. I’m surprised he’s not worried about them. "But I told them before we'd meet at the school gate once the briefing is over."

"Oh." I turned to GD who was engulfed in his leaf again. "You want to come?"

"Where?"

"No."

"N." I gave him a warning look, making him frown in response and quiet down. "We were thinking of going to this restaurant after class. It's just two portals from here. You want to go with us?" I smiled at him warmly, since I wanted him to meet VIXX. I'm sure N would be the only one who'd have this kind of negative response anyway.

"No thanks. I'm going home. I don't really like crowds." He said with a straight face. "I'll just see you tomorrow, Jae ren. Bye. And have fun..." He pushed himself from the tree and went to the portals with one wave at us.

"Good riddance."

"N!" I shot him a look, but seeing his creepy smile made me laugh. "What am I going to do with you?" I chuckled, shaking my head. We started walking leisurely to the nearest portal, passing by the students who were still sitting on the grass. I guess they wanted to stay for a while.

"It would've been nice to stay here too with the others for a while." N sighed, but when I glanced at him, I saw he was smiling. "I like how fresh the air feels here."

"Feel?" I echoed. I was curious of how fresh air 'felt'. I know that most people would think of it as just 'fresh air'. Cool air that smells fresh. But I don't underestimate N's senses. He and VIXX tend to have a different understanding of the world.

I remember Ken telling me how Oranges tickled his stomach.

"Yeah. Jaekyun was able to talk to wind drafts. Well I can't talk to them, but being part wind-walker, I can feel them. Like how city air is rough on the skin and how salty sea wind is harsh but still soothing." He explained.

I didn’t know what he meant by ‘talking’ to wind drafts. "Isn't that irritating? Feeling too many sensations at one time?" I asked.

Different, strong scents, sights and sensations everyday... That would drive me crazy.

"You get used to it." He shrugged, grinning. "But I keep noticing your curiosity. Have I grown quite a handsome lad lately?

"Lad?" I laughed. "Sorry to disappoint, but no. It's just... I've been living with you guys for so long and I know so little of the century you've spent being alive. I'm curious." I emphasized.

"Hmmm... Well all you need to know is it was boring. Being in the same place for a century is like doing the same things every day! Which we did. It was tiresome. That's why I can confidently say that VIXX and I have been more upbeat lately compared to the past century." He confessed.

I smiled at him, only to see he was already staring at me.

"That's really... good, N. My life has been 'upbeat' more lately too." I laughed. "Honestly, I thought of giving you guys up on the first day you came to my house-"

"No kidding." N chuckled at the funny memory.

"Because I thought you guys would live boring lives because of me!" I defended through my fits of laughter. "But still, there you guys were. Offering yourselves like dolls to me. Pun intended."

"Very clever." N nodded with a grin. "But Jae, you won't even begin to comprehend how setting foot on that house was the first genuine excitement I had in decades."

I nodded, closing my eyes. Maybe if I tried, I could feel the wind, too. In ways more than just a gust.

"Jae, about that Dragon guy..."

"G-Dragon."

"Yes. Whatever. Why does he smell weird?"

I opened my eyes to give him a look. "N, if this is one of your insults-"

"No, seriously. He smells weird."

I shrugged. "Probably because he hangs with dragons. He has pets." He did mention living with three small ones.

"... Oh. Okay, then."