Nice to Meet You

Nice to Meet You

Victoria was nervous even before she walked into the restaurant with Kyu Hyun. Kyu Hyun hold her hand in his, giving her courage. When they walked into the restaurant, Mr Song noticed them and quickly stood up from his seat. He smiled awkwardly at both of them.

“Qian, what do you want to eat?” Mr Song passed the menu to Victoria.

“Anything will do,” Victoria didn’t look at him when answering his question. She didn’t know how to face him.

“Uncle, what do you want to eat?” Kyu Hyun tried to ignore the awkward atmosphere going on and smiled at Mr Song.

“Anything,” Mr Song smiled back at Kyu Hyun but soon moved his sight to Victoria again.

The dinner was filled with awkwardness. Both Victoria and her father didn’t say anything to each other but Kyu Hyun kept creating topics to ease the awkwardness. Kyu Hyun excused himself to the toilet towards the end of the dinner but his real intention was so that Victoria would talk to her father.

“Why did you come back now?” The question Victoria always wanted an answer.

“I saw the news about you and Kyu Hyun. I didn’t mean to come to bother you. I just want to make sure that he is treating you well,” Mr Song said. “From what I saw, he’s the right man for you.”

“You never look for me all these years,” Victoria told him. “Do you even care if I’m dead or alive?”

“I looked for you but I was afraid of showing up in front of you,” Mr Song explained. “I’m a jerk. I’m the worst father and husband.”

Victoria didn’t say anything. She just stared at the man in front of her. He is her father. Her only family left now. When she saw the wrinkles on his face and his white hair growing, suddenly she just couldn’t hate him. This man has aged a lot. Now, he is just a father who wanted to make sure that his only daughter is having a happy life.

“I heard that you are one of the top novelists in the country now,” Mr Song said. “Your mother must be proud.”

“How about you?” Victoria asked. “Are you proud of me? Appa.”

“What did you just call me?” Mr Song couldn’t believe what he just heard.

“Appa,” Victoria smiled at him. No more awkwardness, no more hatred, but forgiveness and love.

Mr Song couldn’t control his emotion anymore. For the first time, he cried in front of her. All these years, despite the hardships and challenges he faced for his business in Taiwan, he didn’t show his weak side. But now, just the word ‘Appa’ coming out of Victoria’s mouth touched his heart.

“I’m sorry,” Mr Song said. “Qian, I’m sorry.”

“Appa,” Victoria switched her seat to her father’s side and comforted him.

Kyu Hyun finally came back from the toilet after quite a while. He smiled when he saw what is happening right in front of him. Victoria was hugging her father to calm him down. After the dinner, Kyu Hyun and Victoria sent Mr Song back to the hotel. He decided to stay for a little while longer to enjoy the time spent with Victoria.

“Kyu Hyun, I’m really happy today,” Victoria told Kyu Hyun when they were on the bed, preparing to sleep.

“I know,” Kyu Hyun responded.

“Thank you,” If it wasn’t because of Kyu Hyun, Victoria didn’t know if she would have the courage to face her father again.

Kyu Hyun didn’t say anything else but hugged Victoria tightly. He knew how much courage Victoria had to put down the past tragedy and to forgive her father. Even if the past hurt her, she still managed to get through it. Now, he wanted to let her know that no matter what happen in the future, she doesn’t have to face the problems alone anymore because he will always be there for her. Always.