The 6 Myths

6 Myths

                “... the 6 myths were legendary creatures that invaded human population centuries. It was said that they are the originator of diseases and maladies, bringing misfortunes towards the human kind.” Kim DongWan, a student, wearing glasses and is reporting about legendary folklore. He stood in front of the dull class, continuing his report. His teacher sits at the corner, taking notes on how he reports.

                “Okay, go on” the teacher signals him. DongWan nods and looks at his notes again.

                “As what they’re called, the 6 myths comprises of 6 different creatures. The 6-tailed moon fox, the deceiver, the traveller, the winter prince, the wild beast, and the death crow.” DongWan said. “All these creatures are different in appearance and their abilities.”

                “Can you show us these creatures, DongWan-geun?” A female student in the front row known as Lee Hwayoung asks. DongWan nodded and goes to his laptop which was already connected to the projector.

                “These are the pictures that I have found in an antique library in MokPo as it was the last city that the 6 myths were said to be last seen. First, I give you... The 6 tailed Moon Fox” The picture showed a silver fox, it’s front paws and hind legs were coloured black. The fox have 6 tails behind and a moon shaped thing is attached on the fore head. “It’s characteristic was still unknown, but it was said to be the first one to wake up when a major eclipse happen. The locals say that he wakes up the other creatures... notice that he has 6 tails, it means that each tail represent each of the creatures including himself” DongWan explained and scans at the class, seeing as they were interested.

                DongWan pressed the next button and shows another image. It was an image of a shadow with 2 glowing eyes. There’s fog surrounding the shadow that the students couldn’t see its face. “This is the deceiver. The deceiver shift shapes into different living or non-living things. It is also said that when it is within your sight, misfortune will also follow you". He presses the next button again.

                “This is the traveller” DongWan pauses abruptly and clears his throat. On the image seen was a back of a person with eagle wings. “The traveller was said to be the creature that has seen the world and can open new portals leading to different dimensions.”

                 DongWan looks forth to see HwaYoung immersed on the report, he blushes a little but that didn’t last long when he saw Shin Hana who was yawning and seemingly bored at the lecture. He scoffs inside and continues on his report. He then taps the next button and the mage shows an ice path in the middle of a green forest. On the end of the path was another shadow, except it was a white transparent shadow creating trails of ice.

                “This is the Winter prince... it was said that he’s the deadly among the 6 myths, not because he’s too powerful, but everything he touch becomes ice. He usually is seen not in the snowy areas but in areas such as the forests and deserts.” DongWan explained then he taps the next button again.

                The image shows another forest except it was surrounded by large trees with large claw marks on it. The other trees were destroyed, not by chopping but it was as though ripped from the soil. In the middle of the picture is the back of a large creature, its claws were as large as its paws. “This is the wild beast... the strongest among the 6 myths. As you can see the trees were severely cut or bruised, it’s the creature’s doing. The wild beast is scarier and can kill in matter of seconds... it cannot feel exhaustion and has the capacity to breathe underwater... then the last...” DongWan presses the next button.

                “This is the death crow...” The image shows a graveyard with a monument of an angel raising its hand. Sitting on the angel’s shoulder was a large bird... or was it a bird? Its wings were jet black and seemingly sharp. The body cannot be seen because the wings are covering it. “The death crow was said to be Death’s brother and son of Hades... he can raise the dead and create a vast army of the undead” DongWan said with finality in his tone. He looks at the students seriously and the students looks at the pictures interestingly.

                “What causes them to get to sleep?” HwaYoung asks.

                “The reason why they were put to sleep is that they were caught by a ‘muse’. The muse is the reason why they wake up and the reason to why they sleep. Also, the muse cast the bind spell among these myths to prevent them to wake up too soon.” DongWan said. The teacher then stands up and went to the middle.

                “The report is good, but now the remaining question is... are they real or not” The teacher said. “You may take your seat Mr. Kim” DongWan went towards his seat beside Shin Hana who gave him a smirk. HwaYoung raised her hand.

                “Sir, is there any possibilities that these myths existed?” HwaYoung asks.

                “Hmmmm... it’s hard to say” The teacher said when Hana raises her hand.

                “I don’t think so... as their name goes ‘myths’... mean they are just actual legends. There is no possibility that they even exist” Hana said and the teacher nods his head pensively just then HwaYoung turns to Hana.

                “As the report says, they were last seen in MokPo, means there is a possibility that they existed.” Hwayoung insisted. “Plus as you can see, the pictures are authenticated since it was taken from the Museum”

                “Ms. Lee... if they really existed, how come they have not shown themselves the last time there was a major eclipse during 1998?” Hanna said. HwaYoung purses her lips. “These are just myths that help to our cultural tradition which explains the vast number of unknown creatures that our ancestors know of” The teacher nodded.

                “You have a very good point, Ms Shin” The teacher said. “And to this, class, we’re going to have field trip regarding this folklore in MokPo. That’s why I asked Mr. Kim dongWan to report it today” At the word ‘field trip’ the students cheered.

...

                “Do you really think they don’t exist?” DongWan asks, walking their way home.

                “What—the 6 myths?” Hana laughs at him. “Of course they don’t! I mean where are they now?”

