Save us

Twisted Fairy Tales 4: Happily ever after...?

Then she went into her most secret room -- no one else was allowed inside -- and she made a poisoned apple. From the outside it was beautiful, white with red cheeks, and anyone who saw it would want it. But anyone who might eat a little piece of it would died. Then, coloring her face, she disguised herself as a peasant woman, and thus went across the seven mountains to the seven dwarfs. She knocked on the door.

Snow-White stuck her head out the window and said, "I am not allowed to let anyone in. The dwarfs have forbidden me to do so."

"That is alright with me," answered the peasant woman. "I'll easily get rid of my apples. Here, I'll give you one of them."

"No," said Snow-White, "I cannot accept anything."

"Are you afraid of poison?" asked the old woman. "Look, I'll cut the apple in two. You eat the red half, and I shall eat the white half."

Now the apple had been so artfully made that only the red half was poisoned. Snow-White longed for the beautiful apple, and when she saw that the peasant woman was eating part of it she could no longer resist, and she stuck her hand out and took the poisoned half. She barely had a bite in when she fell to the ground dead.




Baekhyun looked at the girl before him and watched as she slowly removed her hood, letting her long black curls show. He tilted his head not sure what to make of her.

“You’re one of the wolves trapped here, correct?” He blinked a few times, not moving an inch but making sure to keep his eyes on her.

“My name is Rima or just simply Red. What’s yours?”

Her soft voice was soothing to his ears and her smile warmed his heart. He didn’t understand why they had to kill her. How she could ever be the evil one in this Fairytale. He couldn’t comprehend how Red Riding Hood, the girl standing before him was bad, manipulative, a killer.

His mouth opened and words suddenly escaped it before he could ever clear his mind.

“Baekhyun. I’m the youngest in this group” Rima smiled at him and nodded while Baekhyun stood there, dumbfounded.

“Baekhyun. I like that name. It sounds an awful lot like an english word I know but...I’ll tell you that story another time” She giggled and the boy couldn’t help but smile a little. He grew curious of what his name sounded like.

His smile faded just as fast as it came when he remembered what he came to do. The reason to why he ‘called’ her. Shaking his head he growled a little at her.

“Don’t try and act all nice with me just because I’m the smallest! I wanted to ask you questions and depending on your answers we’ll see if I let you live.” he stated with his fangs clearly visible now. Rima’s smile faded and she nodded, slowly placing her hands on the floor and sitting in the grass before him.

“What are you doing?” He questioned her, suspicious of her actions. Why wasn’t she afraid of him?

“I’m sitting down, duh. I thought you wanted to ask me questions and then decide on whether you wanted to kill me or not...or did I misunderstand that?”

His mouth opened and closed, his brows furrowed as he stared down at the girl. A small smile graced her face once more. Her eyes digging holes through him that felt as if she were reading his mind and after her next question, Baekhyun was positive she was.

“What’s wrong? Wondering why I’m not afraid of your threats? Not afraid of dying? Not afraid of you?”

Baekhyun stared the girl down, his guard up at all times as he nodded. Rima smiled up at the boy before patting the grass in beside her. The boy hesitated but more than anything wanted to know more about her, especially now that he knew she wasn’t afraid of the big bad wolf. Taking a seat beside her, he stared at the girl, her eyes seemed to be a playful twist of yellow and purple. Something he had never before seen.

“It’s actually quite simple. After you’ve been through all the near death experiences I have, you become less and less afraid. In the end, the only thing you want is a happy ending. Plus, I see kindness in your eyes. Your good.” She stated as if it were one of the simplest things in the world to understand.  

“Why do you have to be the bad guy? Why do I have to kill you? I...I don’t want to kill you….you seem nice. Very nice. I like you. I don’t want you to die...I…” The boy started muttering as a million things ran through his mind at once. Rima watched as tears started to fall down his cheeks. He shook his head as he looked down at the floor, wishing he had never came out to meet her.

“I…” He stopped and his eyes widened as he could feel two arms wrap themselves around him. It felt warm, loving, kind. Something he hadn’t felt in a very long time.

“Please….please don’t cry. That’s the one thing I haven't gotten used to yet. I can’t handle seeing my wolves cry. If they’re with me or against me doesn’t matter because I will save them. You. All of you. Just please...don’t cry….”

His eyes closed as his arms moved without his consent, wrapping themselves around the girl. He didn’t know why but something inside him wanted to hold her, make her feel better and never ever hurt her again. Something made this feel right, as if he was supposed to protect the girl in his arms instead of kill her.

“Protect...not kill…” The words escaped his lips and Rima lifted her head, looking at the boy.

“Baekhyun….” She whispered and watched as the boy looked down into her eyes.

“I’m...supposed to protect you….not kill you...aren’t I?” He questioned. Looking into his eyes she could see them change. The black spots in his eyes slowly disappeared and the hellish red turned to the sky blue she knew too well.

Slowly she shook her head at the boy.

