Parents

Babysitter Crush

~Myungsoo~

School ended a few minutes ago. Right now I'm going home. Let me rephrase that, our personal driver is driving me home.

I normally don't take rides from him because I can already drive myself. But today my parents made sure that I went straight home after school.

My parents don't trust me. They gave a little freedom to me at first, but now they're always on me.

Who am I kidding? If I were them, I wouldn't trust me either. If they didn't send our personal driver to come get me, I would've jumped in my car and headed to that awesome club my friends were talking about.

We arrived at home and our driver stepped out to open the door for me. But I was already slamming the door shut before he even got to open it for me. 

I entered my house, not bothering to take off my shoes. What else can my parents do? No matter what I'm going to the babysitter anyway.

I went to the kitchen to grab something to eat. My parents weren't around. Not a surprise. I think that every rich kid has suffered like me. We had to suffer not being able to see our parents a lot. My parents are always busy.

My dad would be in his study. He would be talking to important people on the phone, doing important paperwork, doing things on his important computer.

My mom would be doing the same in her study. My parents almost never have time for me. I guess that's why I became like this. Why I'm so carefree and troubled. 

I feel like they won't be there to stop me anyway. Like a real parent would do. I mean, what if I told them one day that I'm gonna go rob a bank. I could imagine their reaction. Not a care in the world.

"Bye, I'm gonna go rob a bank with my friends!"

"Ok have fun!"

That's how it would be. They won't even take the the time to register what I just said. The only times they even listen is when the authorities are involved. 

They don't want their reputations ruined just because of their son. They don't want their importance to just plunge down the toilet.

What about me huh? Am I important to you? Did you ever stop to think about how I feel? What I want? My well-being?

Never.

~Anna~

"Anna, are you babysitting someone here at home today?" my mom asked me.

"Yes mom," I responded.

"Ok, I'm going out then," she said. She left the house without saying anything more. She didn't say where she was going. Who she was gonna be with.

My mom is so irresponsible. I always wonder why she even became a mom. She isn't ready. She was never ready.

Ever since I was little, my mom would leave me with a babysitter. I almost never got to see her. 

My mom would go to parties and clubs galore. She would drink till she can drink no more. I remember seeing her come home looking as drunk as ever. 

I also remember seeing her come home with some guy. He never really stayed long. He just dropped her off and left. 

You can probably guess it. I don't have a dad. Well, of course I do. But I never knew him. I guess either he left her or she left him. Who am I kidding? If I were him, I wouldn't left her too.

Till this day, my mom has never changed. I always try talking to her when she's not drunk, sleeping, or off partying somewhere. But she never listens to me.

It's like half the time, she doesn't even remember that she has a daughter. I later on started to realize something.

I knew why she didn't like me. Why she never took the time to get to know me and spend time with me as a mother. 

I was an accident.

My mom didn't mean to have me. She just happened to have me. But why didn't she just put me into adoption or something?

I found that out too. My mom hates paperwork. My mom dropped out of high school too. She hates work. She thinks it's all nonsense and just a waste of time. That's why she didn't put me into adoption.

My mom never told me any of this. I just was smart enough to figure it out myself. 

For some reason, I turned out the exact opposite of my mom. I'm a straight A student. I always try my best at school. I'm responsible and caring. I actually care about children.

I owe it mostly to my babysitter. She was a real mom. She really cared for me. I even considered asking my mom if my babysitter can take me instead. But it was too late.

My babysitter stopped coming when she realized that I was mature enough to do things on my own. I was 13. But, what I didn't know was that that was only part of the reason why she had to leave.

It turns out she had cancer. She does about a year later. I was sad of course. She was a true mother to me. I didn't want to lose her. 

To this day, I'm stronger and more mature. I can even handle living on my own now. But despite having a responsible mother, she still needs me. I don't want to be a bad daughter and just leave her alone. 

So I'm living with her for a while. I make her meals, do her laundry, and more. My mom isn't bossy. I'm glad that she isn't. She's just lazy and expects me to do things for her. 

I just wish my mother was mature and responsible enough to do things for herself.

On her own.

~Myungsoo~

I got in the passengers seat next to my dad. He had his blue tooth on his ear. That means he'll be having a conversation on the way to the babysitter. Great...

I strapped on my seat belt. I hope the babysitter didn't live too far from our house. I didn't want to listen to my father's conversation with someone. 

I started to watch the houses. My house is really big. Every house in our neighborhood is big actually. 

The houses started to go down in size. I didn't want a totally rich babysitter. I heard all they did was fuss over how untidy you are. Such snobs.

But the houses weren't so small. I didn't want a poor babysitter either. They would always worry over how small their house is. Or how little god they have to offer me. 

Call me picky, but I didn't want to deal with a poor or rich babysitter. I wanted one that's middle class. Just right. Wow, I just sounded like Goldilocks a moment ago.

My father stopped in front of a house. It wasn't too big or too small. It looked like a house a middle classes person would live in. Just right.

My father waved me off. That's my signal for "Get out." I don't see why my dad could've gave me the direction and the address and let me drive instead. I thought I was gonna drive. But I guess my parents changed their minds last minute. They didn't trust me of course.

I got out of the car and walked to to front door. Here it goes. 

I rang the doorbell.

~Anna~

*Ding Dong*

I heard the doorbell ring. 

I went to go answer the door.

I saw a guy that looked my age. 

Our eyes met for a moment. 

So where's the kid?