                “They could be hiding” DongWan said a mysterious tone.

                “Then they should show up right now to prove me wrong” Hana said.

                “You are too blunt, Hana” DongWan said. Hana looked at him with a blank expression.

                “What... I was just telling my point” Hana said, looking forth without even giving a single look at DongWan.

                “Your point is to put HwaYoung in embarrassment” DongWan said with a bit of disappointment in his tone. “Just because you don’t like her, doesn’t mean you can pick on her” Hana rolls her eyes.

                “Please... just because you like her doesn’t mean all she does is perfect!” Hana said incredulously. “A perfect body, perfect hair, perfect face, perfect personality, not to mention the campus crush—she’s too perfect for your opinion! WELL SHE ISN’T!”

                “You’re just jealous” DongWan said. “You see, she has all the things you don’t—you’re average” Hana flinched at his words and stops her tracks letting the chuckling DongWan walk forth. Hana felt a tinge of pain inside her. Eventually, dongWan stops walking and look at her.

                “No... I’m just basing everything in reality, Mr. Kim” Hana said sadly.

                “Aish... don’t involve people in your reality” DongWan said and laughs. “Some of us wants to escape in our own world of fantasy... and mine is to date Lee HwaYoung”

                “But you’re my fantasy...” Hana mumbles.

                “What?” DongWan asks, not quite listening to her.

                “Nothing” Hana said hurriedly.

                “Yah, come on, let’s go home before it gets dark, average girl” DongWan said and Hana didn’t budge. She just let him go forth. “Yah... aren’t you coming?”

                “You go first” Hana said.

                “Yah, I always walk you home, come on” DongWan said.

                “I want to go to the park, you go home first” Hana said softly.

                “Huh?” DongWan frowned.

                “Just... go home will you?!” Hana said and retreats towards the other side of the road, leaving DongWan, confused at what just happened.

                Hana keeps on walking, feeling upset at what DongWan just said. Though what he said is true, but it still hurts.

                Idiot DongWan... and you’re calling me blunt?!

                Hana mumbles to herself as she kicks a few loose rocks along the way. It’s tre that dongWan always walks her home since their houses were close by; he had been doing this since middle school until now that they are in High school. Everyone thinks that there’s something in between them—in which Hana hopefully wished that there is—but there’s really nothing special with the two of them. DongWan just sees her like another girl next door.

                She knows all his ideal types—the y ones with long legs, perfectly toned skin, Straight—well taken care of hair and the one that makes every guy swoon, her charms. HAna was far from the description, if there’s one thing she’s proud of, it’s her almond eyes, but alas, how can anyone notice her eyes when she’s wearing eyeglass?

                Hana is an 18 year-old plain girl like any other girls are. Even though she has guts and confidence with her intelligence, it’s her physical appearance made her sink. She’s not that ugly, she’s not too pretty either... and just like what DongWan said, she’s just an average.

                “Who am I kidding?” Hana told herself as she passes a shop’s window which reflects her image. “I am nothing compared to HwaYoung...”

                Hana looks down in disappointment. She never had a boyfriend before... one reason is that she sticks close to DongWan and another reason is that no one bothers to court her. She reaches the park and immediately went to sit on one of the bench. It was already sun down, she expected to see a lot of people, but then... the park is deserted. But then, she remembered that she passed a few passersby, how come no one’s there?

                She looks around to see if there’s someone, but there was not a single soul.

                She looks back at the shop she passed earlier—it was packed with people—but as she looks at it, the shop was also deserted. Hana felt sudden chills hit her spine. She looks around again to see if there’s a person... but no.

                Grrr...

                Hana jumped—but instead on landing on her feet, it was as though gravity left her and everything became light. Hana freaks out and flails her hand in the air. The wind suddenly grew harsh that she was blown along with it.

                “AAAAAAHHHH” Hana was trying to regain her stance when suddenly everthing around her disappeared.

                She was engulfed in the sudden darkness. And when she opens her eyes... a beautiful view lies before her. It was as though she’s in space—with all the sparkling stars all around her. Still she can’t regain her stance when suddenly... there’s a huge orb in front of her. She realizes it looked like the moon.

                Grrr!

                Hana hears the growling sound again... he looks around, nothing but stars. But the time she turns her head, she saw someone. A tall and handsome man appears before her. She was too immersed with his face before she realizes that his eyes were different. His eyes were sharp and his dilated pupils were coloured golden yellow, his brows were also silver in colour, but it was shaved in 3 parts. There is a moon orb on his forehead. His hair was rather messy and spiky, but it was also silver in colour.

                What surprises Hana most... is his garments. His clothes seemed to be made of silver fur, covering his sleeveless torso and his lower area seemed to be made of leather hide. His muscles were well-defined and it was just right for his body. Another thing... he has 6 furry tails.

                Hana was caught off-speech at his sight. She’s amazed and at the same time she’s scared at him. She doesn’t even know where she is and she’s floating while he was standing before her. That’s when the ‘man’ opens his mouth:

                “I am in front of you... non-believer”


Aimei: omo... who was that?! can you guys guess who showed up before her? ehehhe