“I’m supposed to protect all of you.” Baekhyun smiled at the girl, wiping the remaining tears from his cheeks.

“The queen….no, witch….is the bad guy, isn’t she?” Rima nodded at the boy. She could tell by the color of his eyes that the witch didn’t have any control over him at this point. Taking a deep breath he placed his head in between his hands.

“I remember what happened now…” He stared and Rima scooted closer to the boy, making sure to listen closely to every word that escaped his lips next.

“The three of us...Luhan, Lay and me….we all went out one day. A little girl from the village got lost out in the forest so, since the three of us were protecting it, we went out to look for her. We split up and were out all day looking for her. At one point I got hungry….really really hungry, so when I found a basket sitting under a tree I walked over and started to rummage through it. I found a bunch of food and a few bottles of drink so naturally I ate and drunk some of it and saved the rest for when I ran into Luhan and Lay. I don’t remember much after that….I remember a girl and a boy showing up out of nowhere….running away from someone...a woman...I don’t know what happened to Luhan and Lay either. All I know is when I woke up, the three of us were in a stone castle, being well taken care of by a nice woman…..I was so wrong…I should have ripped out when I had the chance….but I just couldn’t remember….Red….”

“I promise you’ll get a chance to take your revenge. Soon.” Rima smirked and the boy smiled, nodding in response.

His eyes lit up as he shot up, startling Rima in the process.

“Basket!” He exclaimed before running back toward the tree and retrieving the small package he was meant to deliver to the girl.

“She gave me this and told me to sit it outside town limits. She made it look like it would be from one of the other wolves and hoped you would be stupid enough to believe it.”

“Hey! How does she even know about the other wolves...They can’t enter another fairytale….”

“You’re right, they can’t but she thinks since pretty much all rules are screwed up in this fairytale, that one would be too.”

A glimmer of hope could be seen in Rima’s eyes as she thought about what the boy had just said.

“So Xiumin can actually-”

“No. He can’t come see you. That’s the only rule that actually still works here.” He stated quickly, trying his best to ignore the disappointed look on her face.

“And she knows about them because she’s been watching you, and them through her crystal ball. She’s always watching you.”

“How do you know she’s not watching now then? What if she finds out that your…” Baekhyun smiled up at the girl and shook his head.

“Trust me. That’s one of her only weak spots. She never watches us because she knows she has a tight grip around us. Her spells aren’t supposed to wear off so she doesn’t feel the need to keep an eye on us.”

“How did yours wear off then?” Rima questioned the boy as she watched him search through the basket. He shrugged at her, his gaze never wavering.

“I’m not sure. Just in case it backfires though, I want to see what’s in here. Maybe help you out a little while I can.” He hurried, searching through the basket and setting all of it’s contents in front of him. He stopped for a moment and placed a hand upon his head, feeling his heart pound inside of it.

The spell. It was starting to pull him back in.

“What’s wrong?” Rima questioned the boy who quickly shook his head at her. Opening his eyes wide she could see the black spots slowly returning to his blue eyes. She knew what was happening and so did he.

The basket contained a bottle of juice, an apple, a small wolf charm, and a box of cookies. Sniffing each of the items, and closely examining them he grinned brightly through the pain.

“She really thinks you're stupid.” He smiled. His head started to pound harder and harder. His vision became blurry and he could feel his anger towards the girl slowly build up inside of him.

“I don’t have much time left to talk to you Red so listen closely. The juice is a mind controlling potion. Stay away from it. The apple is meant for your friend. One bite and she’s dead. The wolf charm is a tracking device so she can keep track of where you are at all times. All of us have the opposite piece, which tells us where you are too. The cookies have the same effect as the apple but those are for the kids. Something sweet for them to nibble on. Please be careful. I have no clue what will happen once the spell kicks back in. I don’t want to harm you Red. ”

He mumbled through his clenched teeth. Looking into his eyes Rima could see a mix of red and blue. It was slowly taking over him again. His fangs were visible and his ears poked out on either side of his head. By the color of them, Rima could tell his wolf was the same tan color as Kai’s.

“Red, be careful out there. Never go out alone. Luhan is the oldest so he’s the biggest. Lay is second and I’m third. You should fear us in that order too.” He shook his head furiously as the voices started to appear again. Voices that told him Rima was evil, a killer and murderer. That she needed to die for them to live happy.

“Go Red. Take the basket. There’s a way for you to make that charm work both ways. I don’t have time to explain. I’m sorry I wasn’t much help in the end. Please Red, I need you to promise me something…” The boy mumbled and Rima sat there, speechless as she watched a final tear roll down the boys cheek.

“Save us.”

He half growled before the blood red eyes returned, covered in black spots. Looking into them now, she could tell the Baekhyun she talked to minutes earlier was long gone and instead replaced by this beast. It glared at her before turning it’s back and taking off into the night. She watched until he was out of sight and only a howl could be heard piercing through the night.

She looked up at the full moon and the stars, knowing that her mission started now.

“I promise, even if it’s the last thing I do. I WILL save you.”