Poison

Twisted Fairy Tales 4: Happily ever after...?

"That is all right with me," answered the peasant woman. "I'll easily get rid of my apples. Here, I'll give you one of them."

"No," said Snow-White, "I cannot accept anything."

"Are you afraid of poison?" asked the old woman. "Look, I'll cut the apple in two. You eat the red half, and I shall eat the white half."

Now the apple had been so artfully made that only the red half was poisoned. Snow-White longed for the beautiful apple, and when she saw that the peasant woman was eating part of it she could no longer resist, and she stuck her hand out and took the poisoned half. She barely had a bite in when she fell to the ground dead.



She sat there, shutting her eyes tightly, practically waiting for her to be shredded to pieces.

I’m dead….I’m so dead...I screwed up big time and now I’m dead…

Her breathing quickened as she listened to the beast before her panting, growling. It hadn’t moved. She could still feel it’s hot breath on her face and she panicked. Her heart could be felt pounding against her chest and hot tears fell from her eyes. She tightened her grip around her knees and buried her head into them.

She sat there as minutes passed her by and to her surprise, she was still alive. Why hadn’t it killed her yet? A loud thud could be heard. She hesitated for a moment before peeking up, looking at the beast.

Raising her head, her eyes widened. She couldn’t believe what she was looking at. There it was, sitting right in front of her as if it were an obedient little puppy. His eyes hadn’t changed in the slightest, he was still fully under her control. She couldn’t understand why it just sat there staring at her, through her.

Her entire body shook and she didn’t know whether it was fear or adrenaline that pushed her up to her feet again. She inched as slowly as she could around the wolf and froze the minute his gaze her. She didn’t dare move as long as his eyes burned a hole through her.

Minutes passed and it’s gaze returned back, staring straight ahead again. Rima sought her chance and forced her body to move forward, past the huge wolf and it’s razor sharp teeth. Standing behind the beast she started to run, not once looking back until curiosity filled her. She slowed down for a moment and stopped, wondering. Why didn’t it kill her? Why did it just sit there? What exactly was it looking at?

Her gaze turned to the floor before she slowly turned around to glance behind her, back at the wolf that nearly killed her, and her eyes widened. Her hand flew up to as she tried her best not to scream. Tried her best not to cry. Tried her best to stay focused. Rima could feel the corners of her lips tug up into a smile as she finally understood why the wolf didn’t attack.

There, behind the invisible wall stood three proud creatures. One rather large and black in color while two white in color stood on either side, eyes shining bright yellow. Her body and mind froze as she stared off into those big yellow eyes. She wanted to run toward him. Wanted to embrace him and fall into his arms. Wanted to feel the warmth of his lips again and he was right there. Right in front of her. So close and yet, days away.

Returning from her daze, she could feel her legs moving further and further away and the wolves slowly disappeared into the distance.

“Are you crazy?! Why are you just standing there?” A voice questioned her. It was then that she realized that she was only moving because she was being dragged behind someone. Blinking, her gaze stayed in the distance. Her mind on those yellow eyes that she’s missed so much.

“But-”

“But nothing! You can’t die yet! We have the wolf you wanted so let’s go!” The voice stated firmly. The more she came to, the more she acknowledged the hand wrapped around her wrist. Recognized the voice to be Goldi and  realized that he was probably long gone by now. At the speed Goldi dragged her, it took them no time at all to arrive at Glinda’s small house outside of town.

“I thought you said this one was harmless!” Glinda yelled as she and the children met the girls at the door. Rima nodded once.

“Where is he?” Instead of answering, Glinda pointed back toward the house.

“I did it. The spell should reverse if he drinks this.” She stated calmly, handing the bottle over to Rima. Taking a deep breath she walked toward the front door.

“Be careful.He’s not harmless.” Hansel mumbled. Rima smirked and nodded at the boy.

“Yeah, well neither am I.”

Twisting the knob she opened the door, surprisingly greeted with an eerie silence. She could tell something wasn’t right. He was hiding, most likely watching her as she stood there, waiting for the perfect chance.

She could smell him, hear his low breaths as he tried his best to stay calm. Closing her eyes she smiled, focusing all of her senses on finding him. She stood there, unmoving. Listening, waiting for him to make that one fatal mistake and it didn’t take long before he did.

Jumping out from behind one of the tables in the back, he charged at the girl, fangs visible and eyes glowing red. She could hear him coming closer and closer until finally

“Stop.” She commanded as her eyes flew open. Glowing red could be seen as fierce as hell’s flames themselves and a gun was pointed at the boys head before he even knew it. She was fast. Faster than him. Something he didn’t expect.

“Back down.” Rima commanded and the boy hesitated. Why should he listen to his enemy? The girl he’s supposed to kill. The one he could kill, right here right now. Growling, he flashed his fangs at her completely ignoring her request.

“I said, back down Baekhyun” She repeated once more. The boy stood there, staring into her red eyes and he became nervous. He didn’t understand. Why did she make him nervous? Why did he feel the sudden urge to obey her? Why did he feel so small compared to her?

Those eyes. The glowing red eyes that bore holes straight through him. The fierceness in them. The fearlessness. The superior look in them. It was because of those eyes. The eyes of a leader.

Slowly, Baekhyun backed away from the girl and sat down on the floor in front of her as if waiting for his next order.

“I’m supposed to kill you but...I can’t. You’re the leader and I know when I’ve met my match.” He stated calmly, his gaze never leaving the girl eyes. She nodded once at him before kneeling down before him at eye level.

“Listen to me. I’m not your leader, I’m your friend understand?” The boy smirked at her, shaking his head.

“Now, you will drink this one way or another. We can do it the easy way and you can do it on your own or I can force you to do it.” Baekhyun looked at the bottle she held toward him and then up at her.

“Poison?”

“Drink it.”

Her voice low, near a deep growl she commanded the boy. He hesitated but he knew he didn’t have a choice. He was stupid enough to fall for a trap like that. He sighed and took the small bottle from the hooded girl. He eyed her for a minute before opening the bottle.

“If I die, you’ll be the first person I haunt.”

Closing his eyes, he ruffled his nose and chugged the contents in one gulp. It tasted sour like milk that had gone bad and the smell resembed something that was decaying but besides that, he didn’t feel very different. Opening his eyes he stared at the girl who now had a hopeful look in her eyes, as if she expected something big to happen.

“What was that? It tasted like-”

His word were cut off as his stomach started to churn, making noises he didn’t know were possible. Clutching it he fell over, laying on his side curled up in a ball. His stomach felt as if a thousand needles were being jabbed into it at once. His head followed shortly and so did his vision. Everytime he opened his eyes everything around him spun in circles. He groaned and whined in pain. Now, he truly believed she had poisoned him. His entire body started to shake as sweat beads could be seen on his forehead. Baekhyun could feel his heart racing and pounding, fast and loud enough to jump straight out of his chest. He crunched up in a small ball, pleading that the pain would just go away and he could die in peace instead of being tortured like this. A small voice pierced through his pain but he couldn’t answer it.

“Baekhyun! Answer me. Are you okay? What’s wrong? Baekhyun!”

He opened his eyes once more and all he could make out was a big red blob spinning around and around and finally nothing. To weak to fight the pain any longer, the boy gave into it, letting go of his stomach and passing out on the floor in front of the girl. His breathing slowed and Rima panicked as she picked up his unconscious body, shaking him back and forth hoping that he would wake up again. Hoping that this was normal. Hoping that she hadn’t really poisoned him by mistake.  

“Baekhyun! Wake up! Say something! Baekhyun!!”