My Cupid [18]

My Cupid
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nicole was wrong for thinking Kim Jaejoong would make up with his aunt by visiting her that morning. When Jaejoong brought her to the hospital, she thought they’d visit his aunt. Instead, she got herself handing out the medium sized gift box that she recommended him the other day before, to the woman that according to him wasn’t his aunt. Pulling her hand back, Nicole plastered a polite smile as the older woman landed her attention on the man next to her.

“She’s my friend, mom.” 

 A smile that formed on the girl’s face lost for a moment. Turning her head to the man beside her didn’t make her got the answer to the sudden questions she had in her head, but he made it more confusing for her to solve it.

“Nicole, she’s my mom.” he introduced and held the older woman’s hands with a lovingly look. “Her name is Nicole, mom. Nicole. Jung Nicole.”

As if the older woman hypnotized by his words, she turned her head to the younger girl and gave her a curious look. Nicole bowed her head lightly as she introduced herself.

“Her name is pretty, isn’t it mom? But her heart is pretty too, just like you.”

“But my son is handsome!” the older woman suddenly hollered.

Jaejoong tightened his grip on her hand and put his cheeks on it. “I always am in mom’s eyes, right? That’s why you should back home soon, mom.”

“Home? My son, I want to see him! I miss my son! Give me back my son!” 

Nicole was taken aback by the sudden hysterical scream. She took a step back as she clutched her handbag tightly. She just stood there looking at the scene and thinking how he could maintain to calm himself by embraced the older woman who hit his back continuously until she felt a pair of hands on her shoulder. Nicole turned to saw the two nurses asking her to leave the room.  

Not wanting to bother any longer, she hurriedly left the room and walked to the garden. She sat on the wooden chair beside the blonde girl who was enthusiastically playing with her doll. The blonde girl grinned at her sudden appearance and moved closer. Out of sudden, the blonde girl pulled Nicole’s hair, as the victim hissed in pain demanding her to stop.

“Don’t! Stop!” one of the nurses came forward after seeing the scene, pulling the blonde girl off her.

It seemed the scenes somewhat looked interesting, judging from how many people out there stopped to watch and clapped happily. 

“They somehow can be aggressive, miss. I suggest you wait in the waiting room.” The nurse said as she brought the blonde girl inside her room. 

Nicole made her way to the waiting room and sat in there for ten minutes long, before finally decided to send a message to Jaejoong to inform him she’d back to Seoul first and for him to take his time to take care of his mom.

Nicole arrived in Seoul at 8 P.M. She wouldn’t want to drop by Hara’s workplace if she had a spare house key. But unfortunately, she needed to.

“I’m hungry, thirsty and tired, can you give a solution to get rid those problems of mine, miss?” Nicole rested her chin on the counter.

Hara turned her attention to Nicole and smiled. “The solution for problem number one is a plate of pasta, the solution for problem number two is a cup of smoothie, and the solution for the last is still in progress while I’m making your food and drink.”

Nicole chuckled and following her friend into the kitchen. “The bell rang when I entered, but you didn’t welcome me. What if it’s another customer?” she grumbled that Hara hadn’t heard her coming.

“Because I knew it was you I didn’t make any effort.”

Nicole snorted. “Unfair.”

“So how was your date?” Hara changed the topic.

“We went to Gwangju. And, mark it, it’s not a date.” 

“Gwangju? What are you guys doing there?” Hara asked curiously.

“Refreshing.” 

“But isn’t it quite far from here?” Hara asked as she put the food and drink onto the table.

Nicole shrugged. She didn’t want to tell her friend that Jaejoong brought her to the mental hospital to visit his Mother.“Um, this tastes good. You made it?”

“The pasta is from Jieul, but hey, why don’t you go greet your friend right there?”

“Friend?” 

“Yes, that guy, he’s been coming here these past two days to find you. He said he wants to meet you.” Hara pointed to the man in the corner. His back was facing them. “He ordered this before. Go take this and greet him.” Hara passed the tray on Nicole’s hand.

Leaving her spot, Nicole stood and walked to the table in the corner. He was gazing out the window and didn’t realize her presence. When she put the tray on the table and set his order, he finally turned his head and looked at her.

With a leather black jacket and caps, he looked vaguely familiar. “Enjoy your order, sir,” Nicole bowed and smiled politely. 

He nodded lightly and turned his attention back to the road outside the window. 

Seeing there was no reaction from him made her confused considering what Hara said that he was there for her. Maybe he didn’t recognize her face. Maybe he wanted some more time alone before going to greet her. But then again, she couldn’t recall who this person was. So Nicole returned to her seat with her eyes was still confusedly staring at him.

