My Cupid [24]

My Cupid
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The moment Nicole opened her eyes, the quiet and empty room welcomed her. She had fallen asleep last night when she tried to recall the early incident. After tidying up the blanket and washed her face she headed outside and found Jiyong was talking on his phone. He stared at her for a moment and ended the call second later. She walked toward him and sat beside him as he pulled out something from the paper bag he held.

"Thank you," she said, taking the bread he offered. She won't lie that she was quite hungry since last night. "Where's your friend?"

"Working," he replied shortly and then stared at her face. "How's the bruise?"

"It's better now," she fake a smile to avoid his profusely apologize. She wanted to ask the same question but then realize he would say the same thing. It was clearly impossible the pain and sting of the bruises would disappear overnight. "Where do you sleep last night?"

"Don't mind me."

"How about your friend?"

"He slept over his friend's home."

"You too, right?"

"I said don't mind me."

She gave him a look and wrinkled her forehead in between confusion and annoyed. "Okay, I got it you don't need to say it twice. The last thing I could do is at least to make sure that you are safe as well."

His dull expression soon softened as realization dawned on him. "Sorry."

She exhaled deeply and began eating the bread. Her mood had ruined already even before she started the day. She should have used to how Kwon Jiyong behaved around her. Sometimes he acts like a regular polite acquaintance to a super caring friend and then reserved to an annoying cold person by a split second. The more she interacts with him, the more she got confused by his constant changes behavior, and she just couldn't conclude which one was the real him.

"Stay here for a few more days."

She looked up at him immediately, confused. "Why?"

"I believe those people still lurking on us around. This place is the safest, so please just stay here," he demanded.

Nicole was quite taken aback by the tone of his voice. But he was right, and Nicole had no choice but to agree. "But..." she looked up at him again, remembered something. He looked back at her. "Can I go somewhere?" she asked. “I have promised to go.”

Jiyong paused for second but then nodded.

"I'll get going now, then. And  oh, can I borrow this for a while?"

She could see the corner of his lips gave a slight twitch as he stared at the sweater she wore. "Do you think I'm that bad to let you go around with only an undershirt?" he raised his eyebrow as he stood up and said, "Let's go. I'll take you there."

She didn't protest and followed him behind in silence. While they were on the bus, Nicole couldn't help but to stealthily stared at him the whole time, pondered why those gangsters wanted him so bad and who he was actually. Frankly speaking about it, she was still ambiguous about him. How if he was a part of those gangsters? Or perhaps, could all those friendly sides of him was just a lie?

"Stop staring at me." she startled at his sudden voice and looked away awkwardly. From the corner of her eyes, she could see him still gazing ahead, expressionless. He suddenly turned to see her and Nicole pretended to look elsewhere. "You look like want to kill me by that stare."

They were silence for a while before Nicole looked at him again, and she didn't know how she got the courage to slip out the words she wanted to ask for so long. "Where are your parents?"

He seemed to process the question for a while before he answered. "They had passed away two years ago."

Nicole paused for a while. "May I know why?" she asked hesitated.

He watched her unsure look and answered in a very calm manner. "They were killed. Those people from last night killed them."

She quietly scolds herself for how she forgot about it when she had overheard about it once before when he fought with a girl in front of his home. The fact that his parents killed by the gangster from last night feared her. Did they want to do the same thing to him as well? And what was the reason behind it all?

As they reached the entrance of the apartment building, she was still deep thinking about it. Jiyong noticed it and called her name, pulled her back to reality as he told her to get inside.

"Call me when you're finished. I'll pick you up." He was about turning around when she suddenly tugged his shirt. He turned back with a questioned look.

"Will you be okay?"

He smirked a little before put on a faintly smile. "Worry about yourself." he gestured the girl to enter the building.

Nicole turned to walk inside the building and took the elevator. Hyun Mi greeted her happily when she opened the door and brought her inside Jaejoong's Mom room. The older woman sat by the window in the wheelchair, gazing blankly outside the city.

"Where's Oppa?" she asked quietly.

"He got a call from the office, and they want him to attend the meeting today."

Nicole nodded her head and walked closer toward the older woman. The latter looked at her and gave her a smile as the younger knelt beside her. Hyun Mi's mouth dropped open gawping in astonished seeing how the older reacted to the younger.

"Good morning, you wouldn't mind I come over to visit you, right?" Nicole softly beamed and reached the older hands. The latter squeezed the younger hand as she gave her an ear to ear grin. "Hyun, what auntie usually does in the morning?" Nicole turned to Hyun Mi.

Hyun Mi neared the two and whispered, "Mrs. Kim likes to arrange some flowers."

"Really?" Nicole shifted her gaze to the older and excitedly said, "Should we arrange flowers today as well?"

Hyun Mi brought the materials to the living room. The older woman started selecting the flowers as if she used to it already. She removed the leaves carefully and cut the flowers stems diagonally. Nicole looked at Hyun Mi blankly since she didn't know how to make a start. Hyun Mi chuckled and taught her step by step patiently. The three of them were too immersed on the arranging and without they realize it had been two hours already when they finished arranging three big flowers.

Nicole smiled radiantly, satisfied with the result. "You did so well, auntie."

"Yes, Mrs. Kim, you also did well for today." Hyun Mi beamed and clapped her hands.

The older broke into a laugh inwardly for the compliment as she studied the flowers one by one.

"Hyun, has auntie ever gardening before? I mean like planting fruit seeds or some flowers."

"It's one of her hobbies back then when she was still in the hospital, but she can't do it here since this apartment only have a small balcony."

"You're right." Nicole sighed. "Then, how about take auntie for a walk?"

Hyun Mi's expression changed to an uneasy one. "Is it okay?"

"Of course, she needs fresh air. Moreover, it's not good to keep her inside all day." she convinced, and Hyun Mi gave in in the end.

They strolled around outside the apartment, and Nicole didn't expect the older would enjoy it as it showed on her face how excited she was. After thirty minutes of walking around, they went back to the apartment and feeding the older her lunch.

Nicole was in the kitchen preparing a dinner when Hyun Mi sat beside her, helping her cutting the onion.

"Is she sleeping?" Nicole asked.

"Yes."

"You seems to know ever

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter