The Circle I Made [SooFany]

Favourite Soshi Fics
The Circle I Made [AO3]
by elapses
SooFany
oneshot


Review:

SooFany is not a ship I'd normally read, but I really enjoyed this fic. It's a spy AU where Sooyoung and Tiffany are agents working for different agencies who are after the same thing, and they're forced to cooperate for a mission. However, of course, it doesn't stop there. I really liked how elapses took their personalities as we'd think of them and put them into such a different AU, and made it work. Sooyoung is often depicted as being very goofy and playful, but she definitely has a soft, serious side that I think is captured very well here. The same for Tiffany: I think this line essentially captures her: It’s hard to follow these switches in mood, the way Tiffany spends half her time bubbly and loud and the other half determined and almost melancholy.


Excerpt:

Tiffany gives her a half-smile, pleased at the little bit of truth she’s uncovered. It’s barely a concession for Sooyoung, but she knows very well what important in its’ own way. They've both been rubbed raw of real identifying information: name, birthdate, hair color, social security number, nervous habits. Sooyoung changes the order in which she applies her makeup daily and listens to a different radio station every day in her kitchenette as she makes herself breakfast, because nothing is more dangerous than habits, but she’s never been able to sleep on her back.

Tiffany is quiet again, though: when Sooyoung nodded off she was flipping through the inflight movie catalogue, cheerily helping the little girl next to her pick out a movie, since the English summaries are always better than the Korean ones. It’s hard to follow these switches in mood, the way Tiffany spends half her time bubbly and loud and the other half determined and almost melancholy. There’s an underlying warmth to her, too: she’s never known a spy to engage in idle small talk the way Tiffany does, asking waitresses about their engagement rings and chatting up stewardesses about which romantic comedies might be worth paying for on the plane. Conversations she can gain nothing from. She’d dismiss it as a weakness, but damned if Tiffany isn’t cracking her open too, bit by bit.