“He didn’t say anything?” Hara asked curiously soon as Nicole sat beside her.

“I don’t think he even knows me.”

“But he said he’s looking for you. He didn’t tell me his reason, though. But, he even spelled your actual name. Jung Yongjoo.” Hara said rather confused. “You don’t know him?”

Nicole was quiet for a while, recalling her memories, but she couldn’t find the image of this guy in her mind until she finally remembered.

“Oh! I remember I met him once, no, twice. He’s the guy I told you before. The last time I bumped into him, he called my name. So literally he does know me.” she exclaimed suddenly.

“But who’s this guy? If he’s your friend it most likely he also is a friend of mine. But I don’t think I’ve ever seen him before.” 

“Just leave him alone. By the way, you better clean up the table while I’m eating my pasta.” Nicole shoved her friend aside and continued eating her food. “So where’s the answer for problem number three?”

“Your mysterious friend is the answer. You’re no longer bored now, aren’t you?” Hara hit her head lightly and walked to the table to clean it up as she shouted ‘thank you’ to the customer who just left.

The coffee shop usually closed at 11 P.M. The owner shortened the opening hours since the other worker took weeks off work. Nicole came at night to help Hara since the girl handled everything by herself. And being a generous person he was, the owner would always give her tip even though Nicole was just willing to help her friend.

The tables were already clean as Hara untied her apron and approached Nicole who was waiting for her behind the counter. She elbowed Nicole, trying to get her to tell the guy in the corner that the shop closed already, but Nicole shook her head, refusing to comply her request. Hara groaned a little and walked to the table when the guy suddenly rose from the chair and exited the shop.

Hara stood dumbfounded as Nicole who was watching behind raised an eyebrow.

“He’s weird,” Hara shook her head and reached her yellow bag on the counter, pulling Nicole beside her to leave the shop. 

They began walked their way home on the sidewalk. The wind blew a cold breeze making the two fastened their pace. That was when Nicole saw a shadow cast behind them, as she turned her head lightly. 

“Oh my god!” Hara stopped on her track and hit her forehead. “I forgot my phone. I’ll pick it up, wait for me,” she jogged back to the coffee shop.

Nicole watched her surrounding. Only four or three cars passing by, and not even a sight of people walking on the sidewalk. But her instinct told her that someone was behind her. Gearing up her courage, Nicole spun around and found the mysterious guy at the shop earlier standing behind her.

For a moment she was ready to show her annoyance. This person had been following her around and claimed himself as her friend. 

Her phone suddenly rang. Nicole took a step back and answered quietly, made herself as far as possible from the stranger guy.

“Miss, what are you doing there by yourself at this chilly night?” the voice spoke from the other line.

She pulled down her phone to see the owner of the voice that displayed on the screen. She then turned her attention across the street and put her phone back on her ear.

“Come here,” said the voice. 

Without even looking back to the stranger, Nicole walked towards the car that parked at the side of the street. She stepped inside and welcomed by Jaejoong’s smile.

“What are you doing there in such a cold night like this?” he wrapped a comfy scarf around her neck and gave a white fur jacket on her hand that she left in his car on their ride to Gwangju.

“I forgot to bring my key, so I decided to go home with Hara."

“But where’s she?”

“She went back to the shop to take up something,” she said and continued, “I’m sorry. I left without telling you first.”

Jaejoong carved a smile, “It’s okay. I also want to say sorry for not telling you the truth that we were going to visit my mom.” 

Truthfully she didn’t know how to react to his words because she was shocked to found out that his mom was still alive because for all this time she thought his parents had passed away. Then she remembered Junsu and Changmin told her that it was only his father who passed away in that tragic accident.

“Mom has been there since five years ago. It’s hard for her to accept all this incident that happened to us, and still think my dad is still here,” he said under his breath. She could see the sadness in his eyes, and she reached her hand over his shoulder. “She didn’t even recognize me anymore, she has been looking for me for years when I always beside her, but she didn’t know me. We’re tumbling down more and more, and I don’t know how to maintain it, and I...” he paused as he tried hard not to let his tears fall, but the words ‘let it out’ from her made him broke in second.

“I can protect her. I can take care of her. But everyone won’t let me because they judge me as an incapable teenager. I never want to leave her in that place. I feel so useless as a son.”

She put his head in her embrace, and let him broke once again. But this time he wasn’t alone because she also could feel his pain in her chest. It hurts her to see him revealed his pain. She tightened her embrace, hoping it could ease his sadness. She hoped he could forget his pain for a while, just like how she forgot about her friend who came back